Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Pull start OWB. Lube or no Lube

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
tiemac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start OWB. Lube or no Lube

Pull start on my O.S. 18 Started slipping so I searched the forums and web for info. As far as the OWB goes Lots of forum post say clean but don't lube. O.S. Engine web site says: Clean bearing and let dry then lubricate (may use 4 in 1 oil or any weight shock oil) Traxxas web site says: Lube with mobile one 5w30 synthetic oil ( do not substitute other oils).

I just dont want to take apart again to soon so what are everyone's suggestions?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 AM
chookman46

Default RE: Pull start OWB. Lube or no Lube

Personally I wouldn't worry about lube. Thats probably the main reason why it was slipping to start with. Where the starter shaft goes through the backblate it only runs in a brass bush. There is no seal on the shaft so it will leak again and "lube" the oneway bearing again all by itself. I really dont like pull starts mainly due to fact that the OWB always slip, and kept getting sick of pulling them apart. In the end i found a electrical cleaner that was plastic safe with one of those thin extension nozzles that you stick on the end. Get that and put the entension down the hole where the pullstart cord goes into and give it a good clean out. This save you alot of time pulling it apart to clean the OWB out. You may want to drill a small hole in the bottom on the pull start cover to let everything drain out too. Better yet get a starter box and pull the pullstart off.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 AM
jpilkinton

I wouldn't put any oil on the owb. That is the cause of the problems with pullstarts.
If I were you, pull the pullstart off and either buy another backplate or tap the bronze bushing(like I do) and locktite a bolt in the bushing.

Quote: "I just dont want to take apart again to soon"
Get ready, it will happen again and again and again!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Technex

I've never have one slip so I can't really help. As someone said fuel will lube it anyway. I know on helis they don't last very long unless you grease them though...
Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Spetz

When my OS bearing was slipping I just cleaned it and put it back
Don't forget that oil from the engines leaks onto there and that's the actual cause of it slipping

When the cleaning intervals become too short just change the backplate and/or the starting shaft and you're good to go
Old 11-13-2008, 08:23 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: tiemac

Pull start on my O.S. 18 Started slipping so I searched the forums and web for info. As far as the OWB goes Lots of forum post say clean but don't lube. O.S. Engine web site says: Clean bearing and let dry then lubricate (may use 4 in 1 oil or any weight shock oil) Traxxas web site says: Lube with mobile one 5w30 synthetic oil ( do not substitute other oils).

I just dont want to take apart again to soon so what are everyone's suggestions?
Soak your OWB in Mobil one, wipe off the excess and you should be good.