Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

clutch system installation???

Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
1cougar1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch system installation???

so i dont know if anyone's going to be able to explain this to me w/out any cnfustion but im going to try. i bought a picco p7r evo 2 .21 for my 8ight about 7 months ago. well over the past 7 months ive been trying to accumulate the required parts for a engine swap. i now have my new engine mount, flywheel, clutch shoes, springs, bearings and a bell, also a jp-3 pipe and header. so now. do i just slide on the flywheel. then i think the coupler(its the little brass fitting)goes on then put the shoes and sprngs onto the flywheel along w/ the bearings then the bell??? i need a step by step description on how to and which piece is to go on first and how it should feel/look when its on right. the only thing i know about replacing a engine is when the clutch bell is on right it should spin really freely around the shoes/flywheel. this is my first engine replacment so some of you older guys dont think im some kinda of nimbrod. anyway i hope someone can help. oh yeah the only advice i could get from hobbytown (over the phone) is when you buy your new engine make sure the new mill you buy has the same style crankshaft....? well the mach 427 has a SG shaft and so does the picco p7r evo 2 so i guess its a thumbs up for that one. thanx agian, clay unruh
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE: clutch system installation???

Wow one of those engines and you can't figure out a clutch?

Your average clutch assembly.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM
1cougar1

what do you mean "one of those engines". what engie would you get when it was time to replace it? i read about a lt of diff. engines. and in the in the ofna dscripotion and in the pril 4 issue of radio conrol car action they say that the picco p7r is a great all around engine great for racng and right at home in the backyard. and its not that i counldnt figure it out. i was just basically confused aout what to do w/ the little brasss collet. what engine would you have recomended to me. besodes i wanted at racier engine than the mach 427.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
NitroVette

He basically means " you have a killer engine but don't know how to install a clutch. Losi makes a great tool to easily remove and replace springs. The instructions are straightforward and it's much easier than trying to use a screwdriver.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA99168
Old 04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
---RC PiNYoT---

ORIGINAL: 1cougar1

i was just basically confused aout what to do w/ the little brasss collet.
I think the brass collet you were refering to is the cone shaped brass fitting that goes behind the flywheel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11824.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1178893  
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 PM
jikkuria

the collet goes behind the flywheel. first goes the collet, then the fly wheel on top of it, then the fly wheel nut. now you will put your springs in the clutch shoes ans pop em on the pins, and make sure the little arm on the clutch springs go on to the flywheel nut so that you have to pull quite hard to pull it away from the center.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
1cougar1

now you say the collet goes on first then the flywheel. on the crankshaft just where it starting to come out of the engine(on my picco) theres a little brass piece. is this the collet already installed and i only need the collet i got w/ the flywheel if the engine doesnt have it aklready? im only asing this question cause i was reading in the ultimate nitro engine guide about putting in a new flywheel and clutch system and it said put the collet on if your engines crankshaft doesnt already have one. "doesnt already have one"? and on my picco right where you say the collet goes on, before you put the flywheel on theres a little brass looking washer that could be the collet already installed. do i sound like a dumb*****. i hope i dont look too stupid asking this question, clay unruh
Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
jikkuria

no issue, but if it looks like the collet, it probably is, best way to tell is to post a pic.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
1cougar1

yeah id like topost a pic but i only have a crappy msntv and i dont know how to upload a photo. dont think its possible. ill look at my collet tht came w/ the flywheel and see if it looks like this piece thats alread on the shaft of my picco. what do you mean when you say no issue
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
1cougar1

turns out the brass fitting that the engine alrady had was the collet. so now let me get this straight. first the collet, then the flywheel, then the flywheel nut(how tight should i make this)then it looks like theres a washer then the bigger clutch bearingthen the clutch bell then the little bearing , then the clutch nut and screw? my hardware came w/ soe washers to, lttle white skinny ssmall washers and a few bigge rwaqshers. where in the line up do they go. sorry about no pic'. clay unruh oh yeah what about lube for the bearings wd40 or what?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM
pur3evil

Dude... read the manual!!

Page 30 has the info you need.

http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/Pro...GHT_Manual.pdf

-Howard
Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 AM
jikkuria

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxdq0Sx2-Tw]video[/link]
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 AM
1cougar1

you know im not as dumb as you might think! first of all my 8ight was a rtr to start w/. and the rtr manuel doesnt even have 30 pages maybe 10. second i mis- placed it and i think my sis wound up throwing it away. and you say oh, well go on he web and look the manuel up. well ive tryed that and for some reason the losi manuels wont download cause i have a stupid msntv not a computer. and thanx for the link but when i clicked it i waited about 10 min. finally my msntv turned itself off cause it wasnt connecting.somthing screwy about the losi manuels and my msntv. clay unruh
Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 AM
jikkuria

i believe the small white washers go on the flywheel pins then the clutch shoes. the bearings should go in the spaces in the clutch bell and just slide over the shoes once you have them on. the bigger washers are just to shim it in case there is any excess play. then hold it all down with the screw, oh, and you should get the nut holding the flywheel on pretty tight.

1. collet
2. fly wheel
3. nut
4. put springs in shoes
5.place spring/shoe combo on flywheel(make sure the nut is between the long and short arms of the spring when it's in the shoe)
6. place bearings in clutch bell
7. place bell on crank shaft
8. shim accordingly
9. place screw in crank tip

final product should look like this, but on the motor
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
1cougar1

yeah that looks good, but my 8ights a 4 shoe not a three. but i think i got it now. thanx ,clay unrh
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
jikkuria

yea pretty much the same thing, but with one extra.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 PM
pur3evil

Ah... No worries!

Here ya go:

Hope that helps! The only thing I would recommend you do differently is not to use loctite on the clutch pins. It makes it damn near impossible to remove them. I don't loctite the clutch nut either.

-Howard
Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
peterm8133

hi ive got a CEN 3.5 mitsibishi but i managed to break the part of the engine that links to the piston arm . is this relitivly easy to get parts for and fix or should i get a new engine it is about 2 years old sorry if i come across as a "noob" but its my first nitro car i normally use eletric
any advide would be much appreciated.
thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
jikkuria

do you mean the pin on the crankshaft.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 AM
peterm8133

hi its not the pin its the top of the crank shaft the piece that the pin goes through has shattered
Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 PM
jikkuria

do you mean the crank shaft? plz post a pc...that will make it much easier to tell. but it shouldnt be too hard.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:33 PM
gokartingbob455

ORIGINAL: NitroVette

He basically means " you have a killer engine but don't know how to install a clutch. Losi makes a great tool to easily remove and replace springs. The instructions are straightforward and it's much easier than trying to use a screwdriver.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA99168
does that tool work on most buggies?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
1cougar1

i heard that losi tool and most clutcjh shoe tool are junk but some people like them so go figure. now i got it all together only problem is not matter howlittle or how much i shi the screw at the end wont let the clutch bell spin free, and when i loosen it up. it just seems too loose and that vibration will unscrew it. they say to have the screw snug but not tight well snugs too snug.i thought the shims where to just keep the bell away from the flywheel, what else are they for?