Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

ENGINE SEALANT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
super_jordan_23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE SEALANT

I HAVE AN AIR LEAK ON MY NITRO ENGINE. WHAT SHOULD I DO, WHAT TYPE OF SEALANT SHOULD I PURCHASE. IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A RELIABLE WEBSITE THAT SELLS SEALANT.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
xjqkz

Default RE: ENGINE SEALANT

autozone.com
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Chris_RC

Get Lucky 7. If you are in DIER need, then you can get copper based RTV from the auto parts store but that is not nitro proff while Lucky 7 is. You can get it at amainhobbies.com
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Valdeck

what makes lucky nitro proof?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 AM
savagecommander

just hit up your local auto parts store and get a silicone based rtv.....
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silicone melts with contact to nitromethane...... Racers Edge is a nitro proof silicone, so is Threebond 1211......... copper RTV is not a good sealant as it will melt with exposure to nitromethane...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
madmaxx1

i use permatex sensor safe black RTV on all my engine's and never had an issue

got a nice big tube for $4.99 @ canadian tire
Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
supertib

it works, but if nitro makes contact it will melt....wouldnt you rather use a sealant that is actually nitro proof ?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first engine I ever sealed, I used regular clear RTV (bathroom stuff).  As far as I could tell, the acidic acid in it never etched the aluminum block, and it never melted or came loose from fuel.  I had to remove it once (to dissasemble and clean the carb) and it was stuck pretty good and no visible change to the parts underneath.

I have bought a tube of the red/orange sensor safe stuff since then.  It works fine too, and it's recommended by people whom I'm sure have more experience than me.

ps: And I really like the fact my OS 30VG has o-rings around the pinch bolt.  Never needed to seal that engine.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: supertib

silicone melts with contact to nitromethane...... Racers Edge is a nitro proof silicone, so is Threebond 1211......... copper RTV is not a good sealant as it will melt with exposure to nitromethane...

youve got it backwards- why dont the fuel lines melt then? gas eats silicone. ive sealed my surefire.32 with permatex sensor safe blue rtv silicone gasket maker for over five years....
Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM
dittch
Banned

I don't believe the comments about the silicone based RTV dissolving in nitro fuel.

I've been using RTV silicone sealant for years, not one problem. Also, after reading this thread I took a chunk of it (the plug that sometimes forms in the 'nozzel' of the tube) and soaked it in my 20% nitro fuel. Checked it this morning and it was just fine, no signs of deterioration. I'll leave it in there and see if anything happens to it in the near future.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 AM
supertib

guys I know what i am talking about...regular silicone is not nitro proof LOL ...use whatever you wish, but I assure you regular silicone melts in nitro... use a proper sealant that is truly nitro proof...Threebond 1211 or Racers edge sealant, they are a far superior product that will seal much better.... I am not going to argue with you guys over this as i know I am correct......
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
supertib

Trust me, I am not mistaken.... regular silicone is not nitro methane proof.. there are special silicones that are nitro proof, Threebond 1211 is one of them, so is racers Edge sealant....As I say regualar silicone will work, but it will melt and become soft under any real contact with Nitro, the other products i recoemend will not..... I use 1211 to fill my lightened cranks on my modded motors, regualr silicone will melt and damage the engine....Having good luck with 1 Surefire 32 still doesn't mean you are correct I am sorry to say..... either way if you guys think you know so much better then I do then carry on....
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM
supertib

Here is the best of the best sealant when it comes to these engines.... it is the only product I trust to fill my cranks i lighten, anything else is just a lesser product...

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/ac...ries121737.htm
Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Argess

Supertib:

I'm not disagreeing with you. Not really sure anyone is. Just keep in mind that although one might be better than another, it doesn't mean the "other" won't work to a satisfactory extent.

I have no doubt the sealant you recommend is the best, as I can tell from your posts you do know what you're talking about when it comes to engines. But it doesn't mean other sealants are no good. Maybe inferior, but if handy at the time, they will work. How long? Well, quite long for me. Maybe less for others depending on fuel spillage, etc. Trying crappy sealant you already have to see if it fixes a problem, and subsequently ordering the"proper" sealant once the issue has been confirmed, is fine.

Take it easy. You've already earned much respect on this forum. I believe you.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
savagecommander

guys I know what i am talking about...regular silicone is not nitro proof LOL ...use whatever you wish, but I assure you regular silicone melts in nitro... use a proper sealant that is truly nitro proof...Threebond 1211 or Racers edge sealant, they are a far superior product that will seal much better.... I am not going to argue with you guys over this as i know I am correct......

ha ha ha!! can you believe this guy? "i know i am correct"....... my motor is still tight as a drum though bud, sorry.

and i guess all these articles are wrong too then huh?

http://www.nitro.com.cy/site/index.p...mart&Itemid=53

http://www.funrcboats.com/category.aspx?categoryID=38

http://www.helihobby.com/html/helicopter_fuel_line.html

http://www.zoomshobbies.com/ProductD...ProductID=4082

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=239269
Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 AM
dittch
Banned

2 days now and that piece of RTV silicone soaking in nitro fuel is still not breaking apart or showing any signs that it is dissolving. Your sig says it all
Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: dittch

2 days now and that piece of RTV silicone soaking in nitro fuel is still not breaking apart or showing any signs that it is dissolving. Your sig says it all

words are worthless without pictures !
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
supertib

its going to take me a few days, but i am going to do a demo with some copper RTV in clear Nitrotane...... I already know the results as I have done this already, but for you kiddies I am going to show you RTV is not nitromethane compatible....what a hassle !
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
savagecommander

[quote]ORIGINAL: savagecommander

ha ha ha!! can you believe this guy?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Argess

Supertib:

Your test won't really yield useful results. Total immersion in nitrotane doesn't reflect real world fuel residue on a bit of RTV stuck to the engine. So the arguing will keep on regardless.

Maybe take a few deep breaths. This isn't a serious thing. Just let it go. If I lived closer, I'd show up with beer.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM
supertib

I am not angry.... I just modify engines professionally and have seen melted RTV all over the inside of engines many times already... I am trying to offer people some good advice on a product that is much btter suited to our uses then some RTV silicone....However i do find it rude when people like savagecomander start insulting me and trying to turn this into some sort of pissing match.......Here I am offering very good sound advice and some Savage guy is trying to start a fight over something he truly doesn't know.... Anyways guys feel free to contact permatex and ask if their silicone's are suitable for use with nitromethane, they will tell you themselves it is not... I know this because at one time I was looking for a filler for use in my lightened crankshafts..RTV will just melt out and ruin the engine, 1211 will not.... Its truly a no brainer and not worth insulting me over....... Just to show these guys, I will take pics the next time I get an engine in that has been sealed with RTV, i will take pics of the inside of the engine and you will see stringers of RTV melted off the backplate making a mess inside the engine...... I will also submerse RTV in nitro along with a blob of 1211 just to show the huge difference in products.....As well feel free to contact any engine modder and ask if RTV is nitro proof and if they would use it to fill a crank...if its nitro proof they would not hesitate to use it in a crank....also you can contact any drag racer who runs Nitro engines and ask if RTV is suitable for Nitro.... 1211 is cheap and its dam good, I can't see what all the friction is over, the savage kid to me is just looking for a fight and nothing else..../
Old 06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
dittch
Banned

Agreed, words (both yours and mine) are worthless without pictures. ...but, what good is a picture going to do? Will it prove anything? A picture could easily be faked so it's worthless.

I honestly don't care what you or anyone else uses. I just wanted to offer my opinion based on my experience. I have been using RTV on my nitro engines for nearly 20 years and have yet to see any evidence of it 'melting' or being affected in any way because of nito fuel.

I'm sure the stuff you're recommending is top notch and works well, just as I am sure that RTV also works great in this application.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: dittch

Agreed, words (both yours and mine) are worthless without pictures. ...but, what good is a picture going to do? Will it prove anything? A picture could easily be faked so it's worthless.

I honestly don't care what you or anyone else uses. I just wanted to offer my opinion based on my experience. I have been using RTV on my nitro engines for nearly 20 years and have yet to see any evidence of it 'melting' or being affected in any way because of nito fuel.

I'm sure the stuff you're recommending is top notch and works well, just as I am sure that RTV also works great in this application.

I am just offering what I have found, I truly have no reason to lie or fake any results... Beleive it or not, but i do care about other people's interests and am only trying to share some of the interesting things I have learned over the last few years.... Yes I do know many people have used RTV silicone with good results, I have used it myself....In most cases the sealant people use on their engines never really comes into direct contact with nitro anyways, and in many cases people seal their engines whether they need it or not....So its not surprising RTV works for people, hell I have used it myself in the past...... However there does come a time when you do need a sealant to be able to withstand direct exposure to nitro, and in those cases RTV will just not cut it.... A good example of this is when a modder lightens and fill a crank ( adding a ramp ), unfortunately because RTV is not nitro proof we cannot use it, the RTV would slowly dissolve and contaminate the engine, and it wouldn't long till the plug came loose and ened up getting sucked into the crankcase....If you doubt me on this feel free to contact any engine modder, they will tell you the same thing... RTV may be somewhat resistant to Nitro, but it most definitely is not nitro proof...in direct contact it will not hold together......As well some of the race engines we run are extremely sensitive to vacuum leaks , if any vacuum leak appears the engines tune will go out the window...unfortunately some of these engines have weak spots and need to be sealed, and with 3 second pitstops and 45 minutes mains there is a high chance of spilled fuel.... I would much rather use a product that I know is nitro proof, it would suck to have an engine lose its tune in the A-main of a national race... Anyways the product i use is called threebond 1211, it is legitimately nitro proof, it doesn't cost much more and its also easier to work with and makes a cleaner seal...it is superior to RTV in every way other then its color is white, instead of arguing with me you guys should be thankful I am offering you this advice, 1211 is a wicked product and most definitely a big upgrade from the RTV you guys are currently using.....
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
dittch
Banned

instead of arguing with me you guys should be thankful I am offering you this advice, 1211 is a wicked product and most definitely a big upgrade from the RTV you guys are currently using.....
and instead of arguing with me you should be thankful I am offering my advice. You see, that statement goes for both of us. You're not the only experienced person on the block, and I'll make the same statement you made...I have no reason to lie.

Also, we're not talking about filling cranks, we're talking about sealing vacuum leaks....but on that note, I'm at almost 3 days with this plug of RTV soaking in 20% nitro fuel and it's the same as it was at the start, does not appear to be affected one bit. The exposure I'm giving it seems much more intense when compared to the real world exposure it would get...sealing a backplate or a carb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.