Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

rb or vspec

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
sexydingles
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rb or vspec

which motor is better? the killer 9 or the s9 by rb? i'm so confused as to what to buy... or should i just go buy a darn vspec... opinions please
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: rb or vspec

I'm an RB man, always have been. Can't speak for the v-spec, but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed by an RB.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
mikewait

Never ran a RB before but i just got a v spec and broke it in. The first few tanks the engine didn't have much power but once i got to the 10th tank and i leaned it up a bit and i tuned it for a race tune!
My buggy had so much power! More than i will need! It has amazing bottom end and tons of top end.

So i think the RB and the v spec are both really good engines! You should be satisfied with either! I don't know much about the RB but i can tell you the v spec IS AWESOME!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
jikkuria

i know that rb quality is top notch.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:51 PM
sexydingles

yeah ive had a couple vspecs but never an rb, i know a little about their older motors and their high end motors but not their relatively cheaper priced motors, not that the price matters that much but for the track i'm running on i wouldn't need a 7 port hiigh end motor i need a more ballsy motor so i was looking at the killer 9 or series 9 and i really didn't know the difference besides a turbo plug
Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 PM
SManMTB

V-Spec is awesome.
Also, anything Nova based/built (RB is made in the Nova factory) will have good quality and run good.
I did however have som problems with my C6BB. Ran great for 1-2 seasons and then it started ghost flaming a lot.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 AM
squeeguk

I would go with RB any day. I had a V-spec, but true to form and as others warned me, it didn't last very long, possibly 2 gallons before starting to behave erratically and then losing power. On the other hand, I have an RB WS7 and it will still hold itself on compression for about 11 seconds after 7 gallons.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Colt4g63

JX .21 has the performance, tubnability and reliability of a speed at a much lower cost. Might want to look into that one. VERY VERY good engine all around! I have had nothing but great results and life out of the Ninja JX .21s.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had the dough, a Ninja JX 21 is exactly what I would get.. Cuz I keep hearing that kind of thing - and I've seen them rip it up...
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
sexydingles

yeah i was going to get one isn't that a cross between a vspec and a worlds... i think i'm going to take everyone's advice and go with the ninja, hopefully i wont change my mind
Old 09-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Colt4g63

The JX .21 is an outstanding engine. All the performance of a Speed with a cheaper price tag. You wont be disapointed... I can run ANY engine that i want being that i do mod these mills for a living... And the JX is my "personal" 1st choice for truggy or buggy. Everyone has there favorite engine and this is mine
Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 AM
HerrSavage

Colt, head to head, unmodified, how do the Ninja JX 21 and the Jammin JPX 21 compare? Power, tuneability, reliability, etc.. The Jammin has such an awesome price.. But - though I have a Nosram 21RR which is identical - these Picco 21's here in German have a reputation for not lasting long.. The LRP 21X, Nosram, Picco Evo 3, etc.. - all seem to have the rep for being kind of two gallons and out engines.. The Jammin at amain though just has a massively attractive price.. So, JX 21 vs. JPX 21?..
Old 09-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Colt4g63

The JX .21 edges it out all around on overall power and fuel economy. The JX .21 also has a more linear power band and a better carb by far, but does cost about 100$ more.... Both are great engines and well worth there price tag.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Colt, head to head, unmodified, how do the Ninja JX 21 and the Jammin JPX 21 compare? Power, tuneability, reliability, etc.. The Jammin has such an awesome price.. But - though I have a Nosram 21RR which is identical - these Picco 21's here in German have a reputation for not lasting long.. The LRP 21X, Nosram, Picco Evo 3, etc.. - all seem to have the rep for being kind of two gallons and out engines.. The Jammin at amain though just has a massively attractive price.. So, JX 21 vs. JPX 21?..

Well for what its worth I have been running a stock JX 21 and a stock JPX 21 side by side for the past month or so...I have 2 brothers who I work with and they each have 1 of these engines...the JPX 21 is in a D8 and the JX is in a MBX6....... Each of these engines has its strengths...on the dirt the JPX has imo more practical power and takes the jump out of the corners and will take the JX all the way down our straight, our straight is not long enough for the JX to catch up ... The JPX also has more punch running up to our big jump, which has a short run up .... The JX however does rev higher and radars 5 MPH higher then the JPX does...in a side by side drag the JX will edge away from the JPX at around 220-250 on the concrete... At 150' the JPX has a few car lead as it gets a better holeshot.....Driving both engines back to back the JPX has more punch and a snappier trigger, the JX is smoother and has a longer winding powerband, when the JPX falls flat the JX has more RPM to give....... IMO the JX will only show its advantage in RPM on a track with a very long straight, and it will only be seen at the very end of the straight..... coming out of corners and popping over jumps the instant power of the JPX offers the advantage, and you can see it when you run these motors side by side on a track surface....On our track the JPX is IMO the better engine choice, as its in its strength area more then the JX is in its strength area.... I have been meaning to shoot a video of these 2 engines running together, but I have been too busy driving............ However we have run these things to death side by side both 100% stock....I do not believe the JX has any power advantage over the JPX in any way, in fact I know the JPX has the power advantage..the JX is faster, the JPX is more powerful..and thats based off driving and racing them side by side ! You can hear the JPX gets onto pipe faster and reaches its peak faster, and you can hear the JX revs higher if you give it the space and time needed to do so........I will do my best to get some video of the two this weekend......

Now maybe we need to try a different pipe on each engine, but as it sits the JPX is on a JP4 and the JX is on a 053.... I know a 086 will wake up the JPX, but maybe not sure what for the JX, I know the 1005 looked awesome on the dyno sheets, but the pipe is not made anymore or available so its a moot point.....
Old 09-05-2009, 04:20 AM
HerrSavage

Cool.. I guess that extra punch would make the Jammin even better in a truggy compared to a buggy..

Was only a theoretical question anyway.. Still way too broke to entertain any new engine thoughts... [] (and really quite diappointed with the local track, which didn't open til June, and didn't repair the track after the first race in June til like July.. The next track an hour or so away just got redone - and it too is disappointing.. Tiny and tight with no major jumps - more a buggy track..) Haven't run my Nosram all year - but hope to soon..
Old 09-05-2009, 10:58 AM
sexydingles

well i guess in reply to my first question and i guess from what supertib described a jpx sounds like what i need, the track i'm running doesn't have a significant straightaways, definitely not 250 feet and there are a lot of twistys to jumps, i may be going with a jpx, i'm not sure still but from what he says, its what i'm looking for is there a mod thatll make it a little more linear? i dunno this seems to be my biggest speedbump thus far, how many gallons are the jpx's getting?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: sexydingles

well i guess in reply to my first question and i guess from what supertib described a jpx sounds like what i need, the track i'm running doesn't have a significant straightaways, definitely not 250 feet and there are a lot of twistys to jumps, i may be going with a jpx, i'm not sure still but from what he says, its what i'm looking for is there a mod thatll make it a little more linear? i dunno this seems to be my biggest speedbump thus far, how many gallons are the jpx's getting?

If you want lineer get the JX....... the JPX is rather punchy .....
Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM
j_blaze

ORIGINAL: Colt4g63

The JX .21 is an outstanding engine. All the performance of a Speed with a cheaper price tag. You wont be disapointed... I can run ANY engine that i want being that i do mod these mills for a living... And the JX is my ''personal'' 1st choice for truggy or buggy. Everyone has there favorite engine and this is mine
that means a lot coming from you. with those statements i think this has been converted to a ninja thread. probably my next motor. how is it similar or different from a stock jpx21 in performance?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
sexydingles

no i want the punch, but i dont want it crazy out of control punch nvm i was talked into a k9 by my buddy at the track
Old 09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Colt4g63

Comparing the JP4 on the JPX and the 053 on the JX .21 isnt really a fair comparison at all as the JP4 produces more power on the bottom on both engines. And I believe supertibs results 100% on this comparison as i have seen it myself. Tib try a 2060 on the JX .21 and i think you will have a totally different outlook on the JX .21 as it REALLY picks up the bottom end over a 053 pipe set and still maintains that top end power!

One thing i think that people really overlook is SETUP!! AKA pipe, plug and clutching. Look at is this way, and for reference im not talking about the JPX Vs the JX .21 here for this example lol. You can have engine #1 which will destroy engine #2 in every way shape and form from fuel economy to power and if engine #1 isnt setup properly it will get beat in everyway everytime! SETUP SETUP SETUP i cant stress this enough guys.

Since this is turning into a JPX Vs JX .21 debate somehow I will give my 2 cents on these engines from my extensive R&D and testing on and off the dyno and on and off the track and this is in STOCK FORM. Here is how i see both engines using pipes that i have found work best overall and not just raw power output for both engines. JPX with a 086 and JX .21 with a 2060. On the bottom end its honestly hard to tell any difference in RAW power output but once the JX .21 gets to mid and upper RPM it really starts to shine over the JPX. The JX .21 has a MUCH better carb and is a lot more tune friendly. It also has a more linear/smooth power delivery which helps it plant the power to the ground. And hey guys we all know you can only put so much power down to the ground on DIRT so the smoother the power delivery the better! As we all know in off road you want a strong bottom end but you have to be able to PLANT it. The JX .21 also gets noticably better fuel mileage over the JPX .21. Now dont get me wrong the JPX is a GREAT engine and both of these engines will win races and put a huge smile on ur face! But overall my vote goes to the JX .21 as my personal favorite. Its honestly just a more refined racing engine in all aspects. My #2 vote would be for the Picco made JPX or the P7R engine. I REALLY like all 3 of these engines but like i said the JX .21 just edges them out overall for me and my testing.

This is always going to be a debate as we all have our own opinons and how we like our engines to feel and respond. But as long as we can discuss this in a civil manor and share our experiences we will help each other out and thats what these forums need to be for!!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
supertib

do you have a dyno sheet of the 053 vs the 2060 on the JX ?

I can get a 2060, but not for tomorrow's video..I have a 1005, JP4,053,086..... I will be putting the JPX 21 on a 086 so I can put the JX on the JP4 or the 1005........both are on OD 30 as well..the JPX is on a P7TH Picco, and the JX is on either a P3 or P4.......... .So far runtimes have been pretty equal between the two, but as we know a pipe change can alter that....We did test a 086 on the JPX and it wakes the top end up in a big way over the JP4, however the 086 is my pipe and was only on for a day.... I am more then happy to compare these 2 engines in any way possible, I am definitely skeptical the JX is going to match the Picco's snap and torque, but if it does I will definitely say so..its nothing personal to me, these are just engines, and stockers at that...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: sexydingles

no i want the punch, but i dont want it crazy out of control punch nvm i was talked into a k9 by my buddy at the track
k9 as in RB Killer 9? If so, that is what I was planning on running for truggy. I love the name. [8D]
Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 PM
sexydingles

lol someone whos actually following the post... yep rb's killer 9 from what i understand its a beast... plus its made by rb so that pretty much sold me, i was also told that its pretty much the best bang for your buck... only problem is it has limited reviews from people because its so new, so i guess we'll be the guinea pigs. let me know what you think when you get it, i'm kinda far off from getting it due to other financial obligations
Old 09-05-2009, 06:13 PM
supertib

The K9 RB is made by Force engines for RB..its not Italian but rather Taiwanese..... I am still interested in seeing one run
Old 09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
SManMTB

RB using a Taiwanese factoru sounds liek BS to me. Especially Force, the champion of crappy OFNA branded POS units.
Can you back up the statement?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.