Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

O.S. V-Spec catastrophic failure?!?!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:37 PM
mattyb13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. V-Spec catastrophic failure?!?!

Running my stock V-Spec in My BCE Edition CEN MATRIX yesterday. 2 Gallons old. Trinity Monster 30%. METICULOUS heat cycle break in. Making huge power!!! Seemed to be running FAMOUSLY!! I run her a Little fat down low. Temps between 215 and 230 usually. Then came the ABRUPT stall! WHAT THE? Put her back on the box and what do you know...? The box wouldnt turn it over. The flywheel was still turning the piston and I could still get the "lub-dub" out of the piston but there was some sort of grinding or crunching internally as the engine turned over?!
1. DOES anyone have any idea what might have happened? One of my buddies thinks I broke the con rod. IF I did what the F does that mean???
2. IS there any chance of a rebuild on this thing?
3. Should I tear this thing down and see what happened? Is this something I can or SHOULD do myself?
4. Is there a tear down guide somewhere? Maybe youtube???
5. Seems like a modded V-Spec might be JUST what I am looking for... Is there anyway I can take whats left of this engine and get this thing modded for more power?
6. Are there any companies that would take my engine in and do this for me and is that worthwhile?
7. Am I Just out an engine...?!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
misasi

Default RE: O.S. V-Spec catastrophic failure?!?!

You need to open it and see whats going on. Could be the conrod but also sounds like it could be a bearing issue. Better hope the piston and sleeve is fine and free of debris
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Chris_RC

It is very easy to take an engine apart. It will be apart if there is any problems. There is only one way to find out your problem, take it apart!
Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 AM
tommygun32

Matty, It's easy enough to do.

Here's a how-to-vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4ePOjjKNE

If you hear grinding inside, don't keep trying to turn the piston over. You may be causing more damage.

The OS engines tend to blow bearings at about this stage of their life, and I hope that's all that's happened to it.

One point, during the video, he uses a ball point pen to push the piston sleeve up. I find this to be too much hassle and with an OS at that age, it'll probaby be well and truly hard to get out that way.

Once you're at the point of removing the piston sleeve, move your piston to bottom dead center. Take the corner of a soft clean rag and stuff it down on top of the piston, really stuff it in there so a bit of the cloth is getting pushed out the vents, now turn the piston towards top dead center. As the rag and piston move up, some of the cloth will bind, forcing the sleeve to come up with the piston. Now it should be loose enough or pushed up enough for you to get a grip of it.

Just be careful, meticulous, clean and lay everything out in order of the way you took it apart. Then when you're putting everything back together, go backwards in that order.

Get her opened up and let us know what's going on in there. If when you take the sleeve and piston out and you see a bunch of deep scratches along the piston or sleeve walls, you'll need to replace those.

Once you know what the problem is I think we can better tell you if a modder will take it and rebuild/mod it at the same time.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Zerodefect

ORIGINAL: mattyb13

Running my stock V-Spec in My BCE Edition CEN MATRIX yesterday. 2 Gallons old. Trinity Monster 30%. METICULOUS heat cycle break in. Making huge power!!! Seemed to be running FAMOUSLY!! I run her a Little fat down low. Temps between 215 and 230 usually. Then came the ABRUPT stall! WHAT THE? Put her back on the box and what do you know...? The box wouldnt turn it over. The flywheel was still turning the piston and I could still get the ''lub-dub'' out of the piston but there was some sort of grinding or crunching internally as the engine turned over?!
1. DOES anyone have any idea what might have happened? One of my buddies thinks I broke the con rod. IF I did what the F does that mean???
2. IS there any chance of a rebuild on this thing?
3. Should I tear this thing down and see what happened? Is this something I can or SHOULD do myself?
4. Is there a tear down guide somewhere? Maybe youtube???
5. Seems like a modded V-Spec might be JUST what I am looking for... Is there anyway I can take whats left of this engine and get this thing modded for more power?
6. Are there any companies that would take my engine in and do this for me and is that worthwhile?
7. Am I Just out an engine...?!
1. You can replace worn conrods or bearings, but broken parts fill the engine with chunks of metal that can quickly destroy the piston,sleeve,rod, crank pin, etc.

2. Maybe. generally if the block,head, carb, are in good shape you can rebuild with a piston, sleeve conrod. I wouldn't at this point set it on the shelf till later, when you know more about engines.

3. Absolutley! How else are you going to learn?
4. its easyier to build engines than car kits. Just need cleanliness and attention to detail. Be gentel.
5. The modded vspec is the last thing you need.
6. sure
7. probally, post pics of its guts. We can generally tell if its a mf defect and covered under warranty.

Anyways, what are you doing with a vspec? The most maintenance intensive Racing engine out there! Its a great mill, but if you don't know what conrods and engine rebuilds are about, then it is the wrong engine for you. Big time.

Your best bet is to get more budget friendly and beefier engines to cut your teeth on. When you can tell us how to build engines,nm then your ready for the expensive racing mills. Learning how to maintain and run Nitro is going to get expensive quick if you keep toasting $300 motors.

I'd recommend the Novaroissi N21b $150, RB Junior9 $180, or the RB Hobby9 $225. The RB's have extremly strong conrods. Cheaper to run, maintain, and rebuild than full bore racing engines, but still have plenty of power.

I'm building modded N21b's now. I love that little mill. Good piston/sleeve and bearings are cheap to get and cheap GO engine rods fit.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Chris_RC

Zerodefect, you always seem to reccomend RB engines. I was considering buying a RB Hobby 9 or Killer 9 for either buggy or truck. Anyway, what kind of runtimes and how is their power compared to other engines, also their longevity?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Zerodefect

I recommend RB because they are the most trouble free engines I've ever owned and everyone that runs them seems to have real good reliability and good things to say about them. They wear well to.

Every RB that I've seen has great bearings and conrods. Two items that many engines go cheap on. Carb are allmost as easy to tune as OS's.

Power is a touchy subject because if your racing long mains then you need fuel economy as well. The Vspec and Novarossi +4 have RB beat at this balence. RB deosn't have a engine that competes directly with the V-spec like Novrossis +4. The Hobby9 is RBs best bet if these two are the best balence of speed vs fuel economy at your track.

Unfortunately I'm running a tight track and only 15 min mains. Any motor makes it on 1 stop. So I don't have the best advice on fuel economy this year. Just previous experience from last year..

I usually recommend 3 port engines becuase they usually only lack top end which most Club level tracks really don't need. Can save alot of money running the Junior9 or N21b and if you do convice the track to use longer mains 30min-1hr. The 3 ports have great fuel economy.

The WS9 is an absolute beast but its a top end motor with a slightly soft bottom. Nothing a 2045 pipe and a good clutch setup cant fix. Perfect for buggy but it drinks a little more fuel than the +4 or Vspec. The soft bottom is great for traction limited buggies, but I never even noticed it. It seemed as torqey as anything else I've driven. I may buy another one of these. I'm only running 15 minute mains on a tight track so I could care less about mileage. So If your wanting more top end power and alot of people are running 7 port engines at your track......this is the best 7 port mill I've ever seen. I don't think there is any .21 that can hang with it on a long straight. Maybe a ToroNero.

The Hobby9 is right in the middle. Should get similar mileage to the Vspec and +4. Really a great engine. If your concerned about mileage and power than my top picks are the Novarossi +4 and the RB Hobby 9.

After 9 gallons my WS7III's ( now called the WS9) conrod and bearings were good as new. I had barely worn through the crank pins black coating. My pinch was gone but my compression and performance was perfect. It ran better at 9 gallons then it did at 2.

Use the 2045 pipe and long header for RB engines.

I don't recommend the Killer9. It is not truely an RB. It may be a good engine. But the only thing it has in common with other Rb motors is the name. Its made in Tawian and I think its part of the reason Rody left RB. This, and the mighty +4 is why I'm running Novarossi power now. RB's are made by Novarossi and are very similar.

Also keep in mind that RB and Novarossi don't have customer service like OS. You don't need good CS when your perfect, is thier point of view. I've never heard of a warranty claim or the need of one with RB or Novarossi. So don't count on tech support with these two.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 AM
theRCreverend

I'm very surprised you didn't just open it up to see what happened, that is easy enough.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 AM
tommygun32

Matty, any update on this engine? Have you opened her up yet?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM
tommygun32

Bump.....

MattyB, Any update on your engine? What was the outcome?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
hustler777

sounds like either a bearing or con-rod bushing went south on ya....if your still getting the "lub-dub" sound, the con rod isn't broke, but that doesn't mean that the bushing the con rod rides on isn't smoked....sounds like it's time to "OS" your OS....(meaning change bearings and con rod) LOL!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
j_blaze

if your motor comes to an abrupt hault for no reason always test it by hand before throwing it on the box, you will save many motors that way. small damages that can be easily fixed can turn to catastrophic disasters if you throw a "crunching" motor right on the box. sounds like the rod or bushing went, bearing cracked and is lodged on top of the piston, piston cracked and chunk is on top of piston, etc, etc. take off the head and the backplate and it should all be pretty clear, another busted v-spec.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
mattyb13

UPDATE: Well, I finally found the time to tear the engine out of my Arena and see what happened to my V-Spec... I took the backplate off and parts came tumbling out! Yeah... bad news. The con-rod appears to have sheared in half...! The entire inside of the crank case looks pretty chewed up. I am assuming that the engine is junk... Correct? I have never experienced this before, what could cause this or what can I do to avoid this in the future?!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 AM
tommygun32

Can you post some close up pics of the inside of the engine? Use the macro setting on your camera if you have one.