Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

What Can Be used insted of afterun oil?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM
colouny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Can Be used insted of afterun oil?

Just quick question, what can be used instead of afterrun oil? My bottle is empty, the other one is arrivin in a week , just want to enjoy the last dry days. Thank you all in advance.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
controlliner

Default RE: What Can Be used insted of afterun oil?

Automatic transmission fluid. Dextron2, Mercon3, or any of the others. They have excellent anti-corrosion properties.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Get some Castrol oil, or if you run it everyday, then don't even worry about it.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 PM
misasi

Run the truck out of fuel and you will be fine. ARO is a big scam if you ask me. If you use a quality fuel your internals will have a healthy coat of oil inside.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:52 PM
colouny

ok, thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 PM
colouny

I run ussually every day, but some times it sits for a while. Anyway, thanks i have got the information i needed.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Zerodefect

All my airplanes which can sit for a while, run on Morgans Coolpower which would be Sidewinder for us. Sidewinder deosn't need ARO, its built in.

I run my engine dry at idle. I never use ARO if I'm going to run again in less than 2 weeks. If my race car is going to sit for longer than 3 weeks I usually pull the engine and do a complete teardown and lube by hand with RB's ARO.

I've been running Byrons 25/9 lately.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Chris_RC

If you are going to run it the next day, take out all the fuel out of the tank and run it at idle until it dies. But if you aren't going to run it for 1+ week(s), then ARO is a good idea. Use Marvel Mystery Oil if you want the sense of security. 5 drops in the head, 5 in the carb. Tunr the engien over a few times, then your done.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM
controlliner

For those of you that run your engines dry at idle, you should run them dry with the throttle open. It will not hurt the engine to purge it for the couple seconds at WOT. I have seen engines run dry at idle and when the backplate was removed, the crank case was full of oil with little alcohol droplets in it and the methanol is hydroscopic, well you know the rest of the story. I've seen this in OS engines, Enya engines and Traxxas engines.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM
colouny

So concludin all aof your answers:
1. I can use any lubricant that doenst dry out.
2. I must use any type of lubricant that has anticorrosion additives.
3. I have either to dissassemble the engine and lube everything if the car is going to sand for a while.
4. I have to use the non drying lubricant evry time if i dont plan to run it for a day or so.
5. The main point of using the lubricant after running your car is to prevent internal engine corrosion.

Corrent me if i am wrong.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Chris_RC

You just unscrew the glow plug and take the air filter off and put a couple drops of Marvel Mystery oil that you can get at an automotive shop.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:12 PM
colouny

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

You just unscrew the glow plug and take the air filter off and put a couple drops of Marvel Mystery oil that you can get at an automotive shop.
It would be nice, if i could get. Here in Lithuania wee dont have Marvel brand at all.

I was browsing and found these interesting things. The link is to the page, and i have copied some from it. I kind of like the idea of spray thing. What you think?

[link=http://Grease 'Gun conserving']http://www.xado.com/_new/php/grease.php?gr_num=13&pack_num=1&lang=eng[/link]

Grease 'Gun conserving'

Modern Conserving grease keeping the arms reliability up to – 60 oC.
Contains revitalizant.
Applied for conserving, cleaning and lubricating the arms before storage.
Ensures high protection of the arms from corrosion even under long-term open-air storage.
Applied to small- and large-calibre rifled and smooth-bore arms of any type (hunting, sporting, fighting, air rifles etc). Recommended for the after shooting service and preparing the arms for storage.
Has efficient penetrating properties and enters all parts of the arms.
Special corrosion inhibitors of the grease neutralize negative affect of the gomes left after cleaning.
Due to its perfect low-temperature properties the grease ensures mobility and softness of the arms operation up to – 60 oC.
Due to revitalizant the grease keeps the surface of the barrel bore in top condition.
Doesn’t contain alkali, neutral to plastic, wood, colored and lacquered surfaces, blueing. ]
Old 10-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Argess

ORIGINAL: misasi

Run the truck out of fuel and you will be fine. ARO is a big scam if you ask me. If you use a quality fuel your internals will have a healthy coat of oil inside.
I agree, other than I wouldn't say it's a big scam. It's really good to use when you assemble an engine. Anyway, I nevere use after-run and have no trouble (I suppose "yet" might be added to that statement). I have a few engines manufactured in the 60s. Flashed one up the other day, and it ran fine.....after sitting for over 20 years.

Note of interest, I live in a maritime climate...i.e. damp salty air, and I've never had a problem not using ARO........yet. But based on the length of time some of my enignes sit and then still run fine, I don't expect any problems either. But it won't hurt, so to each his own.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 AM
colouny

Thank you all once again. Got the idea...
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

we used to use marvel mystery oil for aro ... we even used to add it to fuel .. stuff is great but there is no place local to get it any more [:@][:@][:@]
Old 10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
colouny

Searc amazon.com 32oz. 4$. Plus shippig,unfortunately its not aVilable for overseas shipping.
Anway, adding something to fuel is not so bad isn't it?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Get some "Air Tool" oil...the stuff used to lubricate pneumatic tools...
It's designed to lubricate and prevent rust.

If you're using a fuel that has all synthetic as it's total oil content, and haven't experienced rust (yet ) then you either live in a very dry climate or are just lucky.

Some castor in the fuel's oil package helps prevent or lessen corrosion.

I have some airplane engines going back to the 1940's that were run on fuel w/ 20 to 25% castor oil fuel...and the bearings are in great shape. I have newer engines that have cheaper bearings (lower quality steel ) that have rusted seemingly over-night when run on fuels with no or very little castor and when I forgot to run the fuel out/use ARO.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
colouny

Air tool oil. Great i can get it with XADO additives. Actually good idea. Would never thought about it. Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Rapidito

ORIGINAL: colouny

Just quick question, what can be used instead of afterrun oil? My bottle is empty, the other one is arrivin in a week , just want to enjoy the last dry days. Thank you all in advance.
Traxxas recomend WD-40.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM
colouny

Really? thrn i am gonna use it! thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

my self as well as my father in law use pneumatic, or air, tool oil. I have been in the hobby for about 4 years with rc land vehicles. He has been using air tool oil in his air planes and helicopterss for 20+ years and never an issue for either of us. Plus it is cheap and readily available
Old 10-24-2009, 01:06 PM
colouny

ORIGINAL: Montana Mike

my self as well as my father in law use pneumatic, or air, tool oil. I have been in the hobby for about 4 years with rc land vehicles. He has been using air tool oil in his air planes and helicopterss for 20+ years and never an issue for either of us. Plus it is cheap and readily available
Agree with you, i am using it after someone already sudgested, also using WD40 for shorter "stay" times
Old 12-30-2009, 04:16 PM
usfpaul82

Has anyone used Blue Lube?  It is intended for benchmade knives.  I have a bottle...any thoughs on it?

http://www.benchmade.com/products/983901X

Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
calvino

The only *advantages* I see with ARO is:
The engine is pre-lubed for when you go to start it... can reduce wear and tear on the internals and make the engine easier to start
Sure some engines that come with crappy bearings... can be prone to rusting it maybe a good idea

I normally don't use ARO that much.... unless i plan to not run the engine for like 2+ weeks then I put a few drops in... turn it over... keeps everything nice and lubed for when I to to run it after a long break. I have an LRP that I cleaned out with alcohol that has been sitting in our garage for the past 2 months with the backplate open... no signs of rusting so other than to pre-lube the engine I don't see a real need. I can see how if you went overboard with the ARO it could be bad, eating through the seals on the bearings... (oil weakens the seals and makes the engines more prone to an air leak...)
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Motardmadness

Well first of all afterrun oil is one of the single most important things to do with your car. When you get done using your nitro car or truck using oil helps lubricate your engine and prevents rusting, sticking of your cylinder. I like to use GM supercharger oil. It a very nice product and is one of the best lubricants for your car. You can also use it to lube any parts of your car or truck after and before use. PB Blaster is a nice cheap lubricant to use as well but I prefer GM Supercharger oil. Only down fall is no spray tube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.