Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Head shim question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 AM
mordraid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head shim question

Hi guys, i've recently replaced the head button in my Novarossi 5-k for a turbo one.

The question is that the head shim that came with the turbo button is a little thickier than the one i had already on my standard head.

Wich one should i use ? right now i'm heading towards the one that came with the turbo button.

What do you guys think of it ?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Head shim question

I'd use that new one. Thicker is safer, plus they probably supplied it for a reason. Just check your temps before running it too hard. If it's not coming up in temp, you may want to try the older thinner one.

Or you could call/e-mail the manufacturer of this new head button and ask them.........
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That depends on whether the new button goes into the liner the same depth or not because you don't want the piston to touch the head. Try fitting the head button without a shim and held down just with your fingers to seat it and then carefully turn the engine over. If the piston doesn't touch (you don't feel the button lift) then you're safe with either shim.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
dakamat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mordraid, when you come at home to take a beer, bring your two head button and i'll mesure it with my caliper.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if the head button has the same depth into the cylinder, the thicker shim may be compensating for less volume from a turbo plug. A visual comparison of the installed plugs may be enough to determine this....in addition to the depth meaasurement of course.