Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

New Buggy Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:34 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Buggy Engine?

I will be looking for a new engine for my Ofna Hyper 7 and I am undisided of which one to get for it. I am just a basher so I don't need to stick to just a .21 I have no problem getting a .28 for it. But I have a OS .21 VSpec in a truggy and it is a great engine that I think would go well in my buggy. how does the Jammin JPX .21 compare to the vspec? I am also conidering getting an LRP .30 bump start engine as well. I have the pull start LRP .28 in am MT and it is a power house that would be nice in a light buggy as well.
Any suggestions for me?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Buggy Engine?

whats your budget ?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My $.02... If you can swing it, get a modded Ofna JLR from supertib... Big power for a good price.. I'd love to have one. Not requiring a long break-in is a big plus point for me.. Saves you a gallon of fuel - not to mention time, your clutch, etc.. Then there's the crazy power...

Under that, I'd try to get one of the new Alphas, or a Go GXR 5 or 7-port..

Under that, at the lowest end of the budget spectrum, a Mach 2 26 from amain for 130 bucks or so would be good...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: supertib

whats your budget ?
I would like to stay under $250 But I am sure I can find something nice for a good deal that is slightly used also.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: yakfish

whats your budget ?
I would like to stay under $250 But I am sure I can find something nice for a good deal that is slightly used also.

Stock hand fitted JL 21 $200.00...modded $250.00....stupid easy to tune, extremely forgiving to the point of ridiculous....but when fully tuned the engine is flat out ballistic and has one of the most impressive top ends I have ever seen, and I have seen them all.....In a Buggy on top end this engine would be flat out scary......!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:52 PM
yakfish

whats your budget ?

Stock hand fitted JL 21 $200.00...modded $250.00....stupid easy to tune, extremely forgiving to the point of ridiculous....but when fully tuned the engine is flat out ballistic and has one of the most impressive top ends I have ever seen, and I have seen them all.....In a Buggy on top end this engine would be flat out scary......!

I understand what you mean by stock but what do you mean when you say hand fitted? How would this engine in stock form compare to a stock OS .21 VZB Vspec? How much of a difference does it make when they are modded? I'm not to conserned about fuel consumption but more performance (I'm a speed freak)? How would it handle higher gearing for more speed when compared to a .28 like the Picco P3 .28 or the LRP Z.28 Spec 3? $250 doesn't sound too bad a price if it is comparable to the OS engine or is even better. I just have to talk my wife into letting me spend more money on the hobby! Thats the hardest part!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:09 PM
supertib

whats your budget ?

I understand what you mean by stock but what do you mean when you say hand fitted? How would this engine in stock form compare to a stock OS .21 VZB Vspec? How much of a difference does it make when they are modded? I'm not to conserned about fuel consumption but more performance (I'm a speed freak)? How would it handle higher gearing for more speed when compared to a .28 like the Picco P3 .28 or the LRP Z.28 Spec 3? $250 doesn't sound too bad a price if it is comparable to the OS engine or is even better. I just have to talk my wife into letting me spend more money on the hobby! Thats the hardest part!

It will outperform a stock V-Spec.... it will outperform any 28 in a Buggy in the price range your in...a modified italian 28 or OS 28 is a different story with the right gearing...but a LRP 28 wont have nearly the RPM of the JL 21....... The hand fittted piston is technique I have that allows me to perfectly size the piston to the sleeve to a 0.0001" tolerance ...the result is an engine that requires next to zero breakin...it will be screaming like a banshee at tank #4
Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM
yakfish

how much of a difference do you mods make over the stock engine? Do you have a web site i could check out?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
supertib

how much of a difference do you mods make over the stock engine? Do you have a web site i could check out?

the Mod engine will be quite a bit snappier with a pretty large top end gain.... website is in the works ! however i have many videos and have been on these forums for years.. I am not a rookie !
Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 AM
ugglasdav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should go for this http://www.murnanmodified.com/produc...roducts_id=234 its a very good price
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: ugglasdav

should go for this http://www.murnanmodified.com/produc...roducts_id=234 its a very good price

Here is my Picco 21...sells for $300.00 as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qi_ImnmgI
Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
yakfish

the Mod engine will be quite a bit snappier with a pretty large top end gain.... website is in the works ! however i have many videos and have been on these forums for years.. I am not a rookie !
Do you do any modded .28's that would work well for what I am wanting to do with it?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
supertib

yes I do...Picco 28 FTT $275.00 modded with hand fitted piston..... tho chances are a good .21 will be faster unless the 28 is geared right up.....But with the right gearing the 28 will easily pull 60 MPH in a Buggy..it just wont feel right on a track with the tall gearing...

Do you do any modded .28's that would work well for what I am wanting to do with it?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
supertib

In a light buggy I am a fan of the higher revving .21's...28's have lots of power but dont make anywhere near the same RPM as the .21's...... in the light buggy a 28 needshuge gearing to be fast on top...wrong powerband for a Buggy...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
My Name Is Brad

many people are requesting extremely high qaulity engines. If you are looking for something cheaper the axial .28 1s is a great basher engine.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 AM
HerrSavage

Maybe for a multi-gear MT, but in a buggy all the extra torque of a 28 would just be wasted in wheelspin and extra drivetrain wear - plus you'd have no top end(Axial is known for being more torquey, but to not rev high..) Something smaller that revs high - a Mach 427/Mach 2 26(the new version..) would make more sense... Costs about the same too.

But these little 21's being recommended would really be ideal, and crazy fast..
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
yakfish

I have never been a fan of the Kingstar/Nitrostar engines. The axial is the same as the 4.6 they put in the savage. I am considering getting another Mach 427. I have had 2 of these engines and they are screamers! And they are chaep which would leave more money for servos!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 AM
supertib

I have never been a fan of the Kingstar/Nitrostar engines. The axial is the same as the 4.6 they put in the savage. I am considering getting another Mach 427. I have had 2 of these engines and they are screamers! And they are chaep which would leave more money for servos!

personally I don't consider a mach to have nearly enough RPM for a Buggy..... the price is right I can understand, and good servos are important, but a good .21 will be worlds faster then a mach 427.... IMO the Mach doesn't really have a top end at all, it has ok power in the low and mid but falls dead flat on top end...a Good .21 will have more bottom, more mid and way way more on top....
Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
HerrSavage

An OS A5 and stock Losi RTR pipe makes a Mach have a quite decent top-end IMO.. - for its price class.., and just messin' around.. I've raced that Mach in both buggy (once) and truggy(several times..), and it never missed a beat. All for like 120 bucks..

But yes, a nice modded 21 would be in a different league..

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV06403.flv
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

An OS A5 and stock Losi RTR pipe makes a Mach have a quite decent top-end IMO.. - for its price class..

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV06403.flv

for its price class and ease of use it is a wicked engine !!! I rember the day when I ran alot of Mach's...so I can definitely appreciate what they are......
Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Colt4g63

For a .21 Novarossi has the N21R BF that is a GREAT little mill with Novarossi quality but with a very cheap price tag at 139.99. When modified they will hang with and beat the higher priced "300+$" .21 engines and give you that LONG Novarossi engine life span. The Novarossi N21 is probably the best bang for the buck engine on the market in the .21 class. Even in stock form they dont run bad at all!! Then as suggested there is the JPX .21 Picco made engine that is also Italian made and a high quality and powerful engine for around 230$ in stock form... Modified properly these engine can be ANIMALS!! Then you have the Werks B5 thats right at 200$. All of these are good high quality engines that will last and perform. These are some of the higher end Italian made .21 engines that have great price tags!!

The JLR although made in Taiwan is great engine with very good power output for 179$. And of course when modified properly they can run hard as well! There is also the RB killer 9 that is very similar to the JLR with a few advantages such as a different carb with the ability to switch out carb restrictors "which really only matters to racers looking for better fuel economy with a smaller restrictor" but this comes at a higher price tag of 229.99

Now if moving up in price range of course you are open to a whole other class of engines.... But unless your racing or want the best of the best and have the budget to afford that there are a lot of good engines out there now for 250$ and lower that will get the job done and do it very well. I think the engine manufactures are realizing that not everyone wants or will spend 350-500+ $ on an engine. Therefor there are more lower cost "250$ and lower" priced engines on the market that are actually nice mills! For us the consumer this is a good thing