Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nova 21-4 vs RB C6

Old 03-25-2010, 10:34 PM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nova 21-4 vs RB C6

I have a losi 2.0 buggy and truggy and want to know which engine is best suited for each chassis. I have a like new NovaRossi 21-4 competition, and a like new RB concept C6 turbo. Is one better suited than the other for each chassis or are the about the same. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Saboteur10573

Default RE: Nova 21-4 vs RB C6

It's not about which is better suited. It's all about your setup. When drivers choose an engine some things come to mind.

Reliability - How can the engine stand up to the strenuous events of nitro offroad racing? Is is easy to tune? Does it suffer from vapor lock?

Fuel Economy - People assume using a big hefty .28 or .30 engine is the way to go for truggies. A .21 revs more and gets better fuel economy. Between .21s the rest comes down to exhaust setup and tuning.

Price - Can one purchase an engine that has all of the above and is as fast as a Novarossi or RB engine? If so should they find great reviews of it you can guarantee to see that power plant in their car.

My friend ran the Novarossi BF.21 which is under $200 bucks. That engine has a ton of power and will run with most of the engines out on most tracks. Fuel economy is excellent too.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:35 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Nova 21-4 vs RB C6

ORIGINAL: baxternick

I have a losi 2.0 buggy and truggy and want to know which engine is best suited for each chassis. I have a like new NovaRossi 21-4 competition, and a like new RB concept C6 turbo. Is one better suited than the other for each chassis or are the about the same. Thanks for any input.

Ok, so you have the 8ight-B and T, so first off get yourself an engine mount where you mount the engine to a set of blocks that stay on the engine from [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/16844/n/Team-Losi-Quick-Change-Engine-Mount-Set-8ight-8ight-T-20]Losi[/link] or one from [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/10278/n/King-Headz-Team-Losi-8ight-Standard-EZ-Change-Motor-Mount]King headz[/link] so now you can swap engines in and out of either rig.

Me personally, I'd set the buggy up with the 21-4 with 086 with a med. header or preferably the 9901 pipe with a short header, from there you'll need to play with clutch setups, I'd start with all composite shoes and black springs. I ran my 8ight b 1.0 with a C6 and all composite shoes, worked pretty decent but I was running on a track that didnt have a whole lot of traction, so if you are running somewhere that has good traction I'd run either 2 composites and 2 ally shoes or 4 ally's with all black springs or 2 black and 2 green, I wouldnt go any stiffer than all green springs on the clutch. Also, the nova should have no problem pulling a 14T bell in the buggy. Also, something you'll have to work on and test out where you run/race @ to get what you want out of the gearing and clutch setup .

For the truggy, I'd go with the C6 with a sportwerks 053 or 1005 pipe (I like the sportwerks 053 pipe but the 1005 will give you more overall power especially down in the lower end but it will kill your fuel economy), both with short to medium length headers, 13T CB and a clutch setup somewhere in the middle, say 2 green and 2 gold, or 4 gold with all ally shoes.

Now back to what I mentioned above about those engine mounts, seeing you would have the same engine mounts in both the T and B, you can just swap engines and see which one you like better in which ever rig, you'll have to play with clutch and gearing setups but thats life dude, theres no magic setup thats gonna work for everyone who owns an 8ight-B/T, or any rig for that matter. Anything I listed above was from some experience and the other is guessti-mation, but I think you'll be headed in the right direction if you do half of what I recommended.

I liked the C6 mated to the SW 053 and shorty header in the B with a 14T bell, composite shoes and black springs. That thing sounded mean and was seriously nutty with an 053 on it, I can only imagine what it would sound like with an 086. As it was the thing was beyond controllable and stupid fast.

Both engines are more than enough power for either B or T, so buy the mounts like I said and set both engines up the same and switch them back and forth and see what you like, try and do so at the place you plan on running your rigs at the most.