Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

How to tell if your engine is broken in?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
trainer25
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if your engine is broken in?

I got an rc10gt from a guy who said the truck was his fathers and wasn't run too much. maybe half a gallon of fuel. Lets say I dont know this info as it could be wrong, how do i tell if my engine was broken in correctly or all the way? Ive heard theres an engine pinch when an engine is newer. is that the resistance you feel at tdc as you turn the engine over by hand?

The engine has great compression and if my description of engine pinch is right then i have quite a bit.

If the engine wasn't broken in correctly is there a way to possibly fix this if it was only half a gallon?
Is half a gallon enough to break an engine in?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Default RE: How to tell if your engine is broken in?

if you're not sure do the break in over again. that's what i would do.
half a gallon is definitely broken in.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
rpg711

Default RE: How to tell if your engine is broken in?

Depends, some engines almost completely lose their pinch by the fifth tank(most rtr engines) and others... Like my GO engine, is still a hardass **** to turn and needs the heat gun. In any case its not the pinch... Break in causes whatever tolerances during machining to be smoothed out... 1/2 gallon run wrong will ruin the engines lifetime... But in any case if it was done incorrectly the damage would already be done.

Long story short, its broken in, intentionally or not, the previous user broke it in