RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   Engine tuning question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/10464522-engine-tuning-question.html)

excorsist01 04-15-2011 10:18 AM

Engine tuning question

I am looking to buy a new buggy and feel i might go electric but i would prefer a nitro only when i owned a t maxx it seemed as though i spent more time tuning it than using it.
If i bought say a hyper 7 buggy when its set up after run in will that be pretty much it or will you need to constantly tune it each time you take it out.
Is it a case of the t maxx having a rubbish engine as it was an early one would the hyper 7 have a better more reliable engine?

proanti1 04-15-2011 02:15 PM

RE: Engine tuning question

Yes, it will be more reliable.

378 04-15-2011 02:45 PM

Engine reliability is 75% the user. The remaining 25% is the carb, engine condition, glow plug, fuel, head shims and some pure dumb luck.

The NT-16 that came in my CEN was okay. I had to adjust it about once a month. The OS I replaced it with, however, goes six to nine months between adjustments. All the mechanical factors combine with six years of experience have that thing purring like a kitten....a fat kitten, I'll admit, but purring none-the-less.

My protip is to settle on a tune slightly richer than perfect. Like, 1/8 turn richer on both needles. You'll prolong the engine life and put off the next carb adjustment.

bigdogkanicsar 04-15-2011 09:34 PM

when it comes to tuning, a lot of it depends on where you live and the day to day weather conditions.
stuff like humidity, barometric pressure and such.
say you had a cloudy, cool, day with low humidity which would leave the air with more oxygen than normal so you would run slightly richer
on the flip side if you had a sunny, clear, and high humidity which would leave the air with less oxygen than normal so you would run slightly leaner.

it really depends on the weather
if you live in a place where the weather changes like a womans mind then tuning may be a regular thing.
if you live where the weather is a consistant thing and very predictable then you may not have to tune from day to day for months.
i live in cali and here lately it's been a crap shoot due to nutty weather this year.

however, once you learn more about tuning it is really easy especially if you know what to listen for.

papy_yosh 04-16-2011 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

it really depends on the weather
if you live in a place where the weather changes like a womans mind then tuning may be a regular thing.
however, once you learn more about tuning it is really easy especially if you know what to listen for.
I love that quote.thx bigdog
This is totaly true and it works for woman too ;)