RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   rich but running hot? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/11567203-rich-but-running-hot.html)

hardrock2401 07-11-2013 05:34 PM

rich but running hot?

Ihave a ofna nexx 8t with the force .32, It is pretty new, maybe a quart or two past my break in. I leaned it out a tiny bit and it has a beautiful stream of blue smoke all the way to hitting its top speed. But my temps are quite high, the couple runs I did with the leaner setting I saw 240-250. After a day of sitting Itook the glow plug out and it too has fuel on it so I know I am not running lean. Could this problem maybe be caused by bad fuel? I am using o'donells racing fuel (the one in the white bottle). Ibought it from my lhs and have no idea how long its been sitting, the lables faded quite a bit so I am guessing its been there a while.No love around my parts for nitro lol.

Any help would be awesome.

nitroexpress 07-11-2013 07:53 PM

RE: rich but running hot?

What was the outside temperature? 240 - 250 is not unreasonable.

purenitro33 07-12-2013 12:06 AM

Depending on how much fuel you ran for break-in, it's possible that the pinch is still a little tight and that will make it run a little hotter until it's fully broken-in. I also agree with nitro that 240-250 is perfectly fine after you've run it hard for a bit.

supertib 07-12-2013 03:28 AM

ORIGINAL: hardrock2401

I have a ofna nexx 8t with the force .32, It is pretty new, maybe a quart or two past my break in. I leaned it out a tiny bit and it has a beautiful stream of blue smoke all the way to hitting its top speed. But my temps are quite high, the couple runs I did with the leaner setting I saw 240-250. After a day of sitting I took the glow plug out and it too has fuel on it so I know I am not running lean. Could this problem maybe be caused by bad fuel? I am using o'donells racing fuel (the one in the white bottle). I bought it from my lhs and have no idea how long its been sitting, the lables faded quite a bit so I am guessing its been there a while. No love around my parts for nitro lol.

Any help would be awesome.

what is the oil/nitro content ? if your running a sport fuel with high oil its going to run very hot as opposed to a race fuel with lower oil.........Lower nitro/high oil fuels will run even hotter ..... something like 20/12 will run much hotter then something like 30/8 ............

hardrock2401 07-12-2013 03:31 AM

20 nitro, 8% synthetic oil is what I'm running...still on the original b4 "hot" plug

nitroexpress 07-12-2013 11:30 AM

Is the driveline running free? No binding and such. What surface are you running on? Grass?Sidenote - I wouldn't run 100% synthetic fuel.

supertib 07-12-2013 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: hardrock2401

20 nitro, 8% synthetic oil is what I'm running...still on the original b4 ''hot'' plug

I didn't know OD made 8% oil fuel

nitroexpress 07-12-2013 12:26 PM

http://www.odonnellracing.com/racingfuel/index.html

hardrock2401 07-12-2013 04:32 PM

Nothing blocking or dragging, all the drivetrain spins freely<div> Truck is mostly driven on dirt or hard packed gravel. Very rarley sees grass.</div>

Airbus 9e 07-22-2013 03:52 AM

Is the body opened up to let air get to the cooling head?

flatpickhippster 07-22-2013 01:01 PM

I'd also make sure your temp gun is giving an accurate reading. Good Luck.

Anthoop 07-23-2013 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: flatpickhippster

I'd also make sure your temp gun is giving an accurate reading. Good Luck.
Even if it was it will never tune an engine properly.

flatpickhippster 07-23-2013 03:25 PM

quote:

Even if it was it will never tune an engine properly.

Might as well make sure its accurate before doing any tuning.