RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   Good cheapish motors that really scream when mildly modded? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/5603187-good-cheapish-motors-really-scream-when-mildly-modded.html)

flatlander_14 03-22-2007 09:40 PM

Good cheapish motors that really scream when mildly modded?

So my Hyper .21 was on borrowed time(I've had it for 3 years/9+ gallons IIRC) and I'm at the point that it is costing me time around the track(and I just want to go faster!!!!). So last night I went to a buddy's house who has been racing his cars and modding his engines for a long time. I let him get creative with my engine as a "test mule" for stuff he wanted to try:

-slightly ported the boost ports(outside only so as not to screw with timing)
-ported the intake port
-cylinder head grooves(google "Somender Singh" if you want to find out what I'm talking about)
-little smoothed out groove things on the crank

Well needless to say this delived a LOT more fuel to the engine. It was blubbering rich to start, I had to lean out the LSN a lot to get it to idle more than 5 seconds without loading up, but when it got to temp from just going around slow, I went like 3/4 throttle and POP. Hydrolocked it and I'm sure the rod is broken/bent(haven't torn down yet but it is not right haha).

So I REALLY want to modify a motor myself to save a bit of money and just because I like doing stuff myself.

I'd like to get a motor that has a very strong bottom end(not ballistic, but if it can be made hella-fast with the help of lighter clutch shoes and heavier clutch springs then it will do) and a great top-end. I don't know if you can expect RB S7 performance, but it would be cool to shoot for something like that.

Some motors I'm considering:

-Hyper 8 Port(I've heard aren't really great for modding)
-Hyper 4 Port(what I've got now)
-TTR .21
-Picco 3 Port
-RB 3 port
-Werks B3

If none are really worth it I'll just get an RB S5 or S7 and leave it stock(don't want to risk destroying a higher $$ motor).

flatlander_14 03-23-2007 07:43 PM

RE: Good cheapish motors that really scream when mildly modded?

So everyone here leaves their engines 100% stock?[&o]

SManMTB 03-23-2007 07:59 PM

-TTR .21

Very fun to work on.

SAVAGEJIM 03-23-2007 09:15 PM

I am tryin my hand at modding right now. I just modded a D30M, my first try at modding an engine I intend to use.

I am still trying to load more pics; check out this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52...mpage_4/tm.htm

flatlander_14 03-23-2007 09:53 PM

Thanks, I just read through the whole thread;)

SManMTB: Care to go into some detail? Have you modded one yourself?

SManMTB 03-23-2007 10:37 PM

Ohh yes. :D

It's a cheap engine with cheap spare parts. Runs great stockk too btw but inspired use of the dremel makes it better.
Cut away as much as you dare on the bottom of the sleeve to open up the channels. Chop away the skirt of the piston as much as you dare for the same reason.
Let me say... it responds well to this. It doesn't look pretty but it works.
Some grinding on the crank should be done too. :)

I'm feeding it 30% this year.

mentorman 03-24-2007 12:27 PM

I mod my own engines too, and yes the richer runing is normal, you just needed to retune some more. Your rod is only like 14.+- dollars at www.nitrohouse.com its a cheap part. I modded a stock force 28 and it now blows away my dynamite 28. Modded the dynamite and will go into my MGT. Its all about tuning. Modded the thundertiger 28 in the MGT and pulls wheelies all day long.

flatlander_14 03-24-2007 08:42 PM

Thanks for the replies...

Tore the engine apart. Piston and rod are fine... I snapped the "journal" off the crank![X(]

How would the TTR .21 compare to the 4 port Hyper .21? I'd like to see some videos if you guys have any to share as well[&:]