RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   my trx 2.5 stalls when i hit the brake (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/6100349-my-trx-2-5-stalls-when-i-hit-brake.html)

mike323 07-11-2007 09:27 PM

my trx 2.5 stalls when i hit the brake

i have tried tuning my engine tons of times but still it cuts out when touch the brake.i have tried every thing im kinda new with nitro cars and i need some help with tuning my engine.if anybody has any advice or why it does this let me know.

megamaxx 07-11-2007 10:01 PM

RE: my trx 2.5 stalls when i hit the brake

could be a couple of things 1 engine idle is to high ,2 chk the clutch spring, may be busted not alowing the shoes to disengage the bell

ultraLX 07-11-2007 10:53 PM

I think the problem is that your engine Idle is to low I had the same problem with mine.... I had to turn the Idle screw in a lot more than what I thought was needed.... then adjust the throttle trim on the controller as needed..
hope that helps

mike323 07-11-2007 11:06 PM

thanks i will try adjusting the idle screw do you know the setting for it

lemans23 07-12-2007 08:51 AM

You want the carburetor to be about 1-2mm open at idle. Just enough to keep it from moving, but enough to keep it running without bogging down low.

JeffyB 07-12-2007 10:10 AM

I have had this happen to me, in my situation it was the clutch springs that was to blame they wouldn't let the bell spin freely when the brakes were applied and just stalled the engine. Worth a look before you go changing needle settings.

proptop 07-12-2007 10:40 AM

You need to adjust the idle speed stop screw...just go by feel, turn it in a little at a time until you get it to where the engine will keep running when you hit the brakes.
It's a bit of a balancing act...

mike323 07-12-2007 02:20 PM

thanks guys i have tried adjusting the idle stop screw all the way in and all the way out and it still stalls.Its not clucth shoes or spring those are new.It has something to do with the carb it drives fine good aceleration and top speed and it idles but when i touch the brake it stalls.If you have any info let me know

noleboy82 07-12-2007 02:33 PM

CHECK THE ANGLE OF YOUR CARB YOU ARE HAVING A LINKAGE PROBLEM

SAVAGEJIM 07-12-2007 04:37 PM

As for the engine stalling at idle, there could be several reasons why:

1) As already addressed, the idle needle might be set to where your carb is closed all the way or not open enough to allow the engine to remain running. Do what everyone else already said to correct this.

2) Again, as already addressed, your clutch spring might be too weak, they might be broken, or your clutch might be assembled incorrectly. Refer to your owners manual and diemount the engine, take off the clutchbell (CB), inspect the clutch shoes, and repair as appropriate.

3) Your low speed needle (LSN) might be tuned improperly. Listen to the sounds of your engine when you pull the trigger just far enough to keep it running. If it sounds improperly, tune the LSN and retune the idle screw to match such that it runes properly at idle when you let off the trigger completely.

IOWAREVO 07-12-2007 04:52 PM

Here's Traxxas' take on the problem:

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...when%20braking

All4_Nitro 07-12-2007 11:30 PM

if you are using under 20% then that may make it stall. cause i used 10% after i used 20% and it ran weird... and had those same problems[&o] but the 20% works perfect...:D

civicphreak 07-13-2007 12:32 AM

I had this happen to me, here's how i fixed it:

Take off your air filter and look at the gap of your throttle. It should be 1mm.

Hit the brakes on your controller and watch the throttle (it should not be 100% closed, it should still stay at 1mm gap openining).
If it closes 100%, I'd try the idle screw first.

It can also be the throttle trim (adjust that to 1mm), if not, unscrew the servo arm and reposition it slightly to give you the 1mm gap when closing.

Your brakes should only engage the brakes when you roll the car with your hand.

SAVAGEJIM 07-13-2007 12:03 PM

Good to hear you solved it. How does the car perform at low RPMs as you give it gas? If it performs poorly during acceleration, you will have to tune the LSN also.

Aurban87505 03-01-2022 02:40 PM

Help please

Originally Posted by SAVAGEJIM (Post 6106482)
Good to hear you solved it. How does the car perform at low RPMs as you give it gas? If it performs poorly during acceleration, you will have to tune the LSN also.

I was just wondering how was the issue fixed I am having the same thing with a T-Maxx 2.5!