RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   I'm confused now. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/9534526-im-confused-now.html)

Raguvian 02-25-2010 11:41 AM

I'm confused now.

I've been reading up on after run oiling, and while everyone says to drop some in the glow plug hole and then turn the engine over, I can't seem to find out if you should be putting the oil in the carb or not. It seems that some people say it's good for the engine, others say it's bad for the o-rings in the carb.

Which one is it? Should I put the ARO in the carb or not?[&:]

Thanks.

VooDooModified 02-25-2010 02:03 PM

RE: I'm confused now.

I put it in the glow plug hole and the carb...never had anything but good results.

mubus 02-25-2010 03:59 PM

from what i ben hearing petroleum based after run oil will kill the silicon o ring in the carb or something so it is advised not to put it though the carb

Raguvian 02-25-2010 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: mubus

from what i ben hearing petroleum based after run oil will kill the silicon o ring in the carb or something so it is advised not to put it though the carb
That's what I've been hearing as well so I just stuck it down the glow plug hole.

snoking16 02-26-2010 12:24 AM

throw a couple drops of ARO in the glowplug hole and shoot some WD40 in the carb. Thats what i do after every run and i just pulled my engine apart and it looks brand new after having 5 gallons run through it.

Raguvian 02-26-2010 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: snoking16

throw a couple drops of ARO in the glowplug hole and shoot some WD40 in the carb. Thats what i do after every run and i just pulled my engine apart and it looks brand new after having 5 gallons run through it.
Ok, cool, thanks.

bikeracer 02-26-2010 03:19 AM

Putting ARO directly down the carb won't affect the needle "O" rings,just don't try and inject it into the carb through the fuel line.

Beats me how people put a couple of drops down the plug hole and expect it to magically get to the bearings and the conrod bushings,not only is it not effective and gets blown out of the exhaust as soon as the engine is turned over,but there's a good chance that grit will fall in the plug hole.

Best way is to literally fill the carb and turn the flywheel to suck it in,then spin the motor with the starter to distribute it.

snoking16 02-26-2010 03:27 AM

^^^ another good way to do it.

also KY warming sensations is a great ARO...
lol :D

VooDooModified 02-26-2010 12:39 PM

i agree with Bikeracer

navyeoseabee 03-14-2010 01:11 AM

okay, thinking out side of the box......the carb o-ring is at the top of the (and outside) the carbs neck... the oild would just drain through the carb...how would this get down the neck and back up through the gap in between the engine block and the carbs neck?

don't kill me here , i am just thinking out side the box.

i stopped using after run oil since i went to o'Donnels fuel, it has more and better oils in it. if i go back to any others i would start using after run oil . also for 17 years i never oiled the carb, just 2-3 drops in the glo plug hole and cran it over.

Argess 03-14-2010 07:47 AM

The only time I ever use ARO is for an assembly lube if I am re-assembling an engine. I've had engines sit for years and be fine. I'm not saying using ARO is a wasted effort, but I think the necessity of using it is very over-rated.

There's not may steel parts in an engine to rust. Primarily it is the bearings and crank that can rust, so putting it down the glowplug hole doesn't really get it to where it should go. If you only put it down the carb, it will get everywhere as it goes through the engine when you turn it over a few times.

Even for fuels wihtout added ARO, when the engine runs out of fuel, there will be residual lubricating oil (from the fuel) in there and that will rpotect it. Any residual alcohol (from the fuel) evaporates off the internal surfaces very quickly leaving the lubricating oil behind.

absolutemayhem 03-14-2010 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: bikeracer

Putting ARO directly down the carb won't affect the needle ''O'' rings,just don't try and inject it into the carb through the fuel line.

Beats me how people put a couple of drops down the plug hole and expect it to magically get to the bearings and the conrod bushings,not only is it not effective and gets blown out of the exhaust as soon as the engine is turned over,but there's a good chance that grit will fall in the plug hole.

Best way is to literally fill the carb and turn the flywheel to suck it in,then spin the motor with the starter to distribute it.

+1 the crank and bearing are what really need the ARO..so i dont see how putting it on top of the piston, then turn the stater a few times..thats only gonna shoot the aro out the exhaust. PUT ARO IN THE CARB....[8D]

also, if you run fuel with castor oil in it, ARO is a must after a weekend race or bash...the castor oil will gum up the motor.