Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Is carden really that good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 AM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is carden really that good?

Oh one more thing...the Comp has a DA100 and the Cap has a 3W106. Love them both!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:28 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Silvanskii,
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I read it back when it was first posted . At the time I was just starting out in large scale planes and thought I did not have the skills to build a Carden. My plan was to build a less expensive kit and acquire the skills necessary . I ended up with a Lanier 40% Edge which I built and have been flying since last February. Since then I have lost the urge to build a Carden. My Lanier Edge flies, in my opinion , as well as any Carden I have had the privilege to fly with my limited skills. I will some day build a Carden but for now the pleasure I get flying my Lanier Edge is priceless.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: figueroa

Silvanskii,
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I read it back when it was first posted . At the time I was just starting out in large scale planes and thought I did not have the skills to build a Carden. My plan was to build a less expensive kit and acquire the skills necessary . I ended up with a Lanier 40% Edge which I built and have been flying since last February. Since then I have lost the urge to build a Carden. My Lanier Edge flies, in my opinion , as well as any Carden I have had the privilege to fly with my limited skills. I will some day build a Carden but for now the pleasure I get flying my Lanier Edge is priceless.
And that is I believe the entire point of this thread to begin with! Beyond all the beating around the bush. I've never flown that big of a Lanier, but I bet it's pretty fun to fly especially when built right, and it sounds like you did just that.

Actually I had a DA and a 3W in the same house and they seemed to get along well together. Probably because I gave them equal flying time so they didn't get jealous.

I dunno, I've flown pretty much all the major manufacturer's planes, and you know what? When a manufacturer gets to the point of making a giant scale kit/arf (33%+), then they have to know what they are doing or they are going to make 3 or 4 then go out of business. Just choose the one YOU want, and have fun, they're all good quality.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
russian
My Feedback: (23)

Hi, everybody!
I was watching this thread from very beginning, and now, I think, is the time to say a word.
As you probably noticed my user name is russian and I'm really russian modeller who build hundreds of different model airplanes in Russia and Ukraine in the past 36 years. I leave and fly RC IMAC planes in USA for 8 years and consider myself professional builder but I don't do it for hire (at list for now).
From this background and experience let me share my thots with you.
As far as the Carden is so popular, I got one of their 40% Extras 330S kit from here RCU for $960 shipped to me Ravena, NY from California, originally kit was $1199 plus shipping. So, I save about $300 just on the kit. From what I feel the person who sold it to me opened the box and decided not to build it because all what he so in the boxses was just a wood and foam with some figerglass parts. My own impression (with all my experience behind) was almost the same and I was almost ready resell the kit, but after looking at the kit for about two weeks I start build it.
I found that this kit is not for beginners and the amount of work and hours to get it done is huge but as for me it is OK! Now all hard work done and finelly I can see the plane instead of wood stick in the boxes.
The design of the kit is good. The plane comes really nice and I fall in love with it. It has a very good rounded shape and great proportions. I did some improvements to the plane but not much.
I really enjoy building process and highly recommend to everyone who has creative nature go throuh this experience. While I was building the plane, I attend some IMAC events here in the NE region and noticed that the Carden 40% Extra was dominating plane on every event. In my opinion it was the best flying and looking plane!
Now about quality: the balsa in the kit is not the best - about half of it could be better for the price asked, the foam parts not perfect but OK! Fiberglass parts was very good quality pieces.
So, finally what I got?
1. This is great looking, flying airplane.
2. The design is great.
3. The price is too high (in my opinion shoud be around $800).
4. All 4 boxes you buy from Carden is just wood and foam - it is not an airplane - you'll make it airplane. So, you pay just for Design of well advertised airplane which is now classic, the demand for Carden makes price so high.
So, after all if you guys ask me if I want buid another Carden I say Yes but If you ask me will I buy Carden, I'll say NO.
I better build my own design next and it will be 38%Yak55SP.
I don't pretend to have my point of view as ultimate opinion but this is what I got.
I wish there will be more kit manufacturers and they compete with each other and in result of it we'll get resonably priced product.
Thanks and Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:18 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to put my 2 cents in on this one. I have built 2 Carden aircraft, 1- 40% Edge 540 and 1- 40% Cap 232. I have been building and flying radio controlled aircraft for over 25 years now. I have never seen anything with the quality of Carden kits. I am very particular when it comes to quality. Yes , I agree there is some building involved, definately not entry level. All of Cardens kits are cut by hand and all the wood is hand picked. If you need a soft piece of wood it has been supplied, if it needs to be a hard piece it is. No warped wood, no die crunching, no laser cutting that is off!! Even the foam is cut to a college level of cutting. The foam is more precise than anything I have ever built. Dennis got me started into Giant Scale and if it wasn't for him I mite have spent even more money doing it wrong. Try to get some of these other companies on the phone to answer your questions, it doesn't happen. I feel that the Carden kits are worth there weight in gold. When your done everybody drewls over them, on the ground and in the air. The prices are high because he has earned it by the quality and service he provides.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

I have to put my 2 cents in on this one. I have built 2 Carden aircraft, 1- 40% Edge 540 and 1- 40% Cap 232. I have been building and flying radio controlled aircraft for over 25 years now. I have never seen anything with the quality of Carden kits. I am very particular when it comes to quality. Yes , I agree there is some building involved, definately not entry level. All of Cardens kits are cut by hand and all the wood is hand picked. If you need a soft piece of wood it has been supplied, if it needs to be a hard piece it is. No warped wood, no die crunching, no laser cutting that is off!! Even the foam is cut to a college level of cutting. The foam is more precise than anything I have ever built. Dennis got me started into Giant Scale and if it wasn't for him I mite have spent even more money doing it wrong. Try to get some of these other companies on the phone to answer your questions, it doesn't happen. I feel that the Carden kits are worth there weight in gold. When your done everybody drewls over them, on the ground and in the air. The prices are high because he has earned it by the quality and service he provides.
Oh come on , worth there wieght in gold [8D], I think that is stretching it abit!!! They are good planes , but there is a few other companies out there that is right there with carden. I dont believe that carden hand picks there wood either , all they do is order AAA wood and use it. There is no way they go to the balsa factory and pick out what wood they want for there planes.

Now dont get me wrong Cardens are good kits and fly great , But I have to ask why does anyone want an airplane " built like a tank " I want an airplane built liek an airplane. Carden's fly great but they are a tad bit on the heavy side.

So the to answer the question of this post " Is Carden that good? " Well yeah they are if they are what you want. And to alot of Giant scale flyers , the answer is yes. And to other's the answer in no.

Chad
Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM
jrplane
My Feedback: (195)

do not judge the Carden until you fly it.

My 40% extra weighs 38 1/2 lbs on a good scale!!! (not bath room scales). I have an 35% Edge that is a little heavy at 29 lbs , regardless of the weight, how does it FLY!!!!!!!!

More Cardens are flown by the top pilots than all other put together.

Just a few thoughts, I dont claim to be right. I am very pleased with both my Cardens, Jeff
Old 12-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some people who will never look beyond the price when considering an airplane. No amount of conversation or suggestion will ever get them past it. The price is all that matters. Carden kits are expensive, but you're paying for a lot of personal time invested by Dennis into the design, manufacturing, wood selection, foam cutting, fiberglass parts, and so forth.

I have been flying Carden airplanes since 1995 and they are without a doubt the best flying aerobatic airplanes I've owned. They are not hard to build, just involved. There is a lot to do. Some people cannot get past the weight stereotype either, but I've found that after owning 6 of Dennis' designs now, that the weight is just an overblown issue. The performance is where it matters. My Extra 330s was as good a competition airplane as I've ever had. The airplanes fly so well that all I need to think about is the maneuver, not compensating for something the airplane is doing uncommanded.

But the best thing I can tell you is.. If you're considering buying a Carden kit, and are concerned about the price.. GO FLY ONE. Find someone near you and see if you can arrange a little time on the sticks. That's usually all it takes.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:05 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Doug, you have it all wrong. Let me Help...

If you are thinking of a Carden Don't Fly one! In fact if you fly Unlimited, or ever plan too, you should not even think about a Carden.

(Come on Doug do you really want to give our advantage away?)

On the other hand if you never plan on flying Unlimited at any contest ever, then you should defiantly buy a Carden. It is well worth the price of admission, and the Best plane that you will every own.

Rob
Old 12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I just started on a Yak from "those other guys" and the experience so far has just cemented my belief that you get what you pay for. Yea, a Carden is more expensive....but after trying a kit from someone else, I'm really regretting not waiting for another Carden. I bought "the other guys" Yak cause the price was good and I liked the photos I've seen of the finished ones.

I've built 2 Cardens for myself and absolutely loved both builds. They go together so easy it makes me look good. When the "other" kit showed up, my heart just sank when I opened the boxes. Totally unorganized, terrible packing, missing parts all over the place, extra parts of those that did make it into the box, terrible foam cutting, glass work that will take so much patching I could almost make my own cowl faster....it goes on and on. Then I started studying the plans....massively over-built. I made a pile of all the parts that just weren't needed or would not be used because I could build much lighter replacements.....I'm at 1.5lbs so far of extra "stuff".

In the end, I think I'll end up with a decent plane....but I'm having doubts now about how well it will fly compared to my Cardens. The extra work it's taking to turn it into a decent plane though has made the extra cost of a Carden kit seem like a bargain!

In the end, I learned my lesson and will be building nothing but Cardens from now on!!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

I have to know. What is the other guys name ???

Chad
Old 12-27-2005, 08:33 PM
jmiracle

i'm not going to start a pi**ing match about who is better than who....so I'll just leave it at that.
If you really need to know, PM me but keep it out of the forums.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:45 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Jmiracle. I feel your pain, I too built a couple of "them kits" and decided not to ever buy another one. Like you said the foam was bad and so was the fiberglass, it's a real shame because at the time the price seemed right. On the other hand I just got a carden yak (actually my dad's) and as always we are very pleased with the kit. How does the phenolic tubes fit in the foam cores? I built a couple of their kits and the hole on the wings for the phenolics were so big I had to wrap the sockets with cardboard to make up the diference.
Good luck with your plane.

Albert Santiago
Old 12-27-2005, 09:06 PM
jmiracle

Albert,

I agree...it is a shame because they are a good price....until you see what a little extra money will get you.

You have me scared on the phenolics....especially when I looked at the stabs and noticed the hole looks like it has been cut out with a hack-saw blade.

It's a good thing I enjoy building....this one has now become a challenge to see how many areas I can improve. If I can make it look good and fly as well as my 330, then I'll really feel like I've acomplished something.