Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Another 32% Yak build

Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 32% Yak build

I just got the tracking info for a 32% Yak...I should be knee deep in balsa and foam sometime early next week I'm building this one for a friend. I'll be doing a build thread as an easy way to keep him posted on the progress the same as I did with the Cuda. Of course everyone else is welcome to add suggestions, comments or questions.

Steve
Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Another 32% Yak build

I didn't want to include this Yak construction in the other one started by Steve K. Boy would that get confusing, Two Steve's building two Yaks.
and it looks like he's doing a great job and I didn't think it would be fair to jump on his coat tails.
that being said. The big brown truck was here today and dropped off 4 big boxes.
I know it's been said a million times before but I'll say it again. What an awesome kit Dennis puts out. This looks like it's going to be a fantastic plane and I'm anxious to get into it. Like the last two I built it's going to be bittersweet to hand it over to the rightful owner when it's complete.

here are a couple "in the box" photos.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96316.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	544064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20153.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	544065  
Old 10-19-2006, 06:10 PM
My Feedback: (17)

What engine/mufflers are going to use?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 PM

DA100 on a pair of canisters.
Not sure about the complete package until I talk to Dennis and DA about a good set up for this plane
Old 10-20-2006, 08:13 PM

This may be a total waste of time but I do this to try to keep the tail as light as possible.
but we're only talking "grains" here.

I weigh all the pre-cut vertical truss pieces on a grain scale and then put the lightest ones in the back and move forward as they get heavier.
It always happens that I end up with one or two really heavy and one or two really light.
this time the lightest was 10.5 grains, the heaviest 28.0 grains. The majority of the them were right around 15.5 gr.
since the 28 was an odd ball I will replace it and cut a new piece that comes in closer to the average.

Steve

Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 PM

here's a pic

Steve

Name:	Zx72495.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	544721  
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Steve,

I don't think you're wasting you time at all. I do the same thing, easier to balance a nose heavy airplane.

Albert
Old 10-20-2006, 10:18 PM
My Feedback: (11)

RCBS- been a while, Still got a 10/10 and a Rock chucker in the basement...
Old 10-21-2006, 06:31 PM

yeah it's old, probably 25 years old...I use to do a lot of trap shooting and reloading AA's now it cost more to reload a box than it does to buy one.

Steve
Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: ibow24

This may be a total waste of time but I do this to try to keep the tail as light as possible.
but we're only talking "grains" here.

Steve

Not a waste of time at all. I weighed every stick and every piece of sheeting on my Yak. The goal was to put the rudder servos in the tail and not a pull-pull. Mission accomplished. However you could save some time by getting a digital scale (available at Staple, Office Depot etc). As this task would be much faster. You can borrow mine if you'd like.

.........Mark
Old 10-25-2006, 06:48 AM

Thanks Mark,
I did just purchase my own digital scale. Much better then the old beam grain scale.
My neighbor came in while I was weighing those sticks with my little beam scale and he said I looked like a crack dealer getting ready for big weekend sale....I'm a little worried that he knows what crack dealers look like.

Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Steve,

That's great , 'I'm a little worried that he knows what a crack dealer looks like' LMAO!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM

FINALLY...a little time to do a little work on the Yak and post an update.

The fuse sides are finished. Here are a few photos. Nothing different here except my mods to add rudder servos in the rear of the fuse.
I'm putting a servo bay in each side of the fuse.
The photo shows the basic servo bay however the 1/4 x 1/2 hardwood mount will be added after I sheet the sides.

I do not sheet the fuse sides or add the ply wing tube socket to the fuse at this stage. It's a little hard to explain but I found if you install the wing tube socket now it does not line up exactly where it should when you set the fuse side over the top view and try to line it up with the motor box.
for that reason I build the motor box and then set it over the top view and set one fuse side in position over the top view. Slide the wing tube socket
into the motorbox, through the fuse socket support and then through the fuse side. make sure everything is square and true and now glue the
fuse socket support onto the fuse side. After it drys I do the same with the other side. Now I go back and add the 1/8" sheet to fuse sides.
after that I pin one fuse side in position over the top view. Slide a long piece of sharpened scrap wing tube socket through the motor box, through the ply fuse socket support and with a twisting motion I cut a clean hole through the 1/8" sheet. It makes a perfect hole every time.
See, hard to explain. I'll take some photos of the steps when I get to it.

Steve

Name:	Ig11526.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	576074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81713.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	576075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24398.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	576076  
Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM

When it came to the motorbox sides we decided to go a little more aggresive then the plans show but not as aggresive as a lot of guys have been doing.
I wanted to leave the area intact from the front of the fuse forward. Even so I shaved almost 9 oz. total cutting out the sides as I did.

Steve

Name:	Lj23164.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	580905  
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM

Here's a photo of the completed (almost) motorbox.
I filled in the bottom holes with sheet balsa because we will be using MTW canisters.

Steve

Name:	Zx70494.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	585437  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:55 PM

nothing really worth another picture but I got all the skins glues up and sanded, I did sheet some of the foam like the deck pieces and the rudder/fin.
I need to get the fuse sides glued up to the motorbox so I can then do the prep work on the wing foam and get those sheeted too.
Like all the other Carden's I've built this one too has been a pleasure to work on. Other than reading through the manual when I first
opened the kit to make sure there was nothing new I had to look out for, I don't think I've really looked at it..Oh, and of course to get
the layout of the skins.

Steve
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Alright Steve, Holidays are over and New Years Eve is over, back to work!!! We need Pictures!

Ward
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM

How about a picture of my dog full of poly glue after he decided it would be a good idea to chew on the top deck while it was curing.

Mans best friend my A....................
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 PM

I know I haven't posted much of this build. I have the motorbox finished.
This is my 4th Carden build and since I'm pretty familiar with how everything is going to go I completely finished the motorbox
before joining it to the fuse the sides. It just made easier to handle and move around while I got it done.
On my other builds I made the basic motorbox, finished it to the fuse and then added the tank floor, can mounts etc.
I think this way was much easier.
I have have tunnel for the cans made with a little curved piece of 1/16" sheet ply in the back for hot air to exit.
It had 3 coats of polyuerethane on it for fuel proof.
Now it's time to add the fuse sides and make it start looking like a plane.

Steve

Name:	Fd92142.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	608789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83545.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	608790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44937.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	608791  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm finally ready to really get going on making this look like a plane.

I finished up some mods to the fuse sides before I begin to join it to the motorbox.

I will be using the method some by Walt (BBW) to secure the stabs. I needed to add an additional piece of 3/8" hardwood
under the hole for the stab tube to accept a 6-32 T-nut. The plans already provide for a piece of hardwood near
the front of the stab for securing the L bracket but we will be using a T-nut here too.
The pictures show the 1/8 ply stab root with the 2 mounting tabs. The root ply is actually sitting on the inside
of the fuse so you can see how the mounting tabs line up with the hardwood where the T-nuts will go.

Steve

Name:	Ec88002.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	613628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11575.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	613629  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:50 PM

correction: in the description of the picture above. I didn't really mean to say that the root ply is on the inside of the fuse.
It's on the correct side of fuse but BEFORE the 1/8 balsa sheet is added.
sorry for the confusion.

Steve
Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 PM

ALSO. Above the front mounting tab is a 1/4" hole for a dowel anti rotation pin I am also putting in place.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 PM

I do not glue the wing tube support in the fuse sides until I'm ready to glue the fuse sides to the motorbox
then I do one side at a time making sure the tube is square etc.
then with only one fuse side installed to the motorbox The I sand the inside edge of the socket tube to a sharp edge and then soak
it with thin CA. I use this with a twisting motion to cut through the 1/8 balsa fuse side.
Once I have one side installed and the hole cut, then I repeat for the oppsite side.
this makes for a very nice hole since you are cutting through with the fuse side already set at an angle to the motorbox.
If you cut this hole at 90 degrees you will need to open it up for the socket tube to slide through.

Steve

Name:	Hf99919.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	619899  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:44 PM

Here are a few pictures of the fuse pretty much finished but before it's removed from the building board.
Nothing special here. Just take them to make sure all the cross pieces fit nice and tight but not so tight
that you push the fuse sides out of square. Use lots of squares and check often to keep everything nice and true.

Steve

Name:	If10542.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	625256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48133.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	625257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15133.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	625258  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Sorry for turning this into the most boring build thread around. I know I haven't posted much but I ended up with an eye allergy to a new brand of contacts and I've been seeing double for the last month. I've only been able to work on it a few minutes a night before the strain on my eyes get to bad...It's finally starting to get back to normal.
Anyway, I have the fuse pretty much completed with the bottom deck and rear bottom hatch fabricated, wing and stab tube set-up square and true and glued in place.
From there I started on the wings. First making sure the foam cores mated up to the fuse sides nice and tight.
this evening I laid out the locations for all the servos in the wings and stabs. Tomorrow I hope to have the servo bays cut out
and mounting rails installed. Unless someone really wants to see some photos of this I won't post them. I think everyone has seen this done enough times.
I plan on skinning the wings and stabs this weekend.

If there is anything someone would like to see a picture of let me know and I'll post a couple.
Since this is now my fourth Carden build I've been able to move along without paying much attention to the instructions....hmmmm
maybe THAT"s the reason it ended up as a biplane with tricycle gear.???

seriously, it builds like all the other Carden's and it's a pleasure to work with.
The canopy looks like more of challange than the Extra and Cuda's I built. I may be asking some questions of the guys who have already
built the Yak.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.