Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How difficult is the 35% Edge build?

Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

How difficult is the 35% Edge build?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult is the 35% Edge build?

I'm relatively new to building with a 40 SSE, two 60 Goldberg Ultimates, & a couple profile kits under my belt.

I'm considering picking up a 35% Edge kit and was wondering how the build compares in difficulty. All my kits so far have had built up wings, so obviously there will be a learning curve on the sheeting.

I'm already flying a 30% Edge ARF, so I'm not worried about moving up in plane size, just curtious on the build.

I'm also curious to the average hours it takes to build one. I tend to put in about 30 hours a week on my builds when I get going.

Thanks

Tony
Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How difficult is the 35% Edge build?

Tony,

I don't think there is anything specifically in the build that will cause you problems. Really, it is just a large project that can get overwhelming if you don't break it up in chunks. There are a number of online build threads both in this forum and many others that document the majority of the Carden building steps - and the 35% Edge is a newer kit that uses these techniques. If you think you can handle it, you probably can. I love to build and Cardens are fantastic flying airplanes that are fun to build. Good luck!

Ken
Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

If you like building then you'll really like this kit. All carden kits build the same way so you can go on the different build threads here on the carden forum and will probably find the answer or post your question and you'll get an answer as well. I've been lucky to build at least one of every carden including the 35% edge so if you have any questions shoot me an e-mail.

The only thing I would keep in mind when doing the edge is that they can come out tail heavy if you're not careful. Use the lightest wood on the tail and you should be fine. BTW mine was 27.5 popunds with a DA 100 on stock mufflers, also keep in mind that this is a big 35% by this I mean next to other 35% airplanes it looks bigger.

Albert
Old 07-02-2007, 06:30 PM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: rcplanefan

Tony,

I don't think there is anything specifically in the build that will cause you problems. Really, it is just a large project that can get overwhelming if you don't break it up in chunks. There are a number of online build threads both in this forum and many others that document the majority of the Carden building steps - and the 35% Edge is a newer kit that uses these techniques. If you think you can handle it, you probably can. I love to build and Cardens are fantastic flying airplanes that are fun to build. Good luck!

Ken
I like the way you put it Ken "If you think you can handle it, you probably can." That pretty much sums it up for me.

ORIGINAL: as722

If you like building then you'll really like this kit. All carden kits build the same way so you can go on the different build threads here on the carden forum and will probably find the answer or post your question and you'll get an answer as well. I've been lucky to build at least one of every carden including the 35% edge so if you have any questions shoot me an e-mail.

The only thing I would keep in mind when doing the edge is that they can come out tail heavy if you're not careful. Use the lightest wood on the tail and you should be fine. BTW mine was 27.5 popunds with a DA 100 on stock mufflers, also keep in mind that this is a big 35% by this I mean next to other 35% airplanes it looks bigger.

Albert
I do like to build, so I am looking forward to the challenge and I'll be sure and post plenty of questions as I go along.

I've seen several of these at my field and that's one of the reasons I want to build one. I'd love to go straight to a 40%, but I wouldn't be able to fit it in my truck. hehe. The Carden edge is a foot longer than my 30%, so even it will be a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10715.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	715293  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:40 AM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

The Carden 35% Edge was my first giant build and was no problem compared to building
a smaller wood kit. I agree that you must be carefull with keeping the tail as light as
possible!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:53 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

As others have indicated, the kit isn't hard to build- in fact, I find that the Carden kits really tend to make you look good once it's all done. The only caution I would mention is, if you haven't ever done a foam wing before, make sure you get some instructrion of what you need to do there. There is a fair amount of foam sheeting in these kits. Review the different build threads- even if it isn't the same plane or size, it will translate since the Cardens are engineered pretty much the same from plane to plane. You can pick up some lightening tips, especially by taking weight out of the plywood.

Dave
Old 09-08-2008, 11:39 PM
OldF1guy

The Edge to me at least is a pretty easy build, most everything is straight forward, but remember it is a fairly large airplane and thier is a lot of building to do.

For a person fairly new to building thier may not be a lot of information, or possibly enough with the kit, but thier is a lot of build info on the net and they pretty much all build the same, so in most cases what works for one will probbily work for for most all of them.

As to time for the build, I am sure that will vary with the builders skill. I have been on mine for about 2 1/2 weeks and am just about ready to cover everything.

I did all of the foam core prep and sheeting first then did the fuse sides.

Make sure that you have a really good buliding table that you can keep flat thought the sheeting process, since you will need to weight the cores with quite a lot of weight. The table needs to handle the weight without bowing, otherwise you may not have wings that are straight. I would think they need to be as straight as possible to get the best out of the finnished plane.

Build the truss fuse section straight and square ans the rest fits really well, at least mine did.

I have built a lot of planes in my time, both scratch and kits, this is the only Carden I have done, but it will not be my last. It is engineered well, the wood quality is as good as I have seen and they are great to talk to if you have a question.

I chose the 35% because it will fit in my truck, but I will say that it looks more like a 40% than something smaller, compaired to other 35's that I have seen.

Good luck if you decide to build one, I think you will like it. The Carden's I have seen fly do it well.

Jim.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 AM
sir crashallot

i recently read kregans build of 2 cardens 40% extras. he covers every aspect of the cardens and does a really good photo of every stage through the sheeting. in fact he photos every step of the build.
heres the link to it

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6437950&key=extra%2C300%2Cbuild]carden build[/link]
Old 10-11-2008, 05:28 PM
ibow24
My Feedback: (10)

You'll really enjoy building a Carden. Nothing I can add that others have not already said. I can only agree with what has been said.
If you built other kits and take the time to study the plans and follow some of the build threads on here you will be rewarded with a very nice plane.
The great thing about them is the Carden brotherhood and many excellent builders who have always taken the time to help others when
they have a question about their own build.
Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures for us

Steve
Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
speed8
My Feedback: (7)

Just got mind done . I put 3 flights on it this past weekend ,flys great . got to call kibby for graphics next . This is my 3rd one . extra 35% Yak 32% and now the Edge 35% . I thinks you can .just take your time and think ahead. Have fun and you love the way they fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85790.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1064683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91047.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1064684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47885.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1064685  
Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Jim T
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: speed8

Just got mind done . I put 3 flights on it this past weekend ,flys great . got to call kibby for graphics next . This is my 3rd one . extra 35% Yak 32% and now the Edge 35% . I thinks you can .just take your time and think ahead. Have fun and you love the way they fly.
Boy, all three look great! I'm presently building my first Carden, a 35% Extra 260. I'm just getting a good start on it, taking my time and really enjoying the process. All the great build threads are helping a lot.

Jim