Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Modifying the ailerons on the Carden's Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Modifying the ailerons on the Carden's Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
jimcday
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying the ailerons on the Carden's Edge 540

I will be starting on a new project, my first 40% build a Carden Edge 540. I have read in many threads the recommendations on modifying the ailerons by making them longer than what is listed on the plans or ever adding a taper. Is anyone flying this modification on their Carden Edge if so, what are the benefits gain over the standard set up listed on the plans, what ailerons dimensions are recommended, and are their any con’s to this modification, ?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Modifying the ailerons on the Carden's Edge 540

The longer ailerons allow for better control in a hover specially on a calm day. A few years back I built a 35 % edge with the stock aileron length and it was hard to keep it from torque rolling on a calm day, I've been making my ailerons longer since and like the better.

As far as tapered aileons go there's a lot of advantages and no disadvantages that I can see. The biggest advantage in my opinion is the fact that the tapared aileron is bigger than the constant cord stock aileron and because of this you'll get a faster roll rate with less throw. I'm running 1" servo arms on my 300 which gives me 32 degrees of throw but the roll rate is faster than with the smaller ailerons and 42 degrees of throw and of course using 1" arms is better for the linkages, servos etc.

Albert

Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM
hoverVT
My Feedback: (14)

I tapered the ailerons on may Carden 300 and it rolls and snaps better than my 330 with the same amount of throw. Albert knows what he is talking about and is very knowledgeable with Carden planes. I would definately lenthen and taper your ailerons.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
jimcday
My Feedback: (39)

Thanks for the fast responses, this is the information I was looking for. [sm=thumbup.gif]