Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Carden 40% Edge 540 build ( first time)

Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Carden 40% Edge 540 build ( first time)

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
mj1121
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carden 40% Edge 540 build ( first time)

That's exactly what I did except I went to Home Depot and purchased another long, aluminum straight edge. With the truss being lined up on both sides with the two straight edges, the one truss I did this evening came out great! I hope to do the other side and sheet both of them tomorrow. I plan on also starting on cutting the holes in the motor box so I can get that glued up by mid week. I went thru the optional hardware pack I got with the kit this evening and noticed some blind nuts and split washers were missing but no big deal. Thanks for the help so far.

Mark
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like it's moving along Mark. One servo per elevator half will be fine. Two per aileron. Also, make sure your building surface is completely flat and strong enough to support several hundred pounds without deflecting befor sheeting the flying surfaces
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 PM
mj1121

Thanks for the info Craig. I figured you build and fly enough of these to know. The bench I built should support the weight to do the sheeting. I hopped up on it with my 255 pounds worth and it seemed fine.

I made some real progress today as far as the fuse. I finished the second truss, cut and glued the fuse sheeting and started the motor box. Everything is turning out straight and square. I did screw up the placement of the 1/4 inch LG plate ( no wonder the thing wouldn't square up) due to my inexperience but I was able to fix the issue (epoxy is very strong) and everything is back on track. I will post some pics with this to show some of the progress and my solution to my mistake with the LG plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99324.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	756353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76274.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	756354  
Old 09-03-2007, 11:04 PM
mj1121

A couple more pics. Where the landing gear meets the LG plate, I will use the 1/4 inch balsa sheets fore and aft of the gear to give it a flush fit to the bottom of the fuse when finished and the . I know that mounting the LG plate in this way is not per the plans but with the 1/2 inch hardwood blocks and wood screws thru the motor box sides into these blocks, I don't see any strength issues with the plate in this location ( instead of sitting on the edges of the 1/8 inch motor box sides). I could probably stand on the plate and it would hold up. May this be a lesson to anyone building a kit like this with limited experience like myself. Take your time, check the plans more times than you think you need to, dry fit parts and check for issues, then glue when your sure everything will go together square and straight. I got lucky and was able to tear things apart with no damage to the hardwood.

Name:	Oj28055.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	756371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83605.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	756372  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Hi, glad to see things are coming along for you.

On the motorbox - did you re-do the landing gear plate so that it sits on top of the motorbox as per the plans? If not, I believe you may have an issue with the fit of the firewall up front since the motorbox is now 1/4" wider than it should be. Also, this will impact the setup of the fuse truss/sides and may require "slimming down" f-4, f-5, etc. Just be aware of this as you "engineer" your way through the fuse construction. Honestly, I am not sure how I would solve the firewall fit issue and would probably be tempted to start over, but that's just me - not trying to diminish your excitement about this project at all.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
mj1121

Thanks for the input. You can give your opinion any time. My reason for doing this build online was to give others a chance to pass on their experience thru this this thread.
In regards to the motorbox, I built it top down over the plans. I dry fit the box and checked to see if everything was square with ONLY the F1 and rear plate in place. Everything looked great, I got alittle full of myself, disassembled everything and then epoxied the F1, rear motorbox plate AND the LG plate . My downfall was the jig I made for this step to keep everything square. That whole keep it simple saying really rings true now. Needless to say, after I removed the jig from hell and checked everything with a builders square, I had a 1/8 inch gap on each side. By this time it had been about 30 minutes since I glued everything together with 30 MINUTE EPOXY and I found myself experiencing some nauesa. I used a thin, fine toothed saw to seperate ( cut ) the LG plate and it's 1/2 by 1/2 hardwood supports from the sides of the box. Little damage was done to the 1/8 inch ply sides but the LG plate was alittle beat up on the edges. I trimmed 1/8 inch off each end and flush mounted it. All measurements are now per the plans. I will add some type of extra support to the LG plate and hardwood stock from the interior of the fuse to make up for this change with little weight gain. The fact that the gear will sit "recessed in" and "flush" with the bottom of the finished fuse was not intended but I think It will turn out with a clean look.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
REM
My Feedback: (14)

I been building one too
My first carden build

Name:	Mk26248.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	757248  
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 PM
mj1121

That looks great! What do you think of the kit so far? I glued my fuse sheeting together the other night and epoxied them to the trusses this evening. I trimed the sheeting and gave them a light sanding and everything looks straight. I hope to mount them to the motor box tomorrow. Here are a couple pics.

Name:	Wu60469.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	757336   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43207.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	757337  
Old 09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
REM
My Feedback: (14)

I started building last Jan.
I have the fuse built and all the foam sheeted. I don't build much in the summer
Try this site some good info

www.edge540.com

Old 09-07-2007, 06:19 AM
lymant3

Just for future reference . . . should you ever again find yourself needing to undo parts that have been epoxied, except for foam, use your covering heat gun to heat the glue joint. You'll be able to simply peel the pieces apart without any damage to the wood.
t
Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 AM
mj1121

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I won't have to " unglue" anything else. I decided to add a smaller 1/4 inch plywood LG plate over the one I flush mounted tp bring the LG to the proper height. If I didn't, The gear would interfere with the fuse sides ( the foam sheeted wedges ). I'm home with my son today who is sick, so hopefully we can make some progress as far as getting the fuse joined up to the motorbox. Hey REM, I tried to get on that site but it won't come up. There was a site that showed a Carden Extra being built and I used some of his ideas. I hope to have somemore pics this evening.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 AM
mj1121

Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
mj1121

I went down to my club field this past weekend hoping to see a couple Cardens and talk with their owners about the build. Talking to Steve Swahn ( he has built a few of these) I decided to take some of the 1/8 inch sheeting out of the rear of the fuse even though both sides were already sheeted and mounted to the motor box. I have seen others on the internet doing this to various extremes and decided to give it a shot. I started where the wing ended at the fuse and went back to where the stab started. I left the rest from that point back alone. The fuse in it's present state seems plenty rigid and when the sheeted foam goes on, it should be even stronger. My next step is to start shaping some copper wire to fit in my solder gun so I can cut my servo bays in the wing cores and get them sheeted. Here are a couple pics.

Name:	Vs55820.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	761282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70677.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	761283  
Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

I see you have the low rider stab tube hole [X(]. I also have one of those in my 40% edge.. With the lightened fuse sides you will be able to put the rudder servos in the tail.

FWB
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
mj1121

Yeah, those holes were not supposed to go there. I cut the holes first and then with my 2 year old son tearing things up behind me, I epoxied the fuse sides to the motor box. Needless to say, I was distracted and concerned for the well being of the foam cores within his reach. I should have waited until his mother came home. It was easy enough to cut some plugs out of scrap 1/8 ang got it to the point were if you run your hand over it, you can't feel it. I am still thinking about a pull/pull on the rudder. I like the clean look and I have also been shaving some weight off the front, so I'm trying to keep some sort of balance ( keeping most components as close to the C.G as possible). I'm not going for a super light airframe, I just don't want to build a pig.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
sensei

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks like you are doing a very nice job on your build. Keep up the great work.

Bob
Old 09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
mj1121

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I have had alot of help.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 AM
mndbndr3d

Mike- that's nice! Your making really good progress...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
mj1121

I have started working ot the aileron servo placement. I will be using a Dremel with a adjustable depth gauge and a template out of 1/8 ply to cut the foam . I gave it a shot on a piece of scrap foam and it came out perfect. I was going to use the linkages with the kit but when I got a good look at them, I decided to use some H9 titanium linkages off an arf airframe I had in the shed and I am going to try and make my own control horns out of aluminum angle stock that I have in the garage ( I have all winter). I also thought about full length ailerons but decided agianst it. I will post some pics when I get the servo situation straightened out.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
mj1121

I finished the aileron servo cut outs, servo lead cut outs, and glued the wing tubes, their supports and the hardwood servo mounts. It took some time to mark the locations and get the depth of the cuts right. I ended up using a dremel with a circle cutting bit. Using the template I made, I made a shallow cut, removed the template and made the cuts to the final depth. I am going to use some construction paper and make templates to mark the servo bays so I can find them after the wings are sheeted. For the servo lead cuts, I traced a line between the servo bays to the wing root. I tool a razor saw and made a shallow cut along this line. I put a small barrel sander on the dremel and using the locking nut as a depth guide, I made a pass starting at the outer most servo bay. I then lowered the bit in the dremel and made one more pass. The cut I made with the razor saw acted as guide for the bit and made it easy to keep the cut straight. As for the wing tubes, I used the trick I saw online where you drill small holes along the wing tube cut line and pour glue into them as you push and twist the tube into the core. This worked really well. I hope to have the wings sheeted by mid week and I'll post pics when I'm done with this step.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 AM
mndbndr3d

Looks like your making really good progress. you'll be finish in no time! What color scheme do you have in mind?

As for my Carden 300, I had a chance to do the lightening holes on my Motor box. Dude! I removed tons of wood from the sucker. I'll post some pics once I get a chance to take them.

I'm off to Travel again for work, I'm hoping that I'll have some time to put it together next weekend.

Harold H.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
mj1121

Hi

I was hoping to be further along but overtime became unlimited at work so I'm trying to get as much as possible to fund this plane. I have finished sheeting the wings and cutting out the aileron servo bays. I had a couple tiny chips in the sheeting at the corners from being too rough with the bar sander but the touchups are drying at this moment. Over all, the wings came out great and seem solid as can be. I will cap the edges next and start the other sheeting soon. I will post some pics tomorrow of the progress. As far as a color scheme, I have looked a countless pics of edges and even other models to get an idea. I even started paying attention to race car paint jobs looking for ideas but I am stumped. I liked Blaine Austins scheme but I would like to keep it different. Thank God I have plenty of time to think about it.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
mndbndr3d

Color Scheme! I know what you mean when it comes to picking the scheme. I've decided many times on the colors, but somehow when I see another plane that catches my eye, I change colors again. Well, maybe when I get to finish framing my plane I would decide then.

Keeping the skin without any dents could be difficult, especially when your not too carefull. When I built my first Carden, I had several dents because of the plane being so big that I tend to bump into things in the garage. I've even had a mice MUNCH on my rudder once. It took about a square inch off my rudder fin. I just goop it with some filler, a little sanding and it was good as new.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 PM
mj1121

I know what your saying about dents and dings. Everytime I swing the wing around to work on it, I end up bumping something. I have a motorcycle, snowmobile, a 35% extra and all sorts of kids toys in the garage to bang into but no major damage yet. I had a 35% pitts fuse all framed up and ended up dropping a jack handle right thru the middle of it ( I may have cried but I try not to remember).
As far as the Edge, I just finished the root and tip caps out of 1/4" balsa. I still plan on sheeting all the other foam parts next to get that process out of the way. I was real happy with the way the Elmers Titebond held all the sheeting seams together and still sanded down nice and smooth. The Ultimate glue seems like the way to go for gluing the sheeting to the foam cores. I had no spots where the sheeting didn't stick to the core and I didn't go crazy as far as stacking tons of weight on the shucks. Here are some pics of one of the wings ( the other is at the same stage ).

Name:	Yw68243.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	770923  
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
mj1121

My connection stinks. At times I can only upload a single pic per post. Here's another.

Name:	Vs55583.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	770939  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.