Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Cuda motor box

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuda motor box

In 20 years of RC building, I have never done anything as challenging as building a Carden motor box. My results were disappointing and I need some feed back on how to proceed. The firewall, wing tube and back plat are all parallel. The box however is canted 3/32". Hopefully the pictures tell the story. Should I start over or make adjustments to get it all aligned when the sides are placed?

BTW...Carden won't have any parts for the Cuda for 6 months.

Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18642.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	798839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37500.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	798840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73772.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	798841  
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: Cuda motor box

ibow24 Built two Cuda's last year, but he's Deer Hunting out of state, might catch him mid week on-line. Another person to contact would be John at Areoprotect, he's also built a couple Cuda's. By looking at your pictures it's difficult for me to see the complete issue. I have the Cowl off one of mine if I can take any picutres for you?

regards, Ward
Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM
mndbndr3d
My Feedback: (12)

judging from the first picture, it seems that one side of your box is not squared with the rest? I'm building a Carden now (not cuda) and I just made sure all sides are squared. evething falls into place after that. I would suggest to check the box again to see if its squared and start from there.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
5150flyer

ORIGINAL: mndbndr3d

judging from the first picture, it seems that one side of your box is not squared with the rest? I'm building a Carden now (not cuda) and I just made sure all sides are squared. evething falls into place after that. I would suggest to check the box again to see if its squared and start from there.
You are right is isn't square. Off about 3/32" over the length of the motor box.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

I'm building one right now. Can you tell where you went wrong by placing the engine box over the plans ? I always dry fit all parts and tape them together first before gluing.

Albert
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
5150flyer

I used the jig system described by www.Aeroprotect.com building of a Cuda. In theory it should work fine, but in practice with all the clamps and the jig it is impossible to do any final measurements. My jig showed it perfect, but in fact it is off a bit.

I now need to decided to start the motor box over or build in a correction when connecting the motor box to the sides. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I think I'm having trouble fully understanding the problem. If all you've glued together so far is the firewall, the motorbox sides, and the back plate....and maybe the landing gear block....there's really not a lot keeping the motorbox sides parallel at this point. I would imagine the assembly is still very flexible at this point.

If the wing tube, back-plate and firewall are all parallel and perpendicular to the building surface, then you should still be able to pin each surface to its location on the plans and just flex the MB sides the little bit they need to go where they should. Once you glue on the bottom pieces of the motorbox, the assembly should stiffen right up. Once the wing tube is glued in, that will also stiffen and align the motorbox sides.

If I understand the problem correctly, then I don't think you need to build in any kind of correction at all at this point other than to make sure the motorbox lines up with the plans when you attach the fuse sides and glue on the bottom/top pieces of the MB.

....and Albert, a 50cc'er!? Is this gonna be your new IMAC bird?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sounds like he is saying the motor box is square front to back
but racked out of square left to right.

If that is the case I would think disassembly would be the olny
way to fix it.

Won't epoxy soften with heat? If you take your time and carefully
heat the joints the epoxy should let go right?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
5150flyer

Thanks to all, I was a bit puzzled, but the answer was to remove the landing gear plate and fuel tank plate – readjust to square – install landing gear plate. I forgot how flexible the basic motor box is and all I will have to do is make a new landing gear plate.

Hint for the newbie like me

Don't try and glue up the entire motor box at once. Do the basic box, stop and let it dry overnight. Adjust it to perfection, add the gear plate and maybe the fuel tank plate to lock in the alignment. Then you will have a nice square motor box.

I have been building for 20 years and this is the most challenging project. All the sheeted parts and beveling went very nicely so I am good to go.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:46 PM
as722

5150flyer,

Don't listen to jmiracle, he only knows how to buid arfs.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM
as722

ORIGINAL: jmiracle

I think I'm having trouble fully understanding the problem. If all you've glued together so far is the firewall, the motorbox sides, and the back plate....and maybe the landing gear block....there's really not a lot keeping the motorbox sides parallel at this point. I would imagine the assembly is still very flexible at this point.

If the wing tube, back-plate and firewall are all parallel and perpendicular to the building surface, then you should still be able to pin each surface to its location on the plans and just flex the MB sides the little bit they need to go where they should. Once you glue on the bottom pieces of the motorbox, the assembly should stiffen right up. Once the wing tube is glued in, that will also stiffen and align the motorbox sides.

If I understand the problem correctly, then I don't think you need to build in any kind of correction at all at this point other than to make sure the motorbox lines up with the plans when you attach the fuse sides and glue on the bottom/top pieces of the MB.

....and Albert, a 50cc'er!? Is this gonna be your new IMAC bird?

Gas is too expensive so I'm moving down in size. NOT!!!
I'm building it for my eigth year old son.

Albert
Old 11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: as722

Albert

...that reminds me of when my dad built me a model rocket when I was a kid...sure was cool to watch! funny thing though....i never did get to help build, set it up, OR push the launch button...

I'm curious....did your wife really believe that's why you're building another Carden.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM
as722

ORIGINAL: jmiracle

ORIGINAL: as722

Albert

...that reminds me of when my dad built me a model rocket when I was a kid...sure was cool to watch! funny thing though....i never did get to help build, set it up, OR push the launch button...

I'm curious....did your wife really believe that's why you're building another Carden.

Shhhhhh.