Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

35% Cap 232 3-D Setup

Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM
shall36
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Cap 232 3-D Setup

I just picked up a 35% Cap and I'm setting it up. I want to set it up for 3-D. The control surfaces are not double beveled and the max throw I can get on the ailerons is 30 degrees and I can get about 40 degrees on the elevator. Not sure about the rudder.

For those doing hard-core 3-D with your Caps, how did you set up your control surfaces? Should I even consider cutting into the stab to get more throw on the elevators? Do some builders choose to double-bevel?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
shall36
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 35% Cap 232 3-D Setup

***UPDATE***

Thought I would post an update on my original post. I spoke with Dennis the other day...wow, he spent 20+ minutes on the phone with me and I bought this plane 2nd hand! incredible customer service. Anyways, here's a synopsis of our conversation.

3D throws for this aircraft are reccomended as: Elevator: 45*, Rudder: 40*, Aileron: 35*. These numbers are boased on lots of experience in TOC competition and work well for this airframe.

CG set at front of wing tube to middle of wing tube. Adjust from there.

To get the throws I needed he recommended working the bevel on the moving surface on the elevator and rudder. The ailerons would probably need to have the TE of the wing beveled to get the desired travel.

Last night, I peeled off the covering on the top elevator halves and started sanding the bevels. The original builder build the plan with absolutely zero gap between TE of the horizontal stab and LE of the elevator. So, I trimmed the LE of the elevator portion to obtain about 1/16" gap, which will be sealed with covering. So far, I was able to get 45* of up elevator using these methods. Covering will be a bit tricky, but the option there was to drill out the Robart pin-point hinges to seperate the halves, which was the greater evil of my options.