Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Need help finishing my Cuda

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:34 PM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finishing my Cuda

My Cuda is built and I am pleased with the results. Now it is time to finish it and I need your input on a few items that just don't seem clear to me:

1) I will be using a DA50 w/ a pitts muffler. The standard way to set the right thrust is to custom make wedges out of hardwoord dowels. That method seems prone to future problems and inaccurate. Any suggestions on a better technique? Does someone make aluminum wedges?
2) Any suggestions on the best method to mount the cowel? I am assuming that I need to have the engine mounted before I do the cowel so the spinner lines up correctly?
3) I am interested in using Nelson water based paints, but my experience is limted to rattle cans. I have never painted an RC plane like this and I want a nice end result. I cannot find any thread really detailing the techniques you use to get those nice multi-color paint jobs.

Any comments and links will be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
ibow24
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Need help finishing my Cuda

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42..._3/key_/tm.htm

Cuda's I built. I used the wood dowel on the Cuda's. There are also some photos in this thread showing the cowl mounting. I had talked to Dennis way back when I built the 35% Extra about wood dowels. He said in the event of a prop strike the wooden dowel would be sacrificed to save engine and airframe from major damage. Would it? I don't know. The dowel shims did work out pretty nice on the Cuda's.
If you build per plans the cowl will line up pretty close. I had to sand a little off the back of the cowl to get the right clearance to the back of the spinner.

My paint jobs are next to crap so I can't help much. They look OK from 5 feet away but up close they don't pass the test...though each time it has gotten better.
I use the PPG Omni but would like to try water based latex next with a fuel proof clear on top. My dad is building a Bonanza that I am going to paint for him with latex....we'll see how it goes.

good luck with your Cuda.
Steve
Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

The dowls are fine and are cheap and work great I use them on the 40% planes. I use Klass Kote paint they have ready match to monoKote or Ultra Cote epoxy or urthane paint. You can shoot your colors one at a time then color sand them to blend the edges then clear coat the parts. An automotive trim paint gun works best for this type of work. If you have never shot this kind of paint get some help from a painter if you know one in your area. Call Kass kote and they can help you on the steps to spray there product. Nathan is a good guy and is full of help. Heres there link http://www.klasskote.com/paint_store.html
Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 PM
5150flyer

Thanks for your help, I am ready to finish this project. BTW ibow24...your paint work looks good to me. The Klass Kote video is perfect.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Panther45
My Feedback: (4)

I have done many Cudas and I agree the dowls are fine if they are set to the correct angle. It is easy to dial in up or down thrust and washers are needed to hold the angle over a long time. The other concept is to use a 1/4" ply and taper it on the belt sander to get the perfect angle. You can then cut out the center and the shim can be glued to the firewall to hold the position. This is no heavier than the first idea and since the shim is one piece it is easier to work with.

The cowl mount Dennis uses seems fine and I have a Cuda that is 5 seasons old and the cowl is still as it was the first flight. Understand that the cowl is long and it will move a little as you run the engine up and this is normal.

I have used the nelson system and it works great. Things to watch are - filter the paint before using viscosity is key and I adjust by spraying samples a large bore air brush works fine be sure to use a primer on his list as the paint will not like some of the primers the additive to make it flex is needed in all cases - sticks to fiberglass and ABS just fine.

My site shows some of these things in the build section www.dream-rc-airplanes.com
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
5150flyer

Panther45,

GREAT website and build section. Lot's of good information, I have already learned a lot. I plan to carefully read all your finishing steps.

One question I was planning to use a Slimline pitts muffer. Do you think that is a mistake? Will it be significantly louder than your canister?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Panther45
My Feedback: (4)

Hi

The canister is quieter adds about 150 rpm on the top end saves a lot of cutting on the cowl so the plane looks lots better. On the minus side the canister weighs more- costs more requires more bulding to put in.

This is one of those areas where reasonable people could come to different conclusions. The one I fly has a canister and will do more than I can do and I have done some with the pitts or the stock mufler and they are fine too.