Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

35% Carden Cap Landing Characteristics !?!?

Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

35% Carden Cap Landing Characteristics !?!?

Old 07-26-2003, 08:14 PM
klbass
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Carden Cap Landing Characteristics !?!?

Burner, I had the same balloning problem with my H-9 Cap. Its the nature of all Caps. Its taken me a year to really nail the landings on this plane. I still manage to go-around about 1 to every three landing attempts. I have found that flying final approach with a little power and slight down elevator pressure helps. I am usually hot on landing but it definately helps. Shoot to set a landing attitude with a lttile bit of power while coming down final approach at about 15-20 feet and 50 yards from touchdown. To do this, back off power a click or two at a time as you are coming down final. You'll find that the Cap will "settle" into its landing attitude. Now ,once you are in the landing attitude HOLD that power setting until you are a foot off the ground. Dont let it get to slow on you. Now ever so slowly come back to idle. TRY NOT TO FLARE or slam the power to idle. She will ballon every time! Try this technique with your Carden. It has helped with my H-9 100%. Now I land three point everytime.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:01 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Klbass:
Your plane would land a whole lot better if you added some nose weight. I've got 350+ flights on a H9 Cap......mine doesn't do what you describe.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Tapio

Well while we're on the subject of landings I'll add some more. I am flying a 35% Edge and noticed that the best landings were accomplished with the least elevator imput. I remembered reading in MAN about a Bearcat test where the fellow said to trim for landings just like the real planes. With flight modes on radio's this is a piece of cake, just mix in a little elevator trim at a time until she switches over to autoland
Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 PM
bralex
My Feedback: (1)

Default Cap Landings

I found that the rate of decent on final was a critical issue with my H9 cap. The CG was neutral to slightly tail heavy. I would make sure that the base wasn't to far from the field and would keep 4-5 clicks of throttle on until over the field. The entire time to this point, the glide slope was nose down. Once over the field, throttle management and release of forward stick would allow the Cap to settle in for a nice landing.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:59 AM
klbass
My Feedback: (7)

Diablo, yes you are right it will land much better with more nose weight. I fly the Cap with a aft CG. I am just offering up what works for my plane. However, even when I flew the Cap with a forward CG the plane still had the tendency to balloon fairly easily.