Notices
Cars & Trucks - Full Scale Discuss full scale cars & trucks here

2000 Olds Alero help-anyone?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
MNFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Olds Alero help-anyone?

Hi everyone I bought a 2000 Olds Alero with the 2.4L Engine with 100k on it. However lately, mainly starting yesterday, it runs great, but when it idles, it jumps between 500-800rpm, and then stalls and dies. I can start it up and it runs just fine while I am up around you know 55-75mph, depending on the road, but then it does it again later when it idles, never when it is cruising around, just when it stops. Any ideas?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
burnsy86

Default RE: 2000 Olds Alero help-anyone?

i think the problem is that its not a chevy... no im just kidding, i have no idea
Old 10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
bookey05
My Feedback: (18)

check your tps it control your idle could have loose connection or bad voltage hope this help let me know
how it turn out
Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

if it's a fast surge in the idle, I'd first blame a vacuum leak. spray some carb cleaner or something similar around all the vacuum lines while it's idling. if it shoots up sky high, then bam, you found the hole, and you replace that length of vac line or fitting.

If the idle surge is slow, the first thing I'd blame is the IAC (idle air control)

burnsy...funny that you mention that, because the exact same engine came in Cavaliers and Malibus