RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Cars & Trucks - Full Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cars-trucks-full-scale-254/)
-   -   edelbrook 600 bog (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cars-trucks-full-scale-254/10580143-edelbrook-600-bog.html)

WhiteRook 06-18-2011 05:20 AM

edelbrook 600 bog

i got this carb on a 440 , with 355 gears , why is it boging on hard acceleration? could it be the accelerater pump?

carb is almost new

la.rc.doc 06-18-2011 12:40 PM

RE: edelbrook 600 bog

Yes sir, if the car has been sitting for a while with no fuel being run threw the carb once in awhile, the acclerator pump drys up! If you have to keep pumping the gas to get it to run or move it the pump, now it is manual fuel pump right? in other words you don't have a helper fuel pump on it do you? anything under a the month of AUG. in 1985 should be manual fuel pump. the acclerrator pumps are easy to change, make sure to change the fuel filter as well make sure the fuel lines are not cracked and sucking air, but if you have never change a pump before I would let someone who has to it! It would not hurt to clean out the carb while the top plate it off! If you have anymore question feel free to ask I have been a mechanic for 30 years, and certified for 20yrs!

la.rc.doc 06-18-2011 12:43 PM

P.S. If it hasn't been sitting you may need to raise the level of the float, it may be thristing for fuel and not getting a enough fuel when you get into it!

WhiteRook 06-19-2011 05:17 AM

there are 2 or 3 holes in the pump lever, i think the link arm is in the center hole, also one thing is that on initial start up. when i mash the throttle to engage the choke , i dont seem to be getting a good pump squirt.

Tripower455 06-20-2011 10:01 AM

If you're not getting a pump shot with minimal deflection, your pump is probably dried out or cracked. Also, if it's an older one, it might not be impervious to the ethanol in the fuel, causing it (and other stuff in your fuel system!) to deteriorate.

Is it the Quadrajet replacement, or the Carter type?

WhiteRook 06-20-2011 03:31 PM

its the carter type .

la.rc.doc 06-20-2011 04:01 PM

Well Whiterock those holes are adjustments the top one is for a deeper plunish, and the second is for a little less plunish, so yes the lower holes are for less squirt, is your choke electric or thermal, (has a thermal spring down in the intake with a little cover over it with a linkage arm going up to the butterfly flap)?

WhiteRook 06-20-2011 08:55 PM

no its got the dang electric choke

la.rc.doc 06-21-2011 11:09 AM

It should be adjustable, it should have 3 screws that hold a ring agaisnt it to hold it tight, loosen them and move it counter clock wise a little until you see the butterfly slap move down ward to choke it a little more, but don't close it all the way leave it about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch open.

WhiteRook 11-21-2012 04:17 PM

one thing i did not do , is BEND THE CHOKE ROD , like it says to in the manual , so when you engage the choke
it opens only about 3/16ths . it was closing all the way. before

on pipe 01-13-2014 09:16 AM

If you're still having a hesitation what you need to do is go richer on the primary jets/metering rods. One step rich of lean stumble will make that thing light up!
ross