Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

My .28 CEN is still one of my favourite RC's and still gets used more often than any of the others. It's wicked fast and I haven't broken any parts in forever.

Thanks to all of you guys for doing the hard work and research for me to copy

My 4wd Maxx Gasser is my fav.

No prob on the research... it was fun ride.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
firestone

hi poor judgement
ive got one of these engines in my gsr 5.0 3.6hp pulling wheelies 1/4 throttle
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM
poor judgement

Good evening. Any of the old lot still alive in here?

I dug out my .30 beasty the other day in the garage and remembered stuff. I might even try the pull start in the spring.

Been busy with the 1:1s here. CRX has been seeing some track use, culminating in a fast spin off the other weekend which it didnt like but its ok. S800 is on the road but living back at the parents. Its not very fast and it doesnt stop well, but by god, the noise it makes is something else. Ferrari - eat your heart out, it really is that good.

Azzman is drifting kids trikes about the streets... really, he is. Whats everyone else up to?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Aye aye stranger, long time no see!! I still pop in from time to time but not doing much racing at the minute. Raced 1:10 electrics for a few years and did ok but switched to micros for a while. Now not doing owt. Have been thinking about resurrecting the FF though, hence the visit here. I was torn between a Savage, a 1:8 buggy and the FF but cost dictates that the FF will be the winner.
Big change for me was the birth of my daughter (three yrs ago!!) and a couple of (enforced) job changes. Been tinkering with the 1:1's aswell, got an old Toyota import that I am slowly getting back to 100%.
I know your post was from a while back but I hope to catch up with you soon mate, get some enthusiasm back into the CEN forum!!
Laters, jon.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no Cen for me anymore.. sold mine ages ago, just kept the name.. Been heavily into electrics for the past couple of years and more and more into touring cars and brushless motorcycles.. Still have a few nitro's and probably always will, but electrics are so much faster.. As for 1:1 cars.. I sell them, Hondas, so with dealing with cars all day I don't care to play with them after work.. Although I used to race. Looks like the rest of you are still around which is great to see... I miss this site.. spent alot of time here.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CEN is releasing alot of electrics this this summer so dont count them out if your moving to electrics!!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Scouser

ORIGINAL: cenracer1

Looks like the rest of you are still around which is great to see... I miss this site.. spent alot of time here.
I miss the old days too. Was great fun back then and CEN were actually supported in the UK by a proper distributor (even if they were a bit rubbish). Still got the FF but just getting back into 1:10 electric off road for the summer. It will be Associated though, not CEN that I will be racing.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
cenracer1

HPI and Traxxas have my money right now.. I still have a CEN CT5 touring car, but its just a shelf queen these days. I've been doing alot of touring cars and Brushless Motocycles as of late which I know are big on your side of the pond.. Not a big thing on the east coast of the USA, but I still like to run them.. For my off road thrills, Its Slashes, Tmaxx and Rustlers.. As well as my Baja 1/5th gasser.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Scouser

Funny you should mention the bikes as the main man at one of the local shops is a guy called Steve Newey and he is a former British Champ and representative of the UK team at the Euros or World's (can't remember which). He was also on the committee for the governing body of the r/c bikes and made a brand of wheels for them called 'sneweys'. I liked the look of them but the buggy's just took over and I haven't looked back. Putting another B4 together right now.
I do love the Traxxas Slash, especially the new ones with the low c of g chassis and if funds allow I will certainly add one to the collection. They are quite a rare sight on the tracks over here, mainly AE, Losi, Durango, XFactory etc. makes me want one even more!!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
cenracer1

Scouser.. I currently have 3 slashes and funny enough I really don't like the truck or the class that it runs in but since everyone runs them, what choice do I have. mine are heavily overpowered with 4 pole castle motors and brushless power, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't run stock..LOL I will tell you one thing. Get a Slash then bash everyone off the track with it.. Its one of the toughest trucks I've ever run. You really can't break it... Add a few RPM parts and its unstoppable.. My real love is Touring cars and Motorcycles.. of course monster trucks as well...
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 AM
Scouser

I remember the promo vids when the Slash was first released. It was getting the hell beaten out of it at a skatepark. A few weeks later one turned up at the track to race with the trucks and had too high a c of g and fell over at every corner. For some reason Traxxas are really expensive in the UK. The new 4 wheel drive version is being sold with batteries and all the other bits is £520 which is about $800. When you add on the RPM stuff (which looks fantastic) you are nearer the $900 mark!! It's a bit much for something you could race 6 times a year at the club I race at.
I did race the 1:14 scale touring cars for a while and found it really relaxing. It's nice not to have jumps in the way of your perfect line!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
cenracer1

You find racing touring cars relaxing? You are crazy!!! Slashes are very popular here and are pretty inexpensive.. nothing close to what you mentioned.. They can be made very race worthy with a few simple mods and tweaks.. but they are not touring cars.. If it weren't for the fact nobody wants to run anything but them, I wouldn't own one..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM
Scouser

Ha ha, maybe 'relaxing' wasn't the right word! What I mean is that it is easier to get into a rhythm that would otherwise have been interrupted by jumps and bumps.
Personally I loved it but after all these years racing at the track I have made some good friends and they all hate TC's (they are referred to as 'boring' cars) so I would be on my own!! []
What touring car are you running? I now those things can get very expensive.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
cenracer1

I have an Associated T6 for whatever racing I can find but the bulk of my cars are HPI.. I specifically love the older RS4 electrics as well as the Sprint 2's.. The Associated can get expensive but the HPI's are actually pretty cheap to buy and run. You can find the RS4's on ebay for cheap but spare parts are harder to find for a 10+ year old car. The Sprint 2's are everywhere. I run the HPI's on saturday nights at my local race track and its more of a smashup derby than a race but its all for fun anyway.. The T6 is strictly a racer and too fragile for bashing around with. I run all my touring cars as brushless high KV motors on lipo and see speeds around 55-60mph.. They are fast!!! for my real speed I keep around a Traxxas nitro 4tec 3.3.. Doesn't handle as well as the other TC's but its a 70+ mph car all day.. Did you ever get any cars or just run other guys touring cars?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Scouser

Sorry for the late reply!!

The club I used to run at started racing 1/18 and 1/16 off road micros and I raced the Tamiyas in this class. They then started a Carisma 1/14 class which were on-road. I got one as they were dirt cheap and it was a spec class so very level palying field and low running costs. I loved it. Really close racing, line and corner speed, rhythm. All a very welcome change from the off road scene.
If there was a touring car club anywhere close to me I would be there in a shot, really did like the change of style. If I did get a 1/10 TC I would end up with a Tamiya as I am a sucker for them!!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
cenracer1

Got my girls a couple of TT01E's for christmas for them to run while I play with mine. Nice little cars, cheap to purchase and pretty sturdy thankfully due to their slower speeds in stock trim. I thought about doing a brushless conversionf for them, but the girls like to run the cars in the low 20MPH range and thats fine and cheaper for me. I just finished a spec motor class car for my saturday racing league. running a brushless spec motor 17.5 in another RS4 Pro.. trying to get the speeds down so the damage is minimized as some of us..(NOT ME) are complaining that its too difficult to drive at high speeds and maintain control. Surprisingly its not the older guys.. LOL To be fair, its usually turns into a blood bath for the cars.. Running 60mph pitch black at night with only LED lighting is a challange.. But very addictive..
Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Scouser

After posting yesterday I have started looking for local TC clubs!! I really do miss it but the old place runs on Friday nights which tends to be when I work late so I will have to find alternatives. What have you started?!!!

I did notice the HPI Sprint 2 is a decent price.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 AM
cenracer1

I didn't start this.. It was always in your blood. I started this hobby back in the 80's with crappy electrics from tamiya and thankfully a Kyosho Burns buggy.. that was fun!!! I fell into touring cars when I got invited to one of the races a few years ago..I was hooked after that. We tend to run the older cars because they are cheaper to obtain and parts are still available on ebay etc. As for the Sprint2.. alot of the guys have switched to them. they are not too expensive, parts are plentiful and cheap and they handle reasonably well. You won't be as competitive as some of the Associated cars, but its much more durable and just as fast. If you are really serious, get a purpose built car. If its friendly (like what I do) enjoy the Sprint 2.. That car is based off the RS4 anyway and some of the parts are interchangeable. One thing I really like about the races I go to is nobody cares who wins, most of the races start off ok, but major crashing at the first turn. remember its dark out and all the cars look the same with the lights. Nobody complains about accidents and parts breakage.. We just go inside and grab a box of community parts and fix the cars.. 30 minutes later we are out again trashing the cars again. It doesn't hurt that the track is down the road from my home. less than a quarter mile.. And the food is good too..LOL
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Scouser

Wish we had something like that here. The old Friday night races were fantastic. Great spirit to the club with no real cares about finals placing, all just about fun. The off-road club I race at is a really well established and well respected place but can be a bit stuffy sometimes. I have some really good friends there so we always have a laugh but there is an element of snobishness with some members who feel they are a bit above the rest. The track hosts national events and has to be seen to be keeping high standards which can get in the way of the fun from time to time. I sound like I am moaning but I do still love it and will be racing the B4 this Sunday.
Still searching the TC clubs though!!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 AM
cenracer1

Definately not snobby where I race.. Same group of guys and girls..We don't keep score unless you count who took out who's car on any given crash. Its so much fun that our wives, kids and even girlfriends come to hang out and occasionally run a car or two. The (owner) of the track has so many vehicles that he will lend out a car or 5 if someone needs one to run. Only rule is no complaining and you cannot be mad if your car gets trashed.. Unwritten rule is to High Five the person who took you out. Its not for the faint of heart...LOL We have gone so far as to name the types of crashes that we inflict. Most cannot be named here on the family forum but they are funny.. All the regular cars have names as well.. Or at least the bodies do.. Right now we are still running Slashes and Rally cars because the track hasn't been prepped after the winter. Dust and dirt.. when that finally happens the touring cars or as we call them Puddle Jumpers will be out in force.. We run 3 classes.. stock class 17 to 20 turn brushed in Tamiya TT01 only.. Modified 17 turn brushless and lipo (RS4's and the like ) and the top class Unlimited or as the owner likes to call it Stupid Fast Class.. 5700-7700kv 3S lipo's on whatever chassis will fit under a 190mm body.. Mine is one of the fastest mostly because I don't care what happens to the car and I drive it on the edge.. I love running foams where most run rubber tires.. Foams are great as long as the track is clean.. Otherwise its a drift machine.. 3S will put these cars easily into the mid 80's.. remember.. there are no light... Crazy huh?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Scouser

Wow, a million miles away from all the rules and regulations over here!! Closest we got to that was the truck class from a few years ago where everyone racing them was there just for the laugh. Annoyed the establishment no end but for those taking part it was the best. Trying to run each other off the track, not caring if you were first or last, great banter on the rostrum, great days racing. There is a rumour that the truck class will be returning this year but I will believe it when I see it. Almost makes me want to start an informal meeting mid week for like-minded souls who just want to thrash their cars around.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
cenracer1

You should try and start an informal group. thats what started this club. most of the members are all friends anyway which helps and everyone is welcome to join. No fee, just show up and bring a sense of humor. Newbies gete abused in the beginning and for some it never goes away. We ran again this saturday night and I brought out a couple of the touring cars. The insane RS4 and the modified 17T.. the track wasn't prepped and it showed. Understand the track is a dark street with Belgian Block Curbing and sewer drains in the dark.. ran the slower car first and honestly was quite boored with the speed. Only hitting mid 40's.. LOL eventually brought out the big insane class and it was all hell broke loose. Too much dust and gravel and we were bouncing off the curbing, launching the cars 40 feet off the road onto neighbors lawns etc.. Great fun!!!! surprisingly the only casualties where a couple of broken arms, One shattered chassis (sorry Tim) and a blown diff and bulkhead. I didn't break anything and have since been accused of not trying hard enough.. LOL Maybe I will try harder next week. Scouser.. You can run these cars just about anywhere.. We used to run in a large prepped parking lot, but found its more fun to run at this location.. Bathrooms, food and tv are always available. Besides if my daughters get boored, they just turn on the computer and play realflight (flight simulator) They are becomming quite good at flying and will soon be allowed to use my planes..
No Rules, No regulations.. Just fun.. I used to run at a couple of outdoor dirt tracks and one paved track that were so hung up on rules that it took away from the fun of this hobby.. I will continue to do this as long as its fun... everyone has enough stress in their lives without turning a fun thing into a headache..
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Scouser

Well I have ditched the idea of racing again, at least racing 1:10 anyway. I am getting a few Tamiya re-release kits and bashing them round the garden and the beach with my little girl who is starting to take an interest. Cheaper, more fun and time with the family means win win for me!! The only time it will get anything like competitive is when a few mates who have Tamiya re-re's join me for a beach bashing session.
If I do any racing again it will be the smaller scale cars on the rare occasion I don't work late.

You never know, the Tamiyas on the beach might turn into something as there are loads of old time Tamiya nuts over here. Maybe that will be our equivalent of your bash nights.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 AM
cenracer1

Sounds like a great idea. We don't have any large beaches near us so that idea won't work.. It doesn't really matter what you race as long as its fun. My kids are involved as well so quality family time is guaranteed. We did think about some other classes of vehicles to run just to change things up, but they were quickly shot down by the group. One was airplanes.. sounded great in theory but if you saw what we do, the safety of the neighborhood couldn't be guaranteed. combat planes in the dark over houses.. just a bad idea.. Next up was boats.. Sounded good until we remembered last summer when two r/c boats were sunk with all hands on board.. funny as heck to watch, but not so funny when you realized there was no way to get the boats back.. 50 feet deep about 300 feet out.. still not sure how the duck escaped unharmed.. My friend wasn't trying to hit it. So we decided to stick to cars and trucks.
We have narrowed the classes down to two again.. Modified and stupid fast.. The stock Tamiya class was putting everyone to sleep. My girls run theirs by themselves for about 30 minutes and that keeps them and any newcomers happy.. Let me know how your beach class goes. Cen
Old 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM
Scouser

Wait..what? A new post in this old thread? That must mean that something has emerged from a dusty old Irvine Racing bag.
As I type this, all of my rc’s are for sale. All except one. There was absolutely no way the CEN was getting sold. Even after all these years, I still love this thing.
I have just stripped it down to the last nut and bolt and cleaned and degreased everything. Whilst doing this I had the (bad?) idea of converting it to electric. I still have the nt.16 motor but I really fancy trouble free quiet running brushless.
I have no idea how I will do this yet but where there’s a will and all that.
I any of the old crew drop in, I hope you are well and I will post up the progress or lack of, for the world to laugh at.
The following users liked this post:
normanski (09-24-2021)