Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Genesis LE breakin carb settings

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Genesis LE breakin carb settings

Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 AM
dfn_doe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis LE breakin carb settings

I finally couldn't resist any longer so I bought a Genesis LE from my LHS yesterday afternoon. The breakin proccess has been quite frustrating so far. It is very hard to get the engine going since the compression is hard to over come it requires loosening the glow plug. Also it would have been nice if CEN included an inline or intank fuel primer since the aforementioned compression difficult means it's seriously hard to prime the thing by plugging the stinger. Once I got it fired up finally it wouldn't hold an idle for more than a few seconds, I got to fiddling with the carb settings to see if I could get it to do any better and it eventually held an idle long enough to get up to temperature but the engine began idling more quickly and the manual's inconsistant naming of the 3 different carb adjustment screws got me in a bind and I accidentally adjusted the incorrect screws... Well I shut it off, returned the piston to BDC, and called it a night.

Anybody know what the "factory breaking settings" for the carb are? The manual says that ti comes preset from the factory to the necessary breaking settings, but then neglects to mention what those settigns are. I'd like to get this thing broken in today so all the neighbors that were gawking at me fiddling with it on the porch yesterday can satisfy their curiosity and see me wheel this thing down the street.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I tried calling CEN directly and their answering machine kindly informed me that their business hours are from 9-5 and that they are currently closed... Funny, because I called at 9:30PST
Old 10-29-2005, 02:46 PM
JPKII

Default RE: Genesis LE breakin carb settings

My exact same nightmare. My hand is so blistered from pulling on the cord it's not even funny. Anybody that has the mysterious "break-in settings" please chime in. My knees, back, and hands can't take much more of this. Maybe someone could also clarify the post break in settings. Main needle 3 1/2 turns out, out from what?? Bottom Needle (making an assumption that this is the low speed needle) 2 1/2 turns in from flush, flush to what? And if we're talking about it being flush with the piece that hooks to the linkage, that piece is removable/adjustable. How do you reference that piece so you can correctly reference the needle?

I can get mine to run for a few seconds then the idle sounds like it starts to go up, then the truck starts to lurch forward (with me holding onto the truck so it doesn't take off) and then dies. My LSN was set almost 3 full turns OUT from the assumed flush

Anybody else’s carb stick?

I've basically given up for the day.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:03 PM
dfn_doe

ORIGINAL: JPKII

My exact same nightmare. My hand is so blistered from pulling on the cord it's not even funny. Anybody that has the mysterious "break-in settings" please chime in. My knees, back, and hands can't take much more of this. Maybe someone could also clarify the post break in settings. Main needle 3 1/2 turns out, out from what?? Bottom Needle (making an assumption that this is the low speed needle) 2 1/2 turns in from flush, flush to what? And if we're talking about it being flush with the piece that hooks to the linkage, that piece is removable/adjustable. How do you reference that piece so you can correctly reference the needle?

I can get mine to run for a few seconds then the idle sounds like it starts to go up, then the truck starts to lurch forward (with me holding onto the truck so it doesn't take off) and then dies. My LSN was set almost 3 full turns OUT from the assumed flush

Anybody else’s carb stick?

I've basically given up for the day.
I called CEN, emailed CEN, and asked Andy from their racing team. I don't remeber who gave what setup, but two of them said the breakin setting were the same as the "post breakin" settings in the manual and one of them said 4 turns out on the high needle instead of 3.5...

So I've had some luck with low needle flush with edge of the throttle bit it sticks out from confirmed flush by putting a straight edge across the screw head and checking forcontact at both sides of the hole as well as the middle of the screw. The high needle I have 4 turns out, although it'll run fine with 3.5 turns out. And the idle screw is set so that when the carb is closed the throttle is open about the width of penny at the widest point.

The manual suggests leaning out the high end by up to a 1/4 turn per idled tank which if you work backwards from the printed "after breakin" settings would seem to suggest a breakin setting on the high needle of 4.25 turns out.

The other problem I'm having is that the throttle servo doesn't seem to center itself properly. Leaving the idle high if I drop to neutral throttle from WOT and leaving it low if I drop to neutral from full brakes.. I think a throttle return spring and some linkage adjustment will resolve this issue though.

When starting I find it fires up more easily if I trim the throttle up a click or two while cranking and then setting it back down after it's idled for a few seconds.

I'm not sure where I am in the breakin because I had so many idle/stall hot/cool cycles so far trying to get thing running right, but ti seems like it's getting a bit easier to get it started now which I think is a good sign. I'll probably idle through 1 more tank today and then start with a series of part throttle drives as the manual suggests. I'm going to declare it broken in on Monday and then post my impressions on the truck after I give it a fair chance at performin. I suspect that the steering servo that CEN has supplied is really too weak for the steering though and I'd be curious to hear what the cen racers use for servos in their trucks. Even with a fully charged 5 cell hump pack the servo seems to struggle with turning the wheels and certainly doesn't do anything quickly. I'll likely upgrade to 200+ oz/in airtronics or hi-tec for the steering and if the throttle return spring doesn't fix the centering issue with the throttle/brake servo I'll probably replace that servo with something else as well...
Old 10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
JPKII

Thanks for the info. That clears a few things up for me. What about the main needle though? 4 turns out from what? Is there a stop somewhere in its travel that I turn it in until and then 4 turns out from it or what?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10-29-2005, 03:41 PM
dfn_doe

turn it in until it stops. Don't crank it tight or anything just until you feel it hit the bottom... the turn it out from there...
Old 10-29-2005, 04:46 PM
supergenesis
My Feedback: (1)

i actually did mine, ( my second genesis) with the roto start installed, now i know your not suppose to but being very carefull and cracking loose the glow plug it can be done, it actually was quite easy, but as far as breakin in my second genesis after goin through the nightmares of the first, i put mine up on my stand in the garage so the wheels arent touching and idled that way, and i actually can say this time around the engine started every time with no problem and stayed runnin, with the carb settings how them came out of the box, the first 3 tanks i ran staright through without shuttin off, the whole time i had my fan blowing right on the truck to keep it cool, then i let cool down and ran the other 4 tanks all at once and im now almost through a whole gallon of fuel with it and ive had no problems with this engine yet!!, starts right up and runs good! as far as settings go they should be were you want them out of the box for break in the only thing you will have to adjust is the idle and thats only after like 2-3 tanks it will start to get kinda high. your high and low needle should both be flush pretty much for break in, then after 7 tanks the next 2 you can start to drive gently, each tank leaning out 1/4 on the the high needle, then by about your 9th tank or so you can pretty much go all out and tune and run! ive found that if you follow cen's instructions to the "T" u shouldnt have any issues but if you are impatient and try hurryin up and getting through the breakin as fast as possible thats when issues happen (my first gen) lol!, good luck!

genesis for sale!!

by the way any one lookin for a used genesis? i am sellin my one to get a 1/5th scale buggy, i have many accesiores even a spare engine, email me if intersted, its also in the classifieds section.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:13 PM
dfn_doe

Figured out two problems today, much progress has been made and the truck is running like %1000 better. First issue was the fuel servo not centering properly and have some glitchiness, I removed the factory failsafe and this problem went completely away. My LHS gave me a choice between sending the CEN one in for waranty replacement or giving me another brand failsafe at 50% off which was below his cost. So I went with another brand failsafe that he recomended. Everything works smoothly now and the new failsafe seems to react more quickly too when I turn of my transmitter. Perhaps the first one had a cold solder joint or something inside...

Secondly, my difficulty setting the carb to get through the breakin period was continuing even with the settings provided I wasn't able to get through a tank without the temps going up signifigantly require a shutdown or the idle getting eracting and the engine dying. On a hunch I removed the nipple from the exhaust where the pressure line attaches and found a big glob of thread sealant had blocked the bottom of the nipple off. The truck primes with 1/2 pull now and runs flawlessly with the settings CEN provided. I ran a few heat cycles on the engine and let it idle through a tank and everything seems to be working well now Hopefully the transient lean codition the lack of fuel pressure was causing didn't do any major damage, I watched the temps pretty closely and didn't let the engine get to hot before shutting it down and moving the piston to BDC while I let it cool back down to ambient. I'm thinking maybe another idle tank and then start low speed runs...

Also I ran into another Genesis owner at the LHS today, actually he has two genesis (genesi?) a first generation and an LE. He was pretty interesting to talk to and seemed to really like his trucks which is good to hear seeing as how I've yet to actually get to drive mine.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 PM
crv
My Feedback: (1)

I've a question here. If I may...finally my pull starter took a "Dump"!!! ok, I was prepared for I had already purchased a roto start, forseeing the
awaited demise of the pull start. Pulled my engine out, removed pull start, cleaned everything up, lightly greased the one-way bearing. Now
in my opinion gears should be lubricated. (friction=heat, heat=damage), Anyway does one grease the two gears that are inside the gear housing that compose the starter unit?????????
Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 AM
JPKII

ORIGINAL: dfn_doe

Secondly, my difficulty setting the carb to get through the breakin period was continuing even with the settings provided I wasn't able to get through a tank without the temps going up signifigantly require a shutdown or the idle getting eracting and the engine dying. On a hunch I removed the nipple from the exhaust where the pressure line attaches and found a big glob of thread sealant had blocked the bottom of the nipple off. The truck primes with 1/2 pull now and runs flawlessly with the settings CEN provided.
Wow, that's very interesting. I could never prime my truck as described in the manual. I would cover the stinger and pull and pull and pull and I would never see any fuel moving thru the lines. I would always fill the gas tank to the very top then open and close the cover to force fuel up to the carb. Man I can't wait to get home later this week to check this out!!

I tried the carb settings you had given me and the truck actually starts much more consistently and runs a little longer but it still dies about 15 seconds into the run.

Joe
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 AM
JPKII

Well, guess what? I get home from being out for about a week and pull the nipple out of the exhaust. It's completely blocked with some thread sealer or something. I have a picture I will post up tonight. It was too late last night to fire the truck up but I did try to prime it and with less than 3/4 pull I had fuel up to the carb. I know the beast will run tonight so I can finally start my break-in. Thanks dfn_doe for the hot tip. I wonder how many other people have struggled thru this!!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 AM
dfn_doe

ORIGINAL: JPKII

Well, guess what? I get home from being out for about a week and pull the nipple out of the exhaust. It's completely blocked with some thread sealer or something. I have a picture I will post up tonight. It was too late last night to fire the truck up but I did try to prime it and with less than 3/4 pull I had fuel up to the carb. I know the beast will run tonight so I can finally start my break-in. Thanks dfn_doe for the hot tip. I wonder how many other people have struggled thru this!!
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that my info was helpful. My truck was out and running like a scalded cat at the local park. Man this thing is fast for how big it is. Anyhow I did huge cartwheel after a 1 wheel landing from 3-4 feet and busted the steering linkage rod end, order a few from my LHS to keep as spares, might be a good investment for anyone looking to bash with this thing, at least until someone decides to make a set of aluminum/ti/steel rod ends.