Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

MTM Brake Retro-fit to a Geni LE UPDATE!!!!

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

MTM Brake Retro-fit to a Geni LE UPDATE!!!!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
AB!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MTM Brake Retro-fit to a Geni LE UPDATE!!!!

I contacted Cen about the two piece brake linkage as all the parts suppliers had the same part number and picture showing a single brake linkage for both the Genesis and Nemesis.
Cen replied that they have discontinued using the two piece brake linkage and now use the original Genesis single brake linkage in the Nemesis.

I have now fitted the MTM kit to my Genesis and the difference that it has made is incredible.
With the original brakes, you would apply full brake and the truck would take a while to pull up.
With the MTM brakes you can choose how fast you want the truck to stop, from a gentle slow down to full brake at speed causing the rear wheels to lift off the ground when the wheels lock up.
I would recommend this mod to any Genesis owner, you will not be disappointed with this upgrade.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Scott_GTR

AB,

How did you do this upgrade?? Did you just remove the pads from your Genesis's breaks??

I bought a set of Nemesis breaks for my Genesis, but found the mountings on my gearbox different to the Nemesis, so I could not fit them.
I have toyed with buying a cheap nemesis g/box off of Ebay and fit my 3spd and reverse into it to get the best of both worlds, and then sell on a 2sp Genesis g/box to get some money back.

So how did you go about it???
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
michelob78

Cen has a kit (GSS11) to get you up to MTM specs, good price too. Only thing you need other than the kit is a nemesis linkage assembly. I got the linkage on ebay pulled from a nemmy kit.

[link]http://www.customrccars.com/product_temp_trial.asp?id=1852&cat=21&custom=0[/link]
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

anyone have a picof that kit? I bought a metal brake set off ebay that was ripped off a nemesis, but I see no that the nemesis brakes mount differently.
Does this kit include a bracket or something to mount the nemesis brakes on the Gen tranny?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Genesis_twin

Not a bracket but the tranny case itself is different. You will need the Nemesis tranny case and if you are going to use the Genesis center differential you will also need 2 bushings that come with the kit because the Nemesis diff has larger bearings. You could get the Nemesis center diff and swap the reverse gear from yours. But then you would need the Nemesis front outdrive because it is different too. You probably would have been better off getting the kit.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Scott_GTR

Can you achive the same/close by just removing the pads from a standard Genny setup?
Old 07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Scott_GTR

Can you achive the same/close by just removing the pads from a standard Genny setup?
Thats what I did for now. The thing will endoif you give it full brakes. But I figure I may eventually want to just get a nem tranny and the real MTM brakes.

If I was to get teh Nemesis transmission with center diff and everything off ebay or something, Can I use parts from my genesis tranny to make the Nem one a 3 speed with Reverse?
Or is the 3 speed / reverse kit for the nemesis, use different parts than what are already in the Genesis?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Scott_GTR

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

ORIGINAL: Scott_GTR

Thats what I did for now. The thing will endoif you give it full brakes. But I figure I may eventually want to just get a nem tranny and the real MTM brakes.

If I was to get teh Nemesis transmission with center diff and everything off ebay or something, Can I use parts from my genesis tranny to make the Nem one a 3 speed with Reverse?
Or is the 3 speed / reverse kit for the nemesis, use different parts than what are already in the Genesis?

I was thinking of removing the pads one by one and see our they are.

Yes you can make a Nemisis tranmission case 3spd + R.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:12 AM
michelob78

The parts must work, since with the kit you take all the guts out of the genny tranny and put them in the nemmy case. I think you would still be cheaper to just buy the kit and be done with it.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Scott_GTR

Just rekindling this thread;

So just to clear this up, the GSS11 has everything I need to convert my Genesis to Nemesis MTM Breaks, (Tranny case, Nem breaks and pads etc etc)?????

So just 25 bucks and its all done?????

Also is it essentual to use the Nemesis linkage?
Looking at the diagram the Genesis's looks like it will do the job just as well or am I wrong?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:18 PM
michelob78

The kit has everything but the linkage, I made one then turned around and bought one anyway. Just because I like a factory look and not a hack job.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
efretwell

I bought the cen kit (gss11) and the correct linkage, and I have had it installed for about 6 months, I was impressed with it after I installed it, but I only managed one brakey (much to my disappointment). After 6 months the mtm system is out of adjustment, and I was wondering how exactly you make the brakes more agressive. I now you can adjust the servo linkage, and I have played with that, its set so the brakes don't drag, but the servo can still put full pressure on the brakes. I was just wondering if there are any other adjustments I can make to increase the strength of the brakes.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Genesis_twin

Default RE: MTM Brake Retro-fit to a Geni LE

ORIGINAL: Genesis_twin

Here is a link to my posting on a brake mod for the Genesis/Nemesis:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3579207/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3579207/tm.htm[/link]
Old 09-16-2006, 01:47 AM
efretwell

Default RE: MTM Brake Retro-fit to a Geni LE

Every body seems to be able to flip their trucks by hitting the brakes with the MTM brake system, mine wont even lock up the tires, so I think something might be out of adjustment, so I was wondering what other adjustments there where, other then the linkage.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Scott_GTR

ORIGINAL: Genesis_twin

...............if you are going to use the Genesis center differential you will also need 2 bushings that come with the kit because the Nemesis diff has larger bearings.....

Are these two larger alloy bushes available separately??
Anyone know the number??

I have bought a GS209 Nem trans housing and now find my Genny drive outputs are too small!!! [:@][:@]

I have waited two weeks for the bits now I find I still cant finish the job and I have my truck in hundreds of pieces!!![][]
Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Scott_GTR

Anyone?

Are these two larger alloy bushes available separately??
Anyone know the number??
Old 09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Genesis_twin

I would call CEN. Probably the only way to get them separately. When I got my kit I must have been the first because it was all messed up with missing parts and wrong quantities. I called CEN and Andrew sent out the missing parts. Unfortunately he only sent 1 bushing so I had to make one on my mini-lathe. I could make some more but I didn't keep the dimensions. I would need the O.D., I.D., thickness of the main part and thickness and O.D. and I.D. of the neck part. Mine are installed in my truck and it is a major pain to get the tranny out with all the custom stuff on it.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Scott_GTR

I wrote off to them, but they must have thought I was talking about the reverse mech, as when I looked up the numbers I was given they were in the forward/reverse gears selection mech. []

Here is what I asked:

Dear Cen,

I have owned my Genesis for 6 months now and LOVE IT!!!

I have never mastered setting up the breaks and so I decided to upgrade them to the Nemesis setup.

I then set about buying all the bits separately including a Nemesis Transmission case to fit them to, only to find out you do a complete upgrade kit.

Now I have all the bits, but when I go to fit them I find that the bearings on the transmission output are larger on the Nemesis than my Genny gears I am fitting.

Looking on the RC Universe Support Forum I find that the kit included two bushes to adapt the large output to take the smaller bearings.

Are these adapter bushes available separately?

If so could I get a set from you?

No one I have spoken to knows the part number of them.

Regards.

I didn't think it was misleading at all.

Can anyone else help???
Old 09-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Genesis_twin

I would just say, "Is there any way I can get the aluminum bushing supplied in the kit GSS11 separately?"
Old 09-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Scott_GTR

Ye, good idea. I'll ask them that, short and sweet.

Thanks.