Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

CEN GST 7.7 noob questions

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

CEN GST 7.7 noob questions

Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
SlayerZa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN GST 7.7 noob questions

Hi everyone,
I am getting a GST 7.7 over the weekend and as this is my first nitro truck ever I can't wait . In the meanwhile I have been browsing the forums and have gotton some good tips allready. However as the truck is a RTR I have compiled the following list of stuff to purchase and some stuff to do. As I don't want to bugger this up any tips or advise would be great.

To buy
<------>
Filter oil
After run oil
Locktite (blue or red?)
Failsafe
Reciever pack
Charger
Metric Hex drivers
Grease (mentioned in the manual but not what type)
CA glue
Spare glow plug?
Some fuel (20% Sidewinder is all that I can find)

Todo
<---->
Check all of the mechanics
Verify and or adjust the gear mesh
Verify and or locktite the motor mount screws and all other screws (as per manual)
Test all electronics
Break in the motor (using CEN break in instructions)

Sorry if this is a somewhat long post. But as a noob I suppose I'll be able to learn alot from you guys. The LHS is savage fans and as such don't give a rats **s.
Cheers
Slayer
Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 AM
burningpoo

Default RE: CEN GST 7.7 noob questions

Mine should be in on friday. If you read back alot of pages, you'll find almost everything you need

other things i'm looking into besides your list....

2 or 3 glow plugs....might get a bum one
shock oil/spair set
THINK it comes with a failsafe
low/med locktite
maybe servo or 2
better air filter....cheap part to save engin

dif oil is hard to say...think i'm going with a version of dogman's idea first....maybe only 300k/500k in the middle if i can get it. will lock if i can't. higher # oil in the back dif than the front to see if it helps power through turns

LOOK at the real dogman's post....guy know's his stuff....so do alot of other people in here. helped me alot
Old 05-22-2007, 12:03 PM
devo208

Evenly your going to want to buy a backplate and a roto start but not the roto starter but a good cordless drill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80760.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	689432  
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
s5lin

Hi All,

The list compiled by the people posting above is a very good one. It has most of the accesories that will get you started into Nitro RC.

For the GST 7.7

Glowplugs: Recommended plugs OS #8 or CEN #3,or #4.
Failsafe: GST comes with throttle return spring. Doesn't rely on battery voltage to return carb to closed. With a failsafe(electronic) there is still a minimum voltage it needs to operate (4 Volts). If your receiver pack drops below this voltage theres no power to return your servo to neutral let alone power the failsafe.

Blue loctite would be a great thing to have in your pit box. Anytime you have nitro car, threadlock is must!

The stock air filter is fine on the GST. Just be sure to replace the foam element when it gets really dirty. (Make sure the replacement foam is oiled too!)

A receiver pack is def a good upgrade. A 5 cell hump pack (3 cells on bottom 2 on top) would fit the battery box best. And then a charger for the RX pack.

20% sidewinder is good fuel. Though CEN recommends Byron's and that is my fuel of choice.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you do use after run oil, please make sure you spin the engine over a few times. Either by pulling the pull start a few cranks or by blipping the engine with the rotostart wand. The reason for this is that I have seen a few engines where the hobbyist just put a few drops of after run oil down the cylinder head and then they let the engine sit for a week and the oil gums up and the engine can't be cranked over until the gunk is removed from the piston sleeve with denatured alchohol.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:42 PM
SlayerZa

On the question of the failsafe, I know that the throttle return spring will be effective if the RX pack is run down. However I am more concerned with interference wreaking havoc on the entire system than a flat RX pack.

As I am paying a huge amount of cash for this truck a little extra expense like the electronic failsafe is a much more cost effective solution than a totaled truck. I know that the genesis came with a electronic failsafe but for some reason that has not been continued on the GST7.7, maybe the included failsafe was of poor quality?

I am looking at getting the failsafe and the RX pack from venom. Is this a good brand / manufacturer?

Thanks for all the help info thusfar.
Cheers
Slayer
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
MONAROMAN

Yeah to be honest if I got another failsafe I would get the venom one with inbuilt temp sensor, I think you can get 2, 1 does just max temp, the other displays real time temp and logs max temp, saves keeping my raytek handy. Only I haven't heard either good nor bad about them so I wouldn't want to give you a bum steer but seems like it would be good.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 AM
SlayerZa

Ok seems like the 2-in-1 temp sensor thing is the best bet. I suppose I will go with that then.

Cheers
Slayerza
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
unlawfullactions

thats what i have the 2 in 1 venom failsafe....works very well....takes a little bit to set it up.....but it also has overheating protection...if you motor gets over a certain temp it will limit the throttle to a certain precentage...(i have mine set to 50%, so it is obvious that the motor is hot, bc the truck is running slower) it also has voltage protection, so if ur batt pack is low on power it will also limit the throttle...

but overall teh fail safe works great...i was using my truck the other day and kept wondering why it kept slammin on the brakes, turned out my antenna wire was broke inside my tx and the fail safe kept activating when it noticed i was out of range......

this piece was a def must for me when my last car was out of range and went WOT into the highway (a friend was using it, not me, so i got to blame him) had there been a failsafe on it i would have been alright.

and i also use the venom hump pack, but i think you might beable to build one from cheapbatterypacks.com i haven't tried them yet but will in the future...

another thing to keep in mind if you buy the venom hump pack (dont know if others are the same) you will need this adapter to have it work in the gst

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/BEC-1-Battery-Adapter-2-to-3-PRONG-for-HUMP-PACK-1400_W0QQitemZ280109795682QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44028 QQcmdZViewItem[/link]

and you might also need one of these if you are using a universal charger.....also make sure the charger can do 5 cells....i basically wasted my money on one that i didn't notice was only for charging 6-7 cells, and another that was only for charging NiCad..... from what i under stand one of the mrc super brain or somethign like that chargers are the best to go with.

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/E-FLITE-EFLA236-BATTERY-CHARGER-ADAPTER-RX-HUMP-PACK_W0QQitemZ280086631570QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44028 QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hey Guys,

Way past my bed time - so this is going to be short.

Check this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5884515/anchors_5891354/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#]post[/link] #7 regading the Smart temp.

As for the Genesis LE Fail Safe (some had CEN Stickers on them & others had Skyinn G82130 stickers like mine), I can only say I bench tested both, & I still run the original CEN Fail Safe, not the fail safe function of the Venom. I found that the Cen unit had a much more repeatable low voltage function (using an adjustable voltage dc power supply to simulate), that worked every time - something I can't say i found in testing the Venom Smart Temp. Just my obverservations, you may want to make your own judgements!

I do like the Smart temp's over temp throttle limmiting feature - but as I said in the above link, it is a delayed response, due to the heat soak time delay. Yes I do use it - especially in small areas when I'm not getting up a lot of speed ( little air cooling).

So for tunning I use my IR temp gun ([link=http://www.tempgun.com/specs.html#pe1]proexotics[/link])

Finally, I agree get a few glow plugs, you will use them soner or later! If youdon't have spares, you will wish you had.

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
MONAROMAN

ORIGINAL: .46NitroAddict

I found that the Cen unit had a much more repeatable low voltage function (using an adjustable voltage dc power supply to simulate), that worked every time - something I can't say i found in testing the Venom Smart Temp.

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Very interesting, good work .46nitro
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM
SlayerZa

Thanks for the info on the failsafes .46nitro. I always prefer actual test data when making a choice so that helps alot. I heve decided to get about 3 spare glowplugs a per the suggestions thus far.

Thanks for all the help.
Cheers
Slayer
Old 05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
burningpoo

unlawfull gst is 2 prong? I just picked up a mrc super brain 2 days ago. Also got a ofna hump pack that's 3 prong. going to make plug for them myself tho
Old 05-23-2007, 06:21 PM
unlawfullactions

i was able to use a pick tool and remove the pins from the three pin plug and put them into the 2 pin plug without needing an adapter...but i would have prefered an adapter because my charger has a 3 pin on it
Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 PM
teakdecker

hello everyone. i have been an rc enthusiast for a long time. i have had many electric cars and trucks along the way. i recently got a new GST. i love this truck! i do, however, have problems keeping it tuned in and starting easily! this is my first nitro truck. can you point me in the right direction toward keeping my truck running smoothly? is there a book that explains things? or maybe just some good "rule of thumb" advice? like i said, i love this truck and i am simply amazed with the power and traction it has but i do need some help! thank you, Jerry [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jerry,

Glad to hear you are happy with your New GST, and welcome to the boards.

[link=http://www.cenracing.com/downloads/enginemanualv2.zip]Download The Nitro Handbook Here!![/link]

I hope this helps

And again welcome