Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

GST 3rd gear clutch mod

Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 PM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GST 3rd gear clutch mod

I used epoxy but it wouldn`t stick unless i sanded the shoe and the teflon but its stuck well now

poo i think you have been too cautious with the weights in the clutch if you have a hardened steel 4mm hex wrench cut four 8mm bits from it and stick them in along with the 1mm thick teflon and you will be hitting third every time and real early too

i sanded all the edges of the teflon once it had stuck to the shoes to reduce the risk of it peeling off

my mip temp guage normally reads 220-255 degrees
i use to be running my truck at higher temps before i done the third gear mod trying to get enough revs to change into third

i really will get a video posted this weekend
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM
burningpoo

ORIGINAL: sparky 25
poo i think you have been too cautious with the weights in the clutch if you have a hardened steel 4mm hex wrench cut four 8mm bits from it and stick them in along with the 1mm thick teflon and you will be hitting third every time and real early too
I only have 2 4mm allen keys, a long and a short, so I'm waiting till I strip one out and I'll use that next time if I need to. I also think it's best to try as many different ways to leave options open for everyone else. I'm hitting up the hardware store today, while I'm there I'm going to look into other ideas if I have time/remember. I just hope they have teflon there so I don't have to order some.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
sparky 25

You could also use a 4mm hardened bolt in the same manor if your hardware store has them

I would really recommend a hardened piece of metal as it seems to have the right weight to it and mild steel/ stainless steel is too light

to do a proper job on it

the 1mm teflon is available on ebay real cheap if the hardware store don`t have any

i`d like to hear the other ideas you had in mind when you get back

good luck in finding what you need

just received the nemesis body i ordered it looks great on the truck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47287.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	946174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92545.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	946175  
Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
burningpoo

I'm looking to make a center skid plate along with a wheelie bar. I'll have to see what else gives me a idea there.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 PM
sparky 25

Do you have the center diff lock fitted ?

I had it in mine locked for about six months but got tired of the truck flipping over every time i would give it some gas

until i made a wheelie bar and then i really enjoyed its wheelies

i have removed the center diff lock at the moment, just removed it so i could actually climb over things,
and am running 500k silicone oil in the front, rear and center diffs
Old 05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
burningpoo

500k all around, wow.

I'm still slowly in the middle of doing my diffs, clutch mod, cleaning, now this skid plate and wheelie bar. I'm going with 120k center, 50k front and rear. If I get some 40k or 60k before I'm done I'm going to swap the diff's around for what I want to do. Heavy in the front for mud and climbing or flip them for dry flat racing and bashing. I'm hopeing the 120k will still put the wheels in the air but let me be heavy on the gas.

I still haven't found any teflon around here. I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow and see where that gets me. Most likly getting if from online though. I can't get this skid plate out of my mind so I might get to that sooner if I can find the right tools.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
sparky 25

filled each diff right up but after a few tanks of run time it all frees up

so its not as hard as you would think to get diff movement still have the front wheels pulling when i nail it

it`ll wheelie a bit on grass and any thing grippy but i`ve done all the diffs on my trucks this way even put a little into the mg16

gona get this vid posted tomorrow of some real third gear changes, clear as day when the truck hits third it dips its ass and takes off!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM
burningpoo

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=45458

Think this stuff will work? Can you put a link of the stuff you got?

[edit]

MECHANICAL TEFLON (PTFE) SHEET
VIRGIN TEFLON (PTFE) SHEET/PLATE

What one do I need?

[edits edit]

Mechanical is recycled

Virgin is new
Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 PM
sparky 25

Not really up to speed on inch to milimeter conversion,but if its about 1mm thick should be good togo

went to the link i got it from but they dont have it anymore, but heres some info of what i purchased

1mm x 300mm x 100 mm PTFE Sheet
Excellent chemical resistance
Excellent non stick properties.
Extremely low frictional properties.
Wide temperature range for a plastic (-260 to 260 deg C)
Excellent electrical insulation

If your stuck PM me and ill stick some in the post at least that way you know you`ve got the right stuff
it was real cheap so don`t worry about it costing you anything

the part about the none stick is the reason you have to give it a real good sand papering but it will stick once this is done

just want you to get the mod done as i have and to get it running good
Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 PM
burningpoo

wasn't looking and ordered

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hi-Voltage-Virgi...QQcmdZViewItem

I mailed the seller to see if it's the same. If it get's sent anyway, I'll try it, can't hurt to much

[edit]

It's the same stuff from what the guy said.

.040inches is 1.016 millimeters using this page...

http://www.ask.com/web?q=unit+conver...20080510004818
Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM
sparky 25

should do the job

watch out for the video tomorrow evening

hope it don`t rain[&o]
Old 05-10-2008, 12:05 PM
burningpoo

I'm going to cut up more stuff to see what wieghts I can get to stuff in the shoes.

I'm lucky that teflon stuff I got is the same, all I saw was .040 x 24" x 8" for under $8 so I jumped on it
Old 05-11-2008, 04:01 PM
sparky 25

Just got the video uploaded to rcu videos

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/X736D9NVZPNBLWRZ

i had the third gear set at 7.5 turns out but tightened it up to 6 turns out as it was comming in a little early,

think i`ll` losen it to 6.5 turns out that should be sweet,

but at least the video gives you an idea of how the truck should sound if your getting all 3 gears to work

as you can clearly hear second and third comming in each time without having to blow up your engine[:@] to get the 3rd gear working

hope this helps all the people who are not sure their getting third gear

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/9LC28Q470PG8LPLS
Old 05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
sparky 25

Heres how my truck sounded before i did the 3rd gear clutch mod not alot of speed and more revs == overheating[]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X23HBQHcOiE
Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 AM
arcboyz
My Feedback: (7)

oh, man i really have lots of things to do my gst is not even shifting nada, zero,0 lol i have to buy some supplies and make this mod thanks, sparky and poo
but on the other hand, dogman if you said that gst's are rarely heard shifting into second but they clearly shift into third how come sparkies video i hear both shifts? can it be that its shifting into second but not third and you think that its third and yes i know that the second shifted early on that video. Also does any body know the default settings for the 2 speed shifting point? im planning on stoping spending more time with my other trucks and familiarising my self more with my gst.

just my .02 arc

PS have you guys tryed grubscrews?? 5mm by 8mm or less i have some im going to check with those but first i have to order my teflon sheet.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go, re-read my post so you are clear about what I said. You CAN hear his shift twice and some you cannot. I also suggested that you CAN get yours to shift twice with proper tuning. This is a good mod when done properly. PPman spent the time to figure this one out along time ago and it has been proven to work. So Sparky used it and proves it does work, good job Sparky. And I will prolly do it when I get time. I have tuned a few trannies to know when they shift and the old school way was to hold the truck off the ground while running to hear/feel the shift points and I was always able to get the 2 shifts by tuning properly. This mod just makes it easier, its a good mod!

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

One thing ALL you guys need to remember, if you are hearing a shift after the truck has moved as much as 50ft or as little as 25ft then you ARE hitting 3rd!!! This mod only needs to be done if you NEVER hear it shift with a GST 3 speed tranny!! The 1st - 2nd shift is soo soon that you wont usually hear it because it is shifting in the acceleration phase and the actual sound of the shift will sound just the truck accelerating!! Every GST Nemesis or Genesis that has the 3rd gear I have been able to get to shift with the proper tuning!! This mod is not the real fix but it does help!! So mod on if you really have tried to adjust but just can't seem to get it(As a last resort)... But again remember if you hear a shift after the truck is moving then it IS hitting 3rd!!!

Ok done! Mod On Poo!!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jim, I have 2 write ups in the works, one for the Checkvalve and this one. I remember this mod very clearly and I will be giving it the honor it deserves by doing it exactly the way it was done by the originator PPMan. So look for it soon!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Hey Jim, I have 2 write ups in the works, one for the Checkvalve and this one. I remember this mod very clearly and I will be giving it the honor it deserves by doing it exactly the way it was done by the originator PPMan. So look for it soon!
Great! Im looking forward to seeing it, you did a great job on the dual steering servo mod, I cant wait to read your write up on this mod as well. Afte reading page 2 & 3 of this thread, it seems like the weights added from the sides of the shoe hemisphere seems to be the best since the integrity of the shoe contact area to teh inner radius of the CB is not compromised. But I want to see the exact method by PPMan also since his mod seems to have worked very successfully.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
sparky 25

I had mine shifting before i done the mod
but it wasn`t very good as it would not always hit 3rd gear
with the wheels of the ground it would always make 2 shifts but 3rd always came in very late no matter how much it was adjusted

even with the black softer clutch springs fitted 3rd would not shift early enough[]

In the video you can clearly hear the 2 shifts, because i was not just nailing the throttle

if i just nail it second comes in so fast you can hardly hear it

this mod just gives you more adjustment on when you want third to engage, the second gear settings are 5 full turns out
Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 AM
arcboyz
My Feedback: (7)

why is the teflon needed???
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
csa

Nice job sparky.

I've been frustrated with my gst not shifting 3rd too. Now that I've seen your video I'm convinced my 3rd is not working. If I moderately accelerate like you do mine too shifts at 2nd about the same point as yours did in the video (going past you), but I don't hear 3rd like yours after the truck is moving quickly and you've run out of space. I tried out on a football field. I tried holding it in my hand too. I've tried screws so far out they nearly hit the bell and nothing. I guess I'll just have to try this mod.

Craig.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 AM
sparky 25

The teflon is used to help prevent the clutch shoe from breaking up at high rpm

i don`t actually think its necessary as i read in a cen forum that the mod had been carried out without teflon

but it also adds that little bit extra weight to the shoes which may help it shift easier
Old 05-17-2008, 08:15 AM
sparky 25

If you carried out exactly as i have you`ll be getting third everytime,
i was almost giving up on my gst`s 3rd gear [:@] but when i tried this mod it worked perfect
now for allout speed it is class

Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 AM
sparky 25

Poo how you been getting on with the clutch?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.