Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Battery packs used by GST owners

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Battery packs used by GST owners

Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
souwester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery packs used by GST owners

Hi,

have had a search and can't find much info on what other GST owners are using to power their receivers and radios. It's time I went for packs for both but I'm not at all sure about what voltage receiver and radio pack to opt for. I'm thinking a flat 7.2V receiver pack tied to the front shock is a good idea to bring out the best in these aftermarket servos....or is 6V ample? I need something for the radio too but don't see much that would suit the 11V needed to power the radio. I'm not keen on LiPo as I've heard they are a fire hazard basically if charged in the house but they seem to be the only type which produces 11V. Am I wrong to be put off LiPo, is it the way to go, lighter/stronger sounds good to me. Are all connectors from all packs compatible with the receiver connector? Also what chargers are you guys using? I'm keen to buy the best now and don't mind paying top whack as I believe it future proofs me from having to upgrade again. Cheers.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Battery packs used by GST owners

A good 5 cell hump pack for the rx side of things is fine. I use a Triton 2 charger as does Dogman. It's excellent and will charge all batts. For my tx, I use energizer 2500 nimh AAs.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
souwester

...ok so does the Triton 2 charger run off the house mains or from a 12V car battery?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
nomobux

Runs off 12V as it comes or use a cheap 10 amp or bigger power supply from Radio Shack or whomever.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM
souwester

ORIGINAL: nomobux

................For my tx, I use energizer 2500 nimh AAs.
so am I correct in thinking that its not possible to get a flat pack for the radio and will have to go with individual AA's?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 AM
nomobux

ORIGINAL: souwester

ORIGINAL: nomobux

................For my tx, I use energizer 2500 nimh AAs.
so am I correct in thinking that its not possible to get a flat pack for the radio and will have to go with individual AA's?
Depends on the radio as to whether they make a pack. You could check with Tower or the radio manufacturer.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Venom 5 cell hump packs for the reciever.

Duratrax ice 12v Charger + ofna 110v to 12v inverter

If you need a flat pack for your transmitter, check out www.cheapbatterypacks.com and they can make you whatever you need for pretty cheap. My Nomadio React only came with a 800 mAh pack. I was able to get 2 2500 mAh packs from cheapbatterypacks for the same price as one OEM 800mAh, and my battery packs are 2 years old and still take a full charge and work great!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
nomobux

Venom packs would NOT be my 1st choice for a rx application.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM
GST-Maxx

I'm thinking a flat 7.2V receiver pack tied to the front shock is a good idea to bring out the best in these aftermarket servos....or is 6V ample?
I made a 1200Mah 5 cell hump pack made with [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYC9&P=7]Venom 2/3 1200mAh NiMH[/link] and am impressed with the performance of both the battery and the servo response. There are preinstalled tabs for soldering which are handy.

I need something for the radio too
I am using [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYC8&P=7]Venom AA NIMH rechargeable batteries[/link] and charge them on-board the remote.

I'm not keen on LiPo as I've heard they are a fire hazard. .
So far the only thing that I have read or heard about being a fire hazard is charging them incorrectly. Charge LiPo with the correct charger and there should be no more hazard then NIMH or NICD packs.

Are all connectors from all packs compatible with the receiver connector?
No. Each pack will have their own connector. I changed mine to the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFN4&P=7]Futaba J connector[/link] to accept the Traxxas Quick Charger and charge the batteries without removing them from the truck.

. . .what chargers are you guys using? I'm keen to buy the best now and don't mind paying top. . .
As for charger, I use a Duratrax Pirahna and the Traxxas' quick charger. You say $$ is no problem, there are many better chargers available. Good things have been written about the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7]DuraTrax IntelliPeak ICE DC Competition Charger[/link] and may be the next one I purchase.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM
sparky 25

I also have the venom 1200 5 cell hump pack and have never had an issue with durability or run time

its a great buy
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
GST-Maxx

ORIGINAL: GST-Maxx

Good things have been written about the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7]DuraTrax IntelliPeak ICE DC Competition Charger[/link] and may be the next one I purchase.
After reading articles and talking with other guys, instead of the ICE, I decided to purchase a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML]MRC Super Brain 977[/link] charger and am thoroughly impressed.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
souwester

I think I'm sorted for a charger and as I need both A/C and D/C the Hyperion EOS 0606i 6S 6A max CHARGER AC/DC fits the bill.......but I'm not sure what hump receiver pack to opt for bearing in mind that it's been stated earlier not all receiver pack connectors are standard...so as it's a GST 7.7 monster truck I'm using are there specific brands of receiver battery packs which will fit straight into the reciever of this truck. Tower hobbies have heaps of brands and don't want to buy an incompatible one. Thank you...