RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   just got a CEN Genisis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/3063540-just-got-cen-genisis.html)

benifur 06-11-2005 09:48 AM

just got a CEN Genisis

Did I make a bad mistake in buying this truck ? I read alot of bad things in this forum it has me afraid to even try and start it. I guess any tip's, or tricks would be apperciated and link's to parts they look like they are going to be hard to find (sense no hobby shop's here stock them ) for now I'll run my LST's ( they are whimpy out of the box too). Thanks Ben...........

jadda 06-12-2005 03:50 AM

RE: just got a CEN Genisis

Hi benifur
No you have not made a mistake. I have had mine for about 7 months now and it still runs great. There will be no problem finding parts, here's a link to a great hobby shop [link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/[/link] . New era also have some parts.
You should buy a new steering servo the stock one is to weak, also check if you have the latest version of the gen. It should have black spur and Pinion gears.
But you should check www.cengenesis.com
You will find all about the gen.
So good luck with your truck

CEN Racing 06-12-2005 04:29 AM

benifur:

Thank you for choosing CEN Racing. We assure you the durability and performance of the truck is top notch. If you ever need LHS information, technical support as well as our factory racer's tips, feel free to contact us at 714-792-1923 at anytime.

benifur 06-12-2005 04:54 AM

THANK YOU for your reply. I can use the links. I'm not new to nitro just this truck. I think I don't like the air filter rite off the bat, anything you can think of that needs tweaked would be good I'm pretty sure it wont stand up to my driving. And don't look like flexrek make's the supention arm's ,or rpm . But I'm bad at searchs. I seen some alum. arm's but I didn't like them on the LST .......................
,,, Keep on Truckin.................

I only ran 2 tanks so far, I'm a little confused I want to use new school heat cycle, but CEN's brake in is diff 7 tanks ??)only had it to 150 so it isn't even starting to seat hummm... why 7 tanks ???? I had to unhook the failsafe 5 min's don't work........... LOL.......

jadda 06-12-2005 05:08 AM

New era models have hop ups for the gen. I use the aluminum suspension arms from new era and they works just great. I know the 7 tanks are not very fun, it takes about all day to break in the beast but it's worth it. You will see how much power that engine will give when it's fully broken in.
So enjoy your truck.
I'm going to bash mine really hard this evening.

benifur 06-12-2005 05:31 AM

Thank's CenRacing. Hey why don't you have a 1-800 # if we have problems it should be on your dime. Just a thought.

Mad Monster 06-13-2005 11:09 AM

Hi Benifur,
I have my Gensis three weeks now.....
Had it iddle through 7 tanks as recommended by the manual. Then started to drive it around slowly.
After 10 "driving" tanks now the temp still goes up very quickly to and over 300 F and the mixture is still about the same as it came (very very smoky rich). Did not dare leaning it out because of the temp[&:]
During the 5th "driving" tank the 1st gear spur wheel stripped [:o] turned out the mechanics at Cen installed the engine too far away from the tranny so the gears engaged only at the top of the teeth [:@]
Respons from my dealer; "sorry but this is not covered by the warranty....you should check the gears before driving" [:'(]
SO BETTER CHECK YOURS![>:]
Also the 2nd and 3rd gear adjustment screws were set far from the factory specs and screwed in up to 2 turns uneven[:-] So better check these too.
Oke, 2 new gears (the second gear was also a bit dammaged -> had been in second gear only a few times...) and back to the track[>:]
Tryed a new cooling head (Nova Race Pro) that promissed up to 40% more cooling.....[&o] No succes.
I haven't given up hope yet. Will try to run it through another gallon (btw O'Donnel 20% Nitro Car fuel) and see if it comes "loos".
One positive remark; no parts fel of the truck until now :) I've experienced different from more then one other RTR car :D
One -more- negative remark; get rid of the original electronics if you want to remain in control of your truck........The original tx and rx are, what shall I say....not so good[:'(] Absolutely not up to the task. The servo's are so so... Adding a 6 Volt receiver pack did some good there. If you think your steering servo is a bit week, try adjusting -tightening- the servo saver. Mine was set very loos and after tightening it (and adding the 6 Volt pack) steering is not that bad ;)

benifur 06-13-2005 11:50 AM

I ran the 7 tanks though it yesterday then started driving it slowly around the back yard , it seems to have a problem steering (expecially right) I'm thinking the servo's to weak to turn it. or maybe the linkage is wrong I'm going to move the linkage out a couple of hole's on the servo arm and see if that helps. so far it's runnig at 210-220 but I havent gone very fast yet, and it don't steer very good at all takes about 20-30 ft to turn not good that's a big arc

jadda 06-13-2005 04:30 PM

HI Mad monster.
I also have the nova racing head and I do not think it's worth the money because it's not lowering the temps. So I bought a crazy nut head instead and that one works really well.
If you are running very hot you should check your carb setting. Mine are 3.5 turns out on the HSN and 0.5 -1 turn in from flush on the LSN . I have tried to use the setting CEN recommend but the engine keeps over heating.
With the setting I use I can still do wheelies and hit 3rd gear.

Mad Monster 06-13-2005 08:02 PM

Hi Jedda,
Thanks for the tip for the crazy nut cooling head!
My settins were; 4 turns out on the HSN and 1/3 turn from flush on the LSN.
After writing my last post, I went out to the track to feed the monster some more fuel....
And a little miracle happened -> for the first time temp stayed below 285 F / 140 C.
Fitting a new glow plug (Cen R3 instead of the original N3) gave a much better iddle but not much difference in engine temp.
Emptied 3 tanks and tryed to lean it out a bit (1/8 turn).....oeps.....again temp up a bit but also a noticable improvement in accelleration!
And another day at the track went by without any damage to the Genesis! (and I did make some big jumps!)

To Benifur;
I had the same problem with the steering (big radius one side and even bigger other side).
Because I also experienced some radio glitches (there are some high power electric cables under the parking lot of a football stadium where we race) and found the dual rate and trim controls on the Cen radio unusable, I put in a receiver for my Futaba 3PK.
Now I could easily set EPA etc and had a turning circle of 4 feet!
Also servo respons improved dramaticly. Together with the 6 Volt Nicad receiver pack I believe -for now- that the steering servo is -just- powerfull enough for the job.

AB!! 06-14-2005 02:25 AM

I have also recently purchased a Genesis and have read about the problems some people have had with the original air filter and I was wondering if anyone here has purchased an aftermarket air filter and if so what sort?

Supertronic Systems-Malta 06-14-2005 03:09 AM

AB...What is the problem with the air filter ?

jadda 06-14-2005 04:04 AM

Hi mad monster.
Glad to hear that you didn't break anything on your gen when you where at the track.
You could also test a medium plug. I use OS 8 and thats a hot plug but some people use medium plugs and it runs much better so I heard.

AB!
No I dont have any problems with my air filter, and I do not know any aftermarket filter. Sorry

benifur 06-14-2005 09:01 AM

well I drove it around yesterday, I moved the streering out 2 holes on the sevo horn and tightend the sevo saver it was way loose, and it turns alot better, before I started I thought I'd check the gear mesh and found the cluch bell was falling off (we're talking brand new out of the box truck hear is falling apart), any way with that fixed is out back to the track well I went pretty slow the frist tank it never seen 2nd gear, the 2nd tank thought I'd going alittle faster well I was wrong when it goes to shiff it has a hard time if you get on the gas it'll shift but it jumps to the right when it goes into 2nd and it shakes going in and coming out so I shut it down and gave up. today I set the gear cluches and see if that helps.

AB I put a motor saver air filter on all my RC's I just didn't like the way the stock one is, looks to me like it could get dirt in the carb past it so I never even used it I could be wrong but it just dosen't look rite to me

Supertronic Systems-Malta 06-14-2005 11:53 AM

Benifur.You need to run your truck for 7 tanks then start to go faster.At this time your
engine is runing rich so you cannot shift your gears very well.Till you do your
breaking-in drive your truck on 1st gear only and then start to lean the engine
after 7 tanks and shifting gears will be fine.

benifur 06-14-2005 12:36 PM

I did the 7 at idlle, 7 more tank's in 1st gear HUH well that only leaves me 5 more, I'll try . It's temp maxed at 232 F . guess I should of been a doctor so I'd have patients lol. I'll really take all the advice I can get with this truck. when it tried to shift with no luck I did back off. but it tried several times .

Jester79 06-15-2005 03:10 PM

If it sounds like it is fluttering when trying to shift, it could mean the adjustment screws are to tight. 1/8th of a turn out on each one could make it smoother, also you can lean the engine out a little more. I talk to CEN when I bought my truck, and they said between 220 and 250f was ok.

CEN Racing 06-15-2005 05:39 PM

benifur,

Our 1-800 # is 1-888-CEN-9886

; ) Thanks!

AB!! 06-18-2005 07:20 AM

Gday STC,
I haven't had any problems with the air filter yet, but it gets extremely dirty with each use and I have read other forums where some people have dusted their engines with the oem filter, though they may not have properly installed or oiled the filter.

Gday Benifur,
I had a look at the motor saver air filters and it is exactly what I was looking for. I see that they have ones that go straight onto the carby, and ones with 60 and 90deg elbows.
Do you know the part number of the one that you used on your Genesis?

benifur 06-18-2005 08:46 AM

my LHS has 2 sizes get the big one .I used the 60 degree intake seems to fit the truck good. Like I said I have them on all my trucks and I really like them sorry I don't remomber the number.

jadda 06-19-2005 08:35 AM

Hi benifur!!
Where can I find those motor saver air filter on the internet?? Do you know any good site for that?
Thanks
Dosser

benifur 06-19-2005 09:39 AM

I just saw the motor saver air filter at hobbieguyrc.com under 1/8 buggy stuff 17.65 USD thats a good price.

jadda 06-19-2005 12:09 PM

Okay
thanks for that benifur.

abonnet 06-20-2005 03:56 PM

Just got my Genesis 10 days ago. Too much rain in Miami. I'm on the 13th tank (7 at idle, 5 slowly increasing the punch). This thing just doesn't turn. I changed the setting to the last hole in the servo saver and still has a VERY hard time turning. CEN should't sell this truck like this.

I am VERY disappointed by the way the truck came out of the box in terms of the camber, caster, servo saver and gear mesh settings. Ready to Rock???? the only thing ready to rock is my tool box and my time. I have sepnt a lot of time trying to set all of these the right way.

Also, mine doesn't shift into 3rd gear. Don't want to push it too hard yet but seems it gets stuck in 2nd and the engine really revs up, reson why I hold back.

PLEASE, PLEASE advoce on theese topics, as I have been hitting a brick wall:

a) turns on the 3rd gear so it shifts smoothly
b) where can I buy (a website) a 6V receiver pack that fits in the battery compartment?!?!?!?
c) what servo do you recommend for the steering ...I was looking at the Hitec 250oz/in. one but it is $114 !!!

PLEASE HELP as I am ready to dump it, this thing is undriveable.

Thanks all for your time and experience at this.

Supertronic Systems-Malta 06-21-2005 04:39 AM

Abonnet.........if i were you i would call or email CEN,they will solve your
problem.