RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/3532034-12mm-14mm-hex-wheel-adapter-drhonda.html)

Dr Honda 11-22-2005 12:26 PM

RE: 12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda?

PPacy...

PM'ing you.

alvinl 11-22-2005 12:38 PM

Count me in for a set of 4. Thanks DrHonda.

cenracer1 11-22-2005 01:11 PM

dr honda... count me in for a full set of 4....
been waiting a long time for something like this...
as far as the drivetrain parts go.. what i heard from cen is that the parts are new and are not released yet. they are still testing them... there is no reason to jump to conclusions that the parts are the same... Hopefully, the new parts will be replacing the older style and retain the original part numbers... would make my life easier... I hate to learn new stock numbers all over again.

azzman 11-22-2005 02:12 PM

Yup count me in Dr. Set of 4.

dustin7837 11-22-2005 02:18 PM

I'm in for 4 if the price is good :D

Dr Honda 11-23-2005 09:26 PM

These little parts are a pain in the butt. Out of 5… I got one perfect part, and one good part. The other 3 were bad. The first part got destroyed because my cutting bit broke. The end mill used to cut the 2.2mm slot is fragile. I had to slow down the feed rate. The next one to get destroyed hopped out, lodged in the mill, and got cut up. The other one just didn’t have a good finish. (but it was usable) Anyway… I need to rethink the way the part is held in the fixture… I should make some progress by the weekend. (I will succeed!)

Here’s a quick pic of the good prototype. It’s fully CNC milled from a billet of 6061 T6 Alloy. The easy way to do this is to find 14mm hex bar stock, and just cut them off in a lathe. But, in the USA… metric bar stock is hard to come by. But the milled alloy is stronger then the extruded stuff.

I’ll set a price after I get a new tooling fixture made, and a few clean parts come off of the machine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...o/PB230006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...o/PB230005.jpg

dustin7837 11-23-2005 10:02 PM

Wow Dr Honda... You are good!!! Too bad these are so hard to make but they should be pretty poular with the crowd in this forum
Keep up the amazing work

cenracer1 11-23-2005 11:19 PM

spent all day working on five different trucks and was getting tired... logged on the site and saw the first one.. now I'm all excited again.. can' t wait till the parts are done...

rolland 11-24-2005 12:26 AM

Dr. Honda, what about getting standard hex stock instead of trying to get the metric and cut it down to the 14mm? I don't know if it would be easier or not.

As for the parts on the NX, the pictures of the cvd in the manual does not show the taper towards the diff cup end. If the taper is not there then the cup will have to be larger in diameter.
Allot of the parts are the same (ie. shocks, arms, knuckle, diff gears) but from the looks of it the cvd's and the diff cups are different.

rolland

Dr Honda 11-24-2005 07:42 AM

Hey Rolland…

I was thinking about that… but I don’t have a CNC rotary table on my mill… so to get a good index on the part would be hard. (to cut the sides) After I make a few $$$ I will probably add one to my setup. That way I can make gears, and splined shafts. Since I’ve sold a few things… the wife hasn’t yelled as much about the cost of my little machine shop. ;)

I think I have a couple possible solutions. The first one I’m going to try is to cheat on my “Z” axis Zero. This will leave a few thousandths at the bottom. So, I will have to manually cut the part from the stock, and de-burr it. I also was told by a veteran machinist that I could use double sided tape in conjunction with the clamps. It will keep the part from hoping out. Lastly… Once the center hole is cut… I could bolt down threw each part. The only problem I have with that is, if I cut my program in half (so it stops after the hole is cut) If I don’t get the part perfectly re-zeroed… the hole won’t be exactly in the center.

Oh well I’ll play around with it and see what works best.

poor judgement 11-24-2005 12:55 PM

Just a thought DrH - could you machine a simple indexing jig that u could clamp down on the bed and have the hexes bolted down thru the hole like u mentioned?

I was picturing a rectangular piece of alloy with a V in one edge to index the hexes on. Apols if this is all drivel and nonsense and really wont work... twas just a thought [sm=idea.gif]

BAMF90 11-24-2005 05:09 PM

Im in on a set of 4 if the price is good and once i get my truck in about a month or so.

Dr Honda 11-27-2005 08:33 AM

Hi guys,

Well… Yesterday I had some success. But, I did destroy a bunch of alloy. (and a cutting tool, but that was my fault) I tried a couple different things… but in the end the easiest way was to just leave a scrap of alloy in the bottom. (not to cut the part loose) then I have to manually cut the part from the stock, and clean up the bottom edge. I tried to bolt threw the hole… but that messed up the finish on the bearing support. I know that as soon as you bolt them in the car… it won’t matter, but if you’re paying for alloy parts… they need to look good, even if it’s only after you receive it. (sorry, I have my standards)

OK… I need a favor form some one with some measuring tools. Since I don’t have a FunFactor sitting in front of me… I need a measurement on the diameter of the axle. I know it’s 5mm… but I want an exact measurement. I have a 5mm Traxxas axle that I checked the parts with, and it’s a tight fit. (The way I want it) But I want to make sure that the CEN axle isn’t any bigger. If it’s even 0.01mm bigger… the hole in the middle of the hex adaptor will be too tight. And now that I think about it… measure the axle pin for me too.

I need to order some more 6061 for the parts… and a few more cutting tools… but if all goes well… I’ll be able to ship by the end of the week. But if things get held up for some reason… they will be able to ship on Monday Dec 5th. And like last time… I won’t take money until I’m holding finished parts in my hand.

Speaking about money… I think the price on these little guys is going to be USD $6 each. I wanted them to be cheaper… but the machine runs for a full 35 minutes to make a set of 4. (I can’t feed the small end mills any faster) And, I have to manually clean and de-burr them after they are done.

But the good news is… since these are small parts again… the shipping in the USA will be $3.85 for Priority shipping. And for the countries that can use the Global Priority… it will be the same as before. ($5 shipping, $1.85 insurance) Also, like last time… you don’t have to take the insurance… but if it gets lost… I won’t be able to help. Lastly… If you are unsure about the shipping price to your country… just send me a PM, or e-mail, and I will find the shipping price for you.

Oh… one last thing… Thanks for the submissions on the contest. Since the parts are almost finished… the contest will be done soon. So, if you still have an idea in your head… post it to the other thread soon! (or e-mail/PM it to me)

Thanks guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...o/PB270007.jpg

poor judgement 11-27-2005 08:40 AM

nice job DrH, they look very nice and shiny! i never imagined it would be as tricky as this to make them up.

whats next? [8D]

forgot - if i can get my callipers back from my old man today, ill post the diameter of the shafts by tonight, unless someone beats me to it...

Dr Honda 11-27-2005 09:17 AM

Poor Judgment…

I didn’t think they would be this hard either. But, it was a good learning experience. Every time I do something new… I get faster. And the funny thing is… a big part can be made faster, and is easer to set up. (for the most part) My mill is small (2hp) but I can feed a ½ inch end mill at 30ipm (inches per minute) threw 6061 alloy. But the little 1/16 inch end mill (used to cut the pin slot) can only be feed at 1.5ipm to 2ipm, or else you run the risk of breaking the tool, and ruining the part.

Oh… as far as the indexing tool you were talking about before. I think it would have worked… but I can buy a light duty rotary table, with indexing capabilities, for around USD $200. So it’s not really worth the effort to build one. It’s just getting the wife to let me spend the money after spending all the money on the machines. But… since it’s evolving into a small side business… that isn’t much of an issue anymore. But it’s still easer if she sees a little coming in, as some goes out.

Dr Honda 11-27-2005 09:25 AM

Guys… think about what you need next. I want to hold off on the axles, and CVDs. The reason for this is… CEN may have a better set in the works with the Magnum. Also… the brace will be too hard unless I go out and buy a funfactor. And here again… the Magnum looks as if it has a brace that runs front to back. Sure it’s plastic… but it’s in it. After it’s released… I can always just copy the plastic one in alloy.

If nothing comes to mind as a real necessity… that’s ok. I have a lot of other things to work on. (heli parts, Ornithopter, and 1/5th scale parts)

poor judgement 11-27-2005 10:17 AM

the Magnum looks as if it has a brace that runs front to back. Sure it’s plastic… but it’s in it. After it’s released… I can always just copy the plastic one in alloy.
some kind of brace would be ideal especially for the majority of people who have the stock funfactor chassis - trouble is that the magnum has an extended chassis, still dont know by how much, Cen are being very cagey in telling us the differences, in detail, between the magnum and funfactor and which parts will work on both chassis'...

as for cvs - i would like to see something that would use stock funfactor or magnum diff cups, and perhaps tmaxx hubs as this would allow a much thicker shaft to hold on to those tmaxx wheels.

glad to hear there is plenty of work for u DrH - i could do with a clutch slave cylinder for the S800 if u get short on work tho... hard to find parts? erm just a bit!

alvinl 11-27-2005 10:21 AM

Thanks DrHonda. I appreciate all the work you are putting into these.

mulletman 11-27-2005 04:06 PM

a brace would be nice

dustin7837 11-27-2005 04:59 PM

I could definately go for a brace as well. [8D]

rolland 11-28-2005 11:49 AM

I measured 4.95mm on one of my old axles.

At least your wife let you make a CNC.

rolland

Dr Honda 11-29-2005 12:29 PM

Rolland... Thanks. I'll check the shaft I have tonight.

The wife is pretty good with letting me have my toys… But after spending $7K to $8K on the machines, electronics, tooling, and software… she started to get nervous.

Genesis_twin 11-29-2005 05:01 PM

Dr Honda,

Here is a place selling metric stock I found the other day:
[link=http://www.metricmetals.com]www.metricmetals.com[/link]

And for standard sizes I've used:
[link=http://www.onlinemetals.com/]www.onlinemetals.com[/link]

Do you have a metal lathe also?

Dr Honda 11-29-2005 07:16 PM

Genesis twin…

Thanks for the heads-up on the metals places. I knew about onlinemetals.com, and I have bought from them in the past. I have stumbled across the metric place before, but they have a minimum $$ order, they charge for cutting (if you don’t want a full 12’ length) they are pricy for shipping, and they don’t have a good selection of aluminum alloys. I’m sure if I was a big shop making these parts… I could get a good discount. But since I’m small… I can’t really use them. I can buy some of my stock locally, but I’ve been using Enco for most of my basics. I keep getting adds from them where I get free shipping on orders above $50. A couple cutting tools, and some alloy always covers that.

Oh… Yes, I also have a lathe. It’s getting CNC converted soon. The only thing I don’t have, and I could really use to complete my small shop, is a break. Since I’m focused mostly on small parts... I could get a way with a small 3n1 unit. (break, shear, roller) I’m hoping to pick one up after Christmas.

Dr Honda 11-30-2005 02:48 PM

Hi Guys,

Hey… It looks like I should have parts available on Friday… so… if you were going to give an entry to my contest… The deadline is now set for tomorrow night. (Thursday, Dec 1st) I will announce the winner on Friday morning before I start taking orders.

For those who didn’t enter, and just want to buy a set of the adaptors… I will start taking orders on Friday via Paypal. ([email protected]) The adaptors will be $6 each (not per set) plus shipping, as stated above. (I set the price per piece because there were a few people who wanted 6. just an fyi)

I will ship Saturday morning for the orders placed on Friday.

Thanks