RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/3532034-12mm-14mm-hex-wheel-adapter-drhonda.html)

poor judgement 12-10-2005 06:54 AM

RE: 12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda?

the shift point is adjusted by a grub screw that u get too thru the hole in the smaller of the 2 spur gears. tightening it moves the shift point to higher revs, and vice versa. back it out a bit at a time til it shifts, so long as the engine is in tune that is. take a look at the exploded view of the 2 speed in that link i posted, its the screw with the spring and ball behind it.

re the shock towers - a couple of us broke the jt towers and had a nightmare trying to replace them, jt racing just didnt want to know, so DrHonda came to the rescue and made some for us. they seem to break way too easily if u crash just right...

RogersRacing 12-13-2005 08:49 PM

Thanks 4 that,

I'm trying to encourage my son not to attempt any soaring jumps until I sort out the diff-cups. I'm going out to look for some different options at the plumbing supplier as the first olives I got were too "fat" and I would have to remove too much meat off the suspension tower.

We intend to do some beach running over the holidays. Is there any mods you would recommend as we have not run in sand yet?

poor judgement 12-16-2005 12:16 PM

no worries. i had to take a little off my towers for the olives to work, but only a mm or so. i can get the olives for a couple of £ here in the uk, if u get real stuck i guess i could post some on, but u should find some somewhere - surely...

beaches are a bit hard going on the spurs and pinions to say the least. take plenty of spares and dont expect them to last long at all in the softer (more fun) sand. maybe tape up the hole under the spurs if u have clearance with ur ratios. stick the batts and radio gear, servos etc in balloons, u have a failsafe right? bung that in there too... oceans and mts dont mix. be prepared to strip and reoil/rust prevent when u get home. (or throw it in the dishwasher minus electrics and engine, with the missus gagged and bound to prevent personal injury) and then re-oil.

oh, and take lots of fuel! i hardly ever break mine on the beach - not a lot to hit... have fun

alvinl 12-16-2005 04:53 PM

Has anyone else tried out the hex adapters? Today was the first day I have had a chance to drive my MT2 since I got the adapters and all I have to say is WOW! OH MY GOD what a difference that better, lighter tires makes in the handling of this truck!

I got home early from work today and since there was a little sunlight left, I thought I would run a couple tanks through my MT2 and see how it handles with the new tires. So, I fueled it up and went out to the back yard. I let it warm up, richened it up 1/4 a turn and got the temp running in the low 220 range. Plenty of smoke and a little spit out the exhaust. I plopped it on the ground and away I went. At first, I was just amazed at how much more responsive the steering was. A few slow trips around the yard adjusting the steering and trim then a few high speed passes. I have a couple small dips in my yard where I get wheelies, but never like this. The first wheelie flips the truck over backward and rips the read body mound off. Not just the post, the entire mount. Guess I should have put the top on. At this point, I am ecstatic. Who gives a s**t about the body mount, my MT2 just pulled a wheelie till it flipped over backward. It has NEVER went that far. I normally get an inch or two of air under the front wheels, but NEVER have I had to go turn it back over and pull the mud out from around the motor, fuel tank and rollbar. I quickly found the body mount, put it on the porch to not lose it, and away I went again. Next wheelie I let off just in time to save it, only getting the rear shock tower muddy. Next wheelie, it flipped over but it righted itself. This I am used to with my Savage, but never with the MT2. However, the stock motor still does not have enough torque to pull a wheelie from a stop, but all it took was a small lift on the front end and it was wheelie time.

This went on for 3 tanks of fuel before I snapped the antennae tube off at the receiver box and my fun was over for the evening. I idled the last of the tank out and went inside. But the hex adapters worked brilliantly. I love the dirt bonz tires. They grip so much better than the stock MT2 tires. I know they are lighter than the stock tires, even though they are larger, but I never expected it to make that much of a difference. I even got a couple stoppies. I would recommend anyone still running the stock MT2 tires try a new tire with these hex adapters. It really makes a difference.

Only problem I had was the adapters, combined with the plastic adapters on the Romulin wheels and the washer on the outside, takes up so much of the axle the wheel nut will not go all the way onto the axle. The wheel nuts worked loose and I had to tighten them every time I filled up the tanks. So, I am going to loctite them and be done with it.

Anyone else try out their hex adapters?

mulletman 12-16-2005 09:34 PM

well happy it worked out good for you, man that sounds like fun(happen to get a couple pic or vids?)

poor judgement 12-17-2005 08:45 AM

Only problem I had was the adapters, combined with the plastic adapters on the Romulin wheels and the washer on the outside, takes up so much of the axle the wheel nut will not go all the way onto the axle.
bummer - maybe 17mm wouldnt have been such a bad idea?

mind you... if u ran low profile tyres u may get away with some other, plain old 14mm wheels with just slighty more offset than standard. (i think ive seem some 1/2" offset tmaxx wheels somewhere) that would do away with the plastic adapters, give u a better smaller lp tyre, and let u use these new steel spurs with one of the taller steel clutch bells. a bit extreme just to get the wheels to stay on... but it would make for a pretty good truck.

why cen didnt do all this to a rtr or a race/pro version or something ages ago, i dunno...

bdhabbit 12-24-2005 03:35 AM

Try turning the nuts over and putting them on with the teflon side first.
they should tighten up enough and stay from just the teflon alone in the nut this way.

azzman 12-24-2005 05:40 AM

These just arrived for the MT2 they have 22mm offset and have a 14mm hex, I got the dyable white ones but there are heaps of styles available in the stablemaxx range.
I also have some panther Komodo rubber on the way, just dont like the look of it with Dirt Bonz size tires on it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXBLM6

poor judgement 12-24-2005 06:16 AM

good stuff azzman, any chance of some pics once they are mounted with rubber etc? ive been considering trying that range of wheels but was unsure how much offset they had.

enjoy those komodos too man, much more nimble than the big tyres. i just use my brick pins for heavier duty offroad kinda stuff now, they just dont cut it at all compared to the komodos.

mulletman 12-24-2005 09:24 AM

the tires are going to look good on that truck. What colour are you going to dye the wheels?

azzman 12-24-2005 03:25 PM

The tyres havent arrived yet, but pics will be a go for sure. I will probably dye the wheels black. MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL :D

alvinl 01-14-2006 02:29 PM

Azzman, have you had a chance to try out the Komodo tires on Stablemaxx rims? How do you like them on your MT2? I had a set of Komodo's and Stablemaxx rims delivered today. I like the oversized look of the Dirtbonz on my MT2, but I am wondering if I can get even better performance out of these. I have not glued them yet but I might try them out tomorrow.

azzman 01-14-2006 02:37 PM

Have been away on holiday for a week so just glueing them on as we speak. The foams are really thick for the size of the tire and the bead is 4mm deep on the tire and 3mm deep on the rim so you will have a gap of about 1mm around the edge of the rim, so what I suggest you do is get the tire and foam seated correctly so the gap in the beasd is even and then drop some thin CA glue into the gap, I found after glueing the first one my usual method (and making a bit of a hash job of it [:@]) this is the best way.
I think this combo will rock. :D

alvinl 01-14-2006 03:04 PM

Thanks Azzman. Let me know if you get to try them out and I will post if I get to try them out tomorrow. I worked the foam and tires on the wheel. Boy, what a workout. This setup should have absolutely no bounce to it. The foams are rather firm and seem almost too large, but I got it in there and smoothed out. These look like they would be really good at the track.

poor judgement 01-14-2006 06:09 PM

u might want to soften the suspension a bit, or just take some option springs with u. those tyres dont absorb anything! they made mine way too twichy til i changed the springs and shock fluid.

good luck in gluing them so theyre nicely aligned on the rims, its a nasty job... let us know how u get on.

oh and pics?

azzman 01-14-2006 09:04 PM

Mine are on, pics very soon....

mulletman 01-14-2006 09:47 PM

since were on the subject of adapters, where is DR. Honda! has anyone heard from him?

alvinl 01-14-2006 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I pm'd Dr Honda just thursday or friday. He just got back from the holidays I do believe. My son fell in love with the new Komodo tires. Soooo, I think they might be going on his buggy instead of the new Dirg Hawgs I bought him. Here is a picture of the ATX sporting the new Komodo's. My MT2 is now sporting a new set of MOAB 2.2's.

Edit - So, what do you guys think? Do they work on the buggy?

Edit #2 - Also wanted to mention I did finally break a CV axle with the oversized Dirt Bonz tires. It is twisted right at the knuckle and came right off with a small twist. Now, if someone would just stock parts for the new Magnum...

dustin7837 01-14-2006 10:43 PM

haha. Man that's an aggressive looking unit. How does is handle?

alvinl 01-14-2006 10:45 PM

Haven't tried it yet. Still need to glue the tires. I might take it out with us tomorrow, but I am not sure.

poor judgement 01-14-2006 11:13 PM

have u tried 1/8 buggy wheels on the atx? u will need some 14-17mm adapters if u dont already have them, those 1/8 buggy wheels work really well, and would look good on the atx too - not that the komodos look bad - get ur photos before u scrape the chrome of the rims! [8D]

alvin - do the stablemaxx and dirtbonz clear the body, chassis and exhaust ok on the mt? doh - i just saw u have the dirtbonz on romulins... forget that then, but it means u have the 14-17mm adapters! try some buggy wheels man - it handles brilliantly - honestly, they work better than anything else ive tried, on dirt at least.

alvinl 01-15-2006 12:06 AM

Will any 1/8 buggy wheel work on the ATX? I am up for trying a set of crime fighters or something on it. I have the adapters that I bought from ARO and the 17 mm adapters that came with the Romulins. Is there a 1/8 buggy wheel that works better than the others? I assume I don't have to worry about the tires rubbing as much as with the MT2 since the front end of the ATX is so sleek. That may be the only way I get my Komodo's back from my son:D He has really taken a liking to them.

Thanks for your help. Having people who have done this stuff help makes it a lot easier to figure out.

azzman 01-15-2006 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres some photos of the MT2 with the Komodos. Dyed them black but didnt use enough dye so they turned out blue, but Im happy with the colour.
Had it going today, I love it with them on.
Looks great, handles great, heaps of grip, even with it running in 2 wheel drive, which is how I am running it for now, at least until I know how the Magnum driveshafts go.
Was driving on grass, tarmac and concrete and managed to break a rear wheel axle shaft (yes it sheered off at the crosspin!). And broke one of the steering bits that join the hub so half the video footage is with one wheel steer!!!
Will get onto posting the video soon.

Cheers

mulletman 01-15-2006 09:28 AM

the all look great, they look good on both vehicles

poor judgement 01-15-2006 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
nice stuff guys - i sure wish someone had mentioned about the shafts snapping with tmaxx wheels on... ;)... sorry... u guys goin to keep replacing the cen ones or do a shaft swap?

azzman - watch u dont lose those front diff cups mate!

as for buggy wheels - i used some ultra lx stock wheels and tyres off ebay (cheap) they work great on the beach or on loose dirt with these tyres on. i found they gave the most grip, so that presumably means more chance of snapping a shaft...