RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   Crazy wacky Electronics! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/3872200-crazy-wacky-electronics.html)

Sal Khan 02-05-2006 03:29 PM

Crazy wacky Electronics!

While I wait for some parts to come in, I thought I would ask this question:

Fun Factor Rally (4WD) and I just replaced the batteries about 4 days ago with Fresh Energizers I saw on special at Sam's. Well, 2 days ago I was running her through her paces and all of the sudden, it went Exorcist on me. It did about 15 donuts, stopped, took off and turned hard enough to barrel roll, stopped, then took off again and came straight at me... Veered waaay off course and slammed into a wall. I had the brake on the whole time on the TX but it just wouldn't comply. Funny thing was, the only visible damage was a bent main driveshaft.

So I pulled it in and tested the controls and everything seemed fine. Both servos responded like they should.

Well I bent the driveshaft back so I could do a little more testing, electronics still working fine, as soon as I fired her up, they went haywire again! Luckily this time I had my hand on it and my foot in front of it so it wouldn't be able to get away from me - and believe me it tried!

So my question is any idea what might cause this? Should I just replace the batteries AGAIN or check into something first?

jombo 02-05-2006 04:13 PM

RE: Crazy wacky Electronics!

it can be either low batt or your ant wire may be broken in a spot and grounding out. i would pull the reciever and check all the wires starting wirh the ant wire, batt wire ,servo wires.if they seem all ok, then see if the ant wire may be touching metal. if this all checks out then maybe someone is messing on your channel.

Scouser 02-05-2006 07:33 PM

Could someone close by have been on the same frequency?

badSN95 02-05-2006 08:24 PM

Check your linkage for brakes and throttle. My matrix was doing this because of weird vibration on brake linkage.

Sal Khan 02-05-2006 11:25 PM

Ya know I did just solder in a new antenna wire - I wonder if it came loose somehow. I'll have to break it open tomorrow and check it out along with replacing the batteries. I just hate to waste them! Eventually, I'll pick up a set of rechargeables I'm sure.

If someone IS on the same frequency out there, it's something other than an RC Car that I'm aware of. I own a restaurant in Raleigh, NC and we're located in a strip mall. Since I spend most of my life there, when I have some down time I'll mess around with it behind the restaurant in the empty lot. Of course, it's riddled with curbing, metal trash containers, and random Matresses that magically appear overnight. It's the damn bedding gnomes that are out to get me I bet. :D

ORIGINAL: badSN95
Check your linkage for brakes and throttle. My matrix was doing this because of weird vibration on brake linkage.
When you say that... how did you check? Or rather... what did you look for?

Since the ******* Seahawks sucked up my night, I'll give it a go in the morning.

badSN95 02-05-2006 11:32 PM

When I had the car running I noticed the linkage shaking and rattling. Then I moved it and it just sat there without moving or rattling.

Sal Khan 02-05-2006 11:36 PM

Moved it to a different location on the servo arm? Or just like... jiggled it?

When I had the car running I noticed the linkage shaking and rattling. Then I moved it and it just sat there without moving or rattling.

dj2_7 02-06-2006 12:50 AM

I had the same thing happen to me when I was still new at this. I think it's the vibration that causes it. I ended up just buying a new radio for it, beings I wanted a better one anyway. But if you don't want to spend the cash to get a new one I would try to fix it.

Sal Khan 02-06-2006 12:59 AM

I'm a bit new myself... DId you mean the reciever? OR the whole system?

ORIGINAL: dj2_7
I had the same thing happen to me when I was still new at this. I think it's the vibration that causes it. I ended up just buying a new radio for it, beings I wanted a better one anyway. But if you don't want to spend the cash to get a new one I would try to fix it.

badSN95 02-06-2006 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Sal Khan

Moved it to a different location on the servo arm? Or just like... jiggled it?

I had to move the brake arm at the center diff. Not the whole arm itself.

The guy at my hooby shop shrinkwraps anyhere there is metal on metal contact. I may do this just to be safe.

dj2_7 02-06-2006 01:01 PM

The vibration was causing the receiver to mess up. I just went out and bought a futaba fm radio system for $120. It's the best thing I ever bought for it. I just like the adjustability on it. You might be able to find a good radio on ebay for cheap if you look. I'm assuming you have the stock cen radio. You won't be disappointed if you do buy a good radio like an airtronics mx-3 seen them go on ebay for about $70.

poor judgement 02-06-2006 01:18 PM

i just replaced the rx with an airtronics one and added a failsafe and have had no more radio probs - very occasionally the failsafe cuts in, normally due to low batts tho. i am now confident enough to sometimes remove the failsafe to get a few more minutes from the batts, but obviously i dont run it til they are completely flat...[X(]

Sal Khan 02-06-2006 02:25 PM

Well, replaced the batteries. No dice. I removed the wheels so I wouldn't have any problems, and it just went psycho then too.

Removed the rear diff assembly and driveshaft as well as checked the antenna - still had mayhem. And only when the engine is on. So it must be the vibrations causing the insanity.

What are my chances of getting a replacement reciever from CEN? I don't want to shell out for a new system just yet. Especially since I just use the car for entertainment during my day!

Sal Khan 02-06-2006 03:04 PM

Aaaaaaaah.... Just got word that it might be a damaged crystal as well! DOH!

poor judgement 02-06-2006 03:17 PM

seriously mate - 10 bucks says that a replacement reciever will sort it out - many people have had issues with cens stock radio, just replacing the rx cures 99% of it, it seems - worth a shot if ur budget is tight or its just a toy for having a blast with (like me!)

maybe ur lhs will let u try before u buy?

Sal Khan 02-06-2006 03:22 PM

Good point my friend! I should just bite the bullet and do it huh?

Can you even purchase CEN recievers seperately?

Yeah I'm still pretty much stock everything and just bashing the around. Since experimenting on animals for thresholds of pain isn't exactly ethical, this is the next best thing huh? :D

My LHS has been biased towards me and/or my CEN car from Day 1. Like we're from a leper community or something.

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

seriously mate - 10 bucks says that a replacement reciever will sort it out - many people have had issues with cens stock radio, just replacing the rx cures 99% of it, it seems - worth a shot if ur budget is tight or its just a toy for having a blast with (like me!)

maybe ur lhs will let u try before u buy?

badSN95 02-06-2006 04:58 PM

Try wrapping electical tape around the linkage where it is metal to metal contact, just to see if it helps.

Any airtronics reciever should work if you do need to buy one.

Sal Khan 02-06-2006 05:11 PM

You mean where the throttle link meets the carb?

Try wrapping electical tape around the linkage where it is metal to metal contact, just to see if it helps.

Any airtronics reciever should work if you do need to buy one.

jombo 02-06-2006 05:40 PM

if its am ,you can get the tmax reciever only if its am 27mhz for 22.00 at tower. if its 75mhz am then then the hitec for 27.00 from tower.good luck

badSN95 02-06-2006 06:00 PM

Anywhere that metal is touching metal on your linkage. Mine has 2 steel loops that have steel rods going through them to work the brakes.

Sal Khan 02-07-2006 12:57 AM

Gave it a quick shot... No dice. I'm gonna wait for the crystals to come in and see if they help. For the first time, I'm frustrated! With... The.. car.... I........ mean. :D

Anywhere that metal is touching metal on your linkage. Mine has 2 steel loops that have steel rods going through them to work the brakes.

RogersRacing 02-07-2006 01:28 AM

Hi Sal,
Another Noob here, been watching your crisis unfold and wanted to steer you towards a thread about Cen's "temporarily non-existent" radio swap program. I'm stuck in Oz with very little Cen support or community and the standard issue rx/tx is pretty low-end and they are claiming they will re-introduce the swap system where you send your dodgey old Cen Rx/Tx and ANOTHER 50 bucks and they will send you what should have come standard in the first place!!
I'm watching a few things on ebay, we may have to collude so we don't outbid each other!!

Cheers

CR

Sal Khan 02-07-2006 10:13 AM

That's an interesting idea. But here's what I'm concerned about... That if CEN takes the same amount of time responding to this as they do basic technical questions via email - that it might be QUITE a while until we see the rx and tx again. ;)

My Fun Factor came with 2 controllers with Crystals "3" and "4", but the reciever only has Crystal "3"? Did anyone else's kit only come with one reciever crystal?

ORIGINAL: RogersRacing

Hi Sal,
Another Noob here, been watching your crisis unfold and wanted to steer you towards a thread about Cen's "temporarily non-existent" radio swap program. I'm stuck in Oz with very little Cen support or community and the standard issue rx/tx is pretty low-end and they are claiming they will re-introduce the swap system where you send your dodgey old Cen Rx/Tx and ANOTHER 50 bucks and they will send you what should have come standard in the first place!!
I'm watching a few things on ebay, we may have to collude so we don't outbid each other!!

Cheers

CR

poor judgement 02-07-2006 12:53 PM

personally... id forget all about any help from cen, or wrapping ur linkage, just replace the crappy rx man! i havent isolated any metal parts in the linkage at all, its not neccessary with a "real" radio in my experience - a new rx cost me £18, cured all my radio probs, and i just run it with no issues at all now in regards the radio.

a new rx is cheaper, quicker and less hassle than trying cens elusive bs radio exchange.

Scouser 02-07-2006 01:14 PM

Got to agree with PJ here. I think the best solution is to stick some quality electrics in there. A good Tx,Rx and some high power servos will transform the performance of your truck no end.
OOH, and a 6v rechargable hump pack aswell!;)