RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   Fancy a FunFactor 6061 ARO chassis? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/4209686-fancy-funfactor-6061-aro-chassis.html)

poor judgement 04-26-2006 03:55 PM

Fancy a FunFactor 6061 ARO chassis?

1 Attachment(s)
As the title says.

DrHonda has kindly offered to machine up some stronger than stock, 6061 grade aluminium chassis sets, based on the very rare JT chassis (but in shiny silver) - photos of the JT chassis below. Any suggestions for mods to this setup should be posted here, and we will see what we can all come up with.

If there is enough interest then, as per the ARO shock towers and ARO hexes it will go ahead, the more wanted, the better. With one of these chassis' as a good solid base, u too can have an overpowered, go-anywhere, giant killing, pass anything beast like mine! :D

No timewasters tho please.

alvinl 04-26-2006 04:11 PM

RE: Fancy a FunFactor 6061 ARO chassis?

I would be interested in this for the my son's ATX. I like the idea of a top plate that goes from over the brake seat to the front towers. With the way the ATX is made, it is almost impossible to fit a roll bar on it to strengthen the chassis. I think this would help a lot. If it gets made, count me in for 1.

dustin7837 04-26-2006 05:31 PM

If there is some sort of bracing between the fron and rear, Im will be in for 1 or possibly 2 if the price is decent and they turn out great.

digout 04-26-2006 06:00 PM

I also would like to see a FunFactor ARO chassis. My preference would be to have it designed to work with the new Magnum NX parts such as the drive shaft, fuel tank, laydown servos,etc.. The JT chassis that I have requires a shaft that is longer than the MT2 but shorter than the Magnum NX. From what I have been reading in the forums, the JT chassis have been found to vary in lengths.

mulletman 04-26-2006 08:00 PM

when i get some money and permision(hard to get) id be iterrested

offroadfury 04-26-2006 08:37 PM

Count me in for one

Tinybaum 04-27-2006 05:05 AM

Count me in for 1, and if i talk the girl into getting a truck, and painting hers pink lol make it 2. But 1 for sure

Tiny

PS..what is the weight comparison to the stock or the JT going to be?

poor judgement 04-27-2006 11:42 AM

the ARO chassis with both top plates will be around 260g give or take 10g or so, as thats the weight of the JT chassis and plates. its so similar to the stock and the ARO design (so far) i cant see there being much in it, certainly nothing that will affect performance to a noticeable degree.

Dr Honda 04-27-2006 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: digout

I also would like to see a FunFactor ARO chassis. My preference would be to have it designed to work with the new Magnum NX parts such as the drive shaft, fuel tank, laydown servos,etc.. The JT chassis that I have requires a shaft that is longer than the MT2 but shorter than the Magnum NX. From what I have been reading in the forums, the JT chassis have been found to vary in lengths.

Hummmm……

Those are some good points.

Hey Poor Judgment…

What does the JT chassis use for a front driveshaft? If it’s something strange, or hard to get… perhaps we should use the chassis you dew up, but stretch the section from the center diff, to the front diff just long enough to use the NX shaft. That way it will be easy to replace. Obviously, we would have to stretch the top plate too.

Just thinking…

what are your thoughts?

poor judgement 04-27-2006 02:41 PM

The stock centre shaft will work - its fitted to my JT chassis - it just needed some short bits of fuel line in the front and rear cups to help keep it in place. I did the Diff Cup Mod to these cups too, just to be sure.

The one I have drawn up is as per the JT chassis - 7mm longer than stock, yes it sounds a fair bit, but it can be lost in the way the cups are fitted - ie slightly more inboard - along with the fuel line.

Ive heard very little about the Magnums length or centre shaft, so Im in the dark too as to how long its chassis and centre shaft are. If anyone knows, or has one, please let us know.

Dr Honda 04-29-2006 07:00 AM

Hummmm….

Maybe I’ll just buy an NX so I can measure the middle shaft.

Poorjudgment… (and to all)

Would you be opposed to stretching the chassis to fit the NX shaft?

Lastly… before I get started on these things… do any of the pockets on the top of the chassis need to be there? Or are they purely decorative? And, do you guys want them? They aren’t hard to put it, so either way is OK with me. But if they need to be there… then I need to know. I’m curious because one looks like a place for the servo to sit, and one looks like the fuel tank.

Dr Honda 04-29-2006 07:16 AM

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!!!!!!!

The answer to the chassis flex, and bracing seems too simple to be true.

I need a picture of a stock FF, from the side, looking at the throttle servo. I also need a top shot of the throttle servo. The pics need to clear and in focus… and only of the servo and surrounding parts. (don’t get too far away, or too close)

I will disclose my idea shortly… and it may be added into the chassis kit!!

(also posted this in the "Bullet proofing" thread)

poor judgement 04-29-2006 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DrH - the drawing I have sent you is already stretched from stock, by 7mm. I wouldnt be surprised if the Magnum chassis is around 7mm longer than the stock FF chassis, and I expect it uses the same shaft as the FF, but Ill try to find out. I wouldnt get too hung up on the centre shaft length if you are planning on working from the drawing I sent. Having said that, it would be nice to know the length of the Magnum shaft. But the stock FF shaft WILL work on the stretched drawing I have sent to you.

As a point tho - FunFactor spares are a lot easier to get hold of than NX or Magnum bits, so I would prefer to stick with FF parts.

The rebates are not necessary, but look nice. I left them out due to cost, and people having slightly different arrangements on their chassis'. They dont let stuff sit lower on the chassis as all the mounts are the stock ones - so they are pretty pointless rebates really.

My truck is still completely stripped down, but I do have these photos on my hard drive if they are any good to you. I cut that purple piece from the stock FF front top plate, it does help a lot, but doesnt cure the flex on its own - is that the kind of thing you were thinking?

Dr Honda 04-30-2006 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

As a point tho - FunFactor spares are a lot easier to get hold of than NX or Magnum bits, so I would prefer to stick with FF parts.

Poor judgment…

OK… good point about the NX parts. Lets stick with the FF parts, and the JT sized chassis. If CEN gets NX parts out to market… and enough people want the chassis stretched even more… I guess I can make a change later. A few mm’s isn’t that hard. I’ll just leave enough room on my tooling fixture to allow for the stretch.

Also, thanks for the pics. The two top shots tell me what I needed to know… but I need a better… well, a different side shot. It needs to be more at 90 degrees to the chassis. (straight side shot) I think my idea will work! I’ll check the other thread for a picture.

Lastly… I'm most certainly using your drawing. You do good work, and I don’t have a truck to measure from. You will get full credit, and the prototype.

warnos16v 04-30-2006 08:08 AM

That sounds mad... I have been looking so hard for a JT Chassis...

My local Hobby shop has had one on order for me ever since I have had the FF... with no luck..

Count me in...

I have been able to get Magnum parts here in Australia... Don't know about the centre shaft though... I have the diff cups.. from a Magnum.. So I guess the centre shaft is avalible...

Buy what ever shaft you guys reckon..

Cheers

Warnos

poor judgement 04-30-2006 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ill get mine partially back together and get you the photo.

I reckon we have to stay with the FF parts for now, you know what Cen are like for giving detailed info on new parts... pants.

Thanks, lets just hope I didnt balls up the measurements! A spare chassis... hmmm, best find a centre diff setup for it, and maybe a new engine... you see what youve gone and done now?

Right, back to the truck.

Tinybaum 04-30-2006 11:06 PM

Dr H.

First off i just sent you a PM

2nd what can we do to allow a larger fuel tank on this chasis without making it too larger for the factory shaft?

Tiny

poor judgement 05-01-2006 05:18 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#3192109

have a look there and in the thread thats mentioned re parts.

Dr Honda 05-03-2006 09:26 PM

Hi all,

Well… here’s what I was thinking of. Basically the top plate will extend over the servo, with the servo wheel (the arm) coming out above the plate. Then it will tie into the chassis again via an aluminum block, and bolts running threw down to the chassis pan. (or servo block) What do you think? (it’s just an idea at this point) this will tire the rear and the front of the chassis as stiff, and compact as possible. The picture I got is of a stock FF… but Poor judgment’s picture looks like that may not work. Give me some input guys, so I can start to move forward with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Tony4aro/mod.jpg

alvinl 05-03-2006 10:11 PM

That's a very interesting idea. The benefit of the way you did it is you don't have to worry about bending the aluminum brace. Just use longer screws on the top plate. That just might work.

dustin7837 05-04-2006 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thats a pretty good Idea DR honda!!! Simple but effective!

Only thing I'm thinking is that the screw going into the plastic front steering servo mount mihgt strip easily.
However, It would be easy enough to take the Top plate support bars and use them there instead of that plastic and then cut the plastic down for the servo mount. It wouldnt require any extra parts except 2 top plate mounts...
That didnt explain it at all.... my bad..

Heres a pic.

poor judgement 05-04-2006 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my servo mounts are a bit lower, thats the issue there, i didnt think they were as low as that - many apols.

it looks like a good idea to me too DrH. Dustin covered what i was about to type. only thing i can think of is that there will be a fair bit of leverage against the long screw thru the extended top plate. that can be helped by making a kind of butressed alloy block maybe? something like my fantastic pic below? sorry, i love the airbrush tool on ms paint too much :).

or could we simply use 2 blocks, one to each servo mount?

alloy servo mounts would help loads in either case... just a thought - maybe a kind of "Stage 2" hop up perhaps...?

poor judgement 05-13-2006 08:43 PM

Any news on the chassis'?

dustin7837 05-13-2006 09:34 PM

Yeah. So I was just reading through this post and I am just wondering if we have a definate length for the chassis.
I ordered a few Tmxx/Savage sized bodies to paint for my FFs but it looks like the wheel wells on the bodies are a wee bit too far apart for the stock FF chassis. So I was just wondering if I'll be able to use these bodies without any ugly cutting or if The new chassis will be approx. the right length.

Dr Honda 05-15-2006 08:20 PM

Hi guys,

I made a similar post over on the case thread… But…

I’m very sorry for my absence lately. I’ve been doing some traveling for work, and most of my other free time has been used getting ready for the arrival of my first kid. (the traveling was most of it)

OK… now that that’s out of the way.

This project will have to go in a few steps since I don’t own a FF. First I’m going to make up a chassis as per Poorjudgment’s drawings. (no extra cutouts) then, after doing some fine tuning, and tweaks… I’ll put in the cutouts, and re work the brace. (not sure which way yet)

I need to order some 6061 to get started… so I would say I will have a first shot cut in about a week.

Hey Poorjudgment…

What was the retail, and close out price on the JT chassis kit? (I assumed it was the pan, braces and shock towers)

FYI to all: My chassis will not come with the towers. But they can be ordered separately.

Dustin…

I’ll have to do some measuring on my T-maxx… but I think this chassis will still be too short to use the Maxx bodies. But… once we get this going… I may be able to do a super stretch to make it Maxx compatible. (the center drive shaft will have problems though)

Thanks for the understanding guys.