RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   Steel Spur Gears for Fun Factor Series (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/4214668-steel-spur-gears-fun-factor-series.html)

offroadfury 04-27-2006 08:41 PM

Steel Spur Gears for Fun Factor Series

I just got word from Cen. Thought I would post this just in case people didn't know.

Upgrades now available for the Fun Factor Spur Gear and Second Gear (for 2 speed)

FF102 Main Spur gear retails for $40.00 USD.
FF103 Second gear retails for $32.00 USD.

Spentona 04-27-2006 11:10 PM

RE: Steel Spur Gears for Fun Factor Series

A warning for us in europe though we have to wait a week or two for these to be distributed still.

poor judgement 04-28-2006 01:31 AM

are those prices for real?!?!? jesus h.

theres a set of genny spurs on ebay for less than a tenner. lets see how much the funfactor ones work out in the uk... not gonna be cheap at all by the looks of it.

edited cos i invented words.

Tinybaum 04-28-2006 03:11 AM

Toyhaus has them in stock, about the same price.

They are not listed on their site, but if you call them they can order them for you.

I had no clue they were that must. . .may have to ride on the plastic ones for a bit

poor judgement 04-28-2006 09:26 AM

those prices are ridiculous, its a $250 truck at the end of the day.

nine times out of ten, if something in the US costs $10, here in the UK it will be £10, same for pretty much anything. so around £70 for the spurs would be laughable - i wait with baited breath!

i may just drill holes in the genesis ones, as i have access to some very nice balancing gear thru my work, i just hope they can balance something this small. ill find out first, obviously.

CEN - WHAT ABOUT STEEL PINIONS FOR THESE STEEL SPURS?
people keep asking, but u havent answered anyone yet. stock alloy ones will not last 2 minutes as im sure u are aware.

will 11/14t combo steel pinions be coming out to go with these spurs? or will u be recommending ur steel 14/18 combo for use with them?

please let us know cen, and please try to keep the price sensible too. :eek:

Tinybaum 04-28-2006 10:16 AM

Poor if you can drill the gen spurs, it would be cheaper for me to send them to you you drill them and and send back

with parts and shipping prob still less them $70

Like i said, ima have to stick to the plastic for a few weeks

You are right at the end of the day the truck is 250, if i wanted to have 500 in this truck just to be able to drive it will little issues, i would have bought something else.

My RC10 i hammer pretty hard and doesnt have near the problems as this truck, and i can get parts local.

Dont get my wrong i enjoy my FF, but i spend more time and money looking for strong parts then i do driving. With little or no solutions to any issues coming from the CEN.

If it wasnt for you guys this truck would have been target practice a long time ago

BootMachine 04-28-2006 12:29 PM

Those prices are very silly. No way they cost that much to make.

For 100 bucks CAD I can get enough plastic spurs to last a WHILE.

dustin7837 04-28-2006 12:53 PM

I am definately gonna just drill out my Gen spurs. I dont have a balancer, but I guess careful measurements will have to do.
You can get gen spurs from parted out trucks on ebay all the time for reasonably cheap

alvinl 04-28-2006 02:09 PM

WOW! That is too much for me. I am sticking with the plastic till I have problems. My plastic spur is not getting wore that fast for me to justify dumping that much money into two gears.

BootMachine 04-28-2006 04:38 PM

There are some Gen's on e-bay right now for a buck I think.

5 days left in the auction and 1 bid already though.....

CEN - bring those proces down...common...they are retarded. If its costing you guys that much to make, outsource to one of those slave labour Japanese companies that implements SMED and JIT and all that sweet sweet lean manufacturing philosophy. Help me decide on my next nitro being a Genesis or a Savage!

offroadfury 04-28-2006 06:23 PM

I thought the prices were crazy considering the one for the Matrix is only $25

mulletman 04-28-2006 07:07 PM

i sticken with the plastic spurs for that price!

rolland 04-29-2006 12:51 AM

Replacement Genesis spurs are 17.00 a piece. I see no reason for them to charge that much.
I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way I will spend that much on a set of spurs.

If there is that much interest I suggest that somebody contact www.1320.4t.com and see how much it will be for a set. I personally have no need for them because I rarely strip spurs any more. Wearing out pinions on the other hand is something that happens way to frequently.

rolland

RC30GTR 04-29-2006 12:58 AM

Price but i think its still wroth it... dont forget that the price includs bearing. Not to mention mugen CNC spurs will cost you in the $50s.....

Genesis spur is not CNC.. thats why its only $17

Gear Box Models 04-29-2006 01:11 AM

One of our customer try the ST clutch bell on the MT and it works very well. Spur didnt wear out as fast too. Just something you guys might want to consider if you dont want to go with the CNC spur

poor judgement 04-29-2006 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
regardless of the price of the spurs, without steel pinions in stock 11/14t ratios the mts out there are just going to chew their alloy pinions up within a couple of tanks.

i seriously do not recommend buying the steel spurs without steel pinions. why? well ive been there. i know what happens, and its very expensive to keep replacing the pinions. i for one cant get the 11t alloy pinion by its self in the UK, and have to buy a complete clutch bell with the 11 and 14t already on it, which just isnt funny. see pics below anyway, then make ur own mind up.

to offer a solution tho... adjustable mounts from another model would allow u to use ofnas 1/8 11-15t 2 speed clutch bell and pinions on the genesis spurs. it means using the alloy hubs for the spurs... but the pinions last for nearly a gallon of fuel, and the genesis spurs are very, very hard wearing too - even when used on sand with a .28 engine! much cheaper in the long run to say the least.

alvinl 04-29-2006 10:51 AM

PJ. Have you ever checked out Robinson Racing? They have a lot of pinions listed on their catalog, but I don't know sqat about pinions. So I don't know if anything they have listed would work or not. Here is a link:

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html#

poor judgement 04-29-2006 11:59 AM

i have, yea. i tralled thru loads of stuff on their site, but didnt find what i wanted. ended up looking towards the 1/8 buggy stuff, we all know the kind of hammering those things take, and i found ofna bits that would work and are cheaply and easily available.

all we need is a 2 speed, hard steel, single piece pinion set in 11/14t combos. others would be good too. if ofna can make them im sure cen can. with a 10mm thread on them, they would fit cens single speed threaded clutch bell. jobs a good un.

dustin7837 04-30-2006 05:53 PM

Come on CEN lets see what we can do here. I mean a new FF is like $239 USD now and the upgraded spurs alone are $72 USD.....

I would like to have 2 sets these but unless the price gets cut in HALF, I won't be buying any.

ppacy 05-01-2006 10:23 AM

just my 2p. I am running HPI 2-speed pinion 13-16t on my car, with savage 3-shoe clutch. very solid, but don't have the part number, I think it was made for RS4. The ST2 pinions are fitted on a smaller clutch bell so 1/8 3-shoe clutch will be out of the question . My CEN started as an ST2, but ended up being an MT with ARO 14mm hexes and offset wheels. No problems with performance, but I am running a Hyper .21 on it.

Tinybaum 05-04-2006 08:21 AM

Hey CEN racing. . . .thanks for the reply to Dustin :eek::eek:

I need spurs, problem is i am really having problems spending 70 on the metal ones, and only 7 tanks with the new engine before my spurs went..

What do i have to do to make the Genisis spurs work?

Tiny

poor judgement 05-04-2006 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i doubt cen will reply to that mate...

so here u go. pics below are:

assembled gen gears and hubs
G84302-02
G84302-04

not very light weight, and u WILL need steel pinions (in case i never mention that :eek:)

but u WONT ever need to buy spur gears again.

the spurs are cheapest on ebay - as low as $20 for the pair, but the hubs are hard to find, and will probably have to be bought as retail items. as a note - the lowest ratio cen steel gears are the 14/18 combo that will suit the gen gears (i dont have a part number for those tho). if u are prepared to mess with ur engine mounts, and possibly the fuel tank location, u can make ofna 1/8 pinions work (11/15 combo, very hard steel too)

been using that setup for ages, works great, still no wear on the spurs!

customrccars 05-04-2006 05:40 PM

Custom RC Cars has the steel gears in stock. I would agree that a different pinion is going to be necessary but would like to hear what happens.

As for tinybaum I would contact CEN 714-792-1923

http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=30&custom=0

http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=30&custom=0

Thanks,
Chris Meyer
www.customRCcars.com
(909)266-0156

Spentona 05-07-2006 04:44 AM

Custom Rc cars have them on their website for $24 & $28 makes it only $52 for 2 spurs and one way bearing. Not bad money for what they are. The plastic spurs from them work out at about $12 & $14 for the hub

I would still like to see some steel pinions though or at least some advice from CEN as to what parts they reccomend using.

Tinybaum 05-07-2006 09:10 AM

$52 aint to bad...id be willing to spend that, would you still neel the steel pinion?