RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   What's your NX-76 Compression Readings? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/5844491-whats-your-nx-76-compression-readings.html)

.46NitroAddict 05-12-2007 08:07 AM

What's your NX-76 Compression Readings?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi to all NX-76 owners,

Just interested to see if anyone has ever bothered testing their engines compression, especially if its just been run in. I'm after a base line value, to see what sort of condition mine is in! (Too much spare time on my hands, & an idle mind!).
Also, if any one who has had a lot of fuel thru' theirs, & still runs hard, I would also be interested in your readings. (Like an expected life span reading, I guess).

Using a standard automotive engine compression tester (mine is the threaded type) & an adaptor I made to convert to the glow plug thread, I have the following test results. (My LE has had approx. 3-4 Gal thru' her)

Cold Engine (no after run oil added in last 48 hours) = 70 psi,
Cold Engine (4-5 drops of after run oil in plug hole) = 78 psi.

Hot Engine (straight after running thru' 1 tank full) = 60 psi,
Hot Engine (4-5 drops of after run oil in plug hole) = 72 psi.

If you have acess to a push & hold compression tester, it would be even easier to do, as you could probably do this without any adaptors!

If you have access to a tester, please let me know what compression readings your engine has got, & approximately how much use it has had!

(Thanks to my Daughter for her help with the picture - If I don't say this, she said she won't come bashin' with me anymore!).

Regards .46NitroAddict :twisted:

dustin7837 05-12-2007 01:01 PM

RE: What's your NX-76 Compression Readings?

Excellent thread. Ive been thinking about this myself.

What did you use for an adapter?

.46NitroAddict 05-12-2007 05:55 PM

RE: What's your NX-76 Compression Readings?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey dustin7837,

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

What did you use for an adapter?
My tester is the Automotive threaded connection type (screws straight into car spark plug hole) not the rubber tapered tip push & hold type.
So I got on my lathe & turned down a piece of steel & tapped out end to recieve the tester (automotive sparkplug size) & turned down the other end to fit into the head with clearance. I then turned down the very end so I could press on an old glow plug that I drilled the center out of, so I could screw this adaptor straight into my NX-76 head. I put the little handles on it the same size as my glow plug tool so I didn't accidently strip my head when fitting it. I use a glow plug copper washer with this when testing.

The glow plug thread is 1/4 -32", a die size that isn't available here for less than AU$60 (too dear for a one off tool).

If you don't already have a tester, the rubber tip type available at most auto outlet stores here, is possibly your best choice (as long as it will fit into your NX-76 Head). If you want more info, let me know.

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]