RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   need help with gst (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/5999450-need-help-gst.html)

benpimpin 06-17-2007 05:50 PM

need help with gst

i think i need help finding my idle screw on my genesis, now everytime i start it it is ideling very high and i can not figure out how to get it to stop, this startedwhen i switched to 30% fuel, any input?? i realy want to drive oday.

thanks guys

bm14593 06-17-2007 07:56 PM

RE: need help with gst

small black screw on the left side of the carb. below high end mix screw.

The Real Dogman 06-17-2007 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The idle screw is on the front of your carb going into the carb at a shallow angle here is a pic from the manual

CEN Racing 06-18-2007 06:11 PM

The idle srew is located in the center of the carb directly under neath the air-filter

benpimpin 06-18-2007 06:15 PM

thank you, i messed around with it a little bit yesterday, which way do I twist it to lower the idle??

benpimpin 06-18-2007 06:26 PM

is there any other reason that the throttle would be sticking? I messed with the screw a little bit but it did not seem to help.

jarlin 06-18-2007 07:46 PM

Pull off your air filter and adjust the gap in the carb to about 1mm and then test it. Elevation and climate effect the setting but that is a place to start. I have no idea if I hit a 1mm gap or not but it idles really well. Bit of trouble if I turn it on its roof when the engine is hot, it stalls on me but I have only put 6 tanks through it too.

The Real Dogman 06-18-2007 09:04 PM

Ok Guys, the first thing you need to do is ajdust your End Point Adjustment(EPA) on your radio to be sure the servo is allowing the throttle to close completely..(Read your radio manual for instructions). If that does not allow your throttle to close completely then disconnect your linkage from the arm on the carb abd from the servo arm and look for binding(Most Likey The Pivot Near the Tank is too tight), while the linkage is off check that the throttle barrel will close completely.

Using 30% Nitro will natrually raise your idle and create more power. You should add shim to your head button to lower your comression abit, the engine will last longer. You should be able to tune the high idle out. I have never used nitro content that high so I can help you much with your tune, sorry..

I do hope what I have offered does help some tho..

Good luck and have fun!!

PS. let us know how it works out with your fuel choice...

EDIT ADDED: Hey I just noticed CEN was here!! Hey guys hows it going?? Been busy???

benpimpin 06-26-2007 07:13 PM

ok I went back to running 20% fuel and it is running awesome, i now plan on buying aftermarket parts. any advice on what to buy first???

thanks

The Real Dogman 06-26-2007 08:04 PM

Hey Ben what have you upgraded so far?? anything??

benpimpin 06-26-2007 08:59 PM

nope, so far it is completely stock except for the electric starter thing.

The Real Dogman 06-26-2007 11:18 PM

OK then ben
1)the first thing you will need to get is a 5 cell hump pack its 6volts compared to the 4 aa battery pack the truck comes with they are only 4.8 volts. That will help your servos run better.

2)You will want to pull the baffle out of your muffler to get a more vicious sound out of the pipe and some people say you will actually increase your torque abit

3)Then you may want to upgrade your steering servo to 1 that has close to 333oz of torque like a hitech hs5955mg, however those servos are a little pricey @ about $110 shipped or you can do the dual steering servo mod which you can do with stock servos @ about $30 in parts and about 6 hours of modifying your radio tray to accept the second servo. I will do a detailed write up if decide to go that route(I'm sure many people would like to see that!!)

4)For tuning you may want to invest in a [link=http://www.rchardware.com]N-tune Tuning Dial!![/link] It will help you tune better and keep track of your settings with their free downloadable tracking sheet.

5) Installing a checkvalve between the exhaust nipple and fuel tank will help stabilize the half tank leaning issue, that some people have experienced.

6) an after market airfilter should be on your list upgrades.

7) and finally there is the suspension, you can upgrade your entire suspension to aluminum which will add wieght to your truck but will help minimize breaking the OEN suspension arms, CEN has released afull option package for this truck but you can get GPM pieces as well.

This is a good start!! Check out my gallery for pictures of some of the stuff I've done just for the fun of it, some of it is successful some not fully tested, and acouple I think a complete bust, but it all was fun!!!

Anyway I hope this has helped some and just ask we will be more than happy to add to this list

benpimpin 06-26-2007 11:47 PM

ok thank you.

i saw in youre pictures you had a k&n style filter, where can I find one of these??? and can I order parts directly from the cen website??? and what about aftermarket exhausts or is the stock good as it gets?? and please do add to youre list of upgrades, i would like to get asmany ideas as possible.

thank you

The Real Dogman 06-27-2007 12:34 AM

Ebay is a great source for air filters, in fact for most anything, especially OEM replacement parts. And yes CEN Direct is your CEN source Found @ [link=http://www.cenracingdirect.com/]www.cenracingdirect.com[/link] The matrix pro pipe works pretty well, as well as other .28 big block pipes work too. I will add later when I'm not so tired..

benpimpin 06-27-2007 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Ebay is a great source for air filters, in fact for most anything, especially OEM replacement parts. And yes CEN Direct is your CEN source Found @ [link=http://www.cenracingdirect.com/]www.cenracingdirect.com[/link] The matrix pro pipe works pretty well, as well as other .28 big block pipes work too. I will add later when I'm not so tired..
please do I am very interested in the potential of these things.

dStruct714 06-27-2007 05:30 PM

Speaking of Air Filters, do you guys have any suggestions for running at the beach, desert, or river? I plan on running my GST in those kinds of environments and want to make sure I don't introduce dust/dirt/sand into the motor. I saw someone talking about putting a peice of panty hose over the stock filter.. Does someone make a pre-filter or replacement filter that would help with this kind of stuff, as the stock "sponge" would probably clog up pretty quick on it's own..

Thanks!

Chubbysdad 06-27-2007 08:43 PM

In florida, due to the sand, we run vet wrap around the air filters. Works great and wont let anything in and breathes like its not even there. I also use the motorsaver airfilter for the revo's wrapped with vet wrap.

Nick2618 06-27-2007 09:39 PM

When you say vet wrap you mean this stuff right?

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/vetwrapvetwr.html

The Real Dogman 06-27-2007 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you guys wanna talk dust in your air filters, try living and bashing in the Sonoran desert!! This dust is so fine you will find in places tat you never would have thought it could get!! On a sunny morning near my window you can see the dust floating in the air and it kinda twinkles in thesun light! Anyway, I was cleaning and changing my filters after every run!!!! Well, I thought I need to get my intake into cleaner air so I moved the air filter forward using a plastic tube and a shock spacer clip mounted to the servo with a home made bracket and voila I only have to clean or change the filter after every 5 or 6 runs, what a difference!!! check it out

BTW Clermont hows that clutch holding up??

Chubbysdad 06-28-2007 06:48 AM

yes nick that is the stuff.

Chubbysdad 06-28-2007 06:50 AM

Nice job dog. that will do the trick.
The clutch is holding up great... Thanks to the defective flywheel... it killed me lol.

.46NitroAddict 06-30-2007 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: dStruct714

Speaking of Air Filters, do you guys have any suggestions for running at the beach, desert, or river? I plan on running my GST in those kinds of environments and want to make sure I don't introduce dust/dirt/sand into the motor. I saw someone talking about putting a peice of panty hose over the stock filter.. Does someone make a pre-filter or replacement filter that would help with this kind of stuff, as the stock "sponge" would probably clog up pretty quick on it's own..

Thanks!
Hey dStruct714,

I have just ordered an Outerwears Pre-Filter to suit the [link=http://www.outerwears.com/products.asp?cat=12436] Standard Genesis/Nemesis/GST Air Filter [/link] (after consulting them for a suitable item) it's the right diameter, but just a little too long (but on their advice should be fine).
I will post a comment once I recieve it & get a chance to test it.

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]

dStruct714 07-01-2007 12:51 AM

Sweet, you'll have to post your results once you get it, I'm anxious to see how well it fits/works. That looks almost exactly like what I had in mind, except is that an extension on the filter, or is that just the type of filter they used to for the product shot?

An extension would actually help out with a lot of the issue, the front tires fling dirt, dust, and debris into the filter almost directly so if there was a way to extend the filter up and almost above the heatsink that would definitely help somewhat.

Cool deal, keep us posted [8D]

.46NitroAddict 07-01-2007 02:45 PM

Hi dStruct714,

To answer your question, the 'extension' is the type of filter they have designed this particular pre-filter for (click on this link [link=http://www.outerwears.com/products.asp?cat=12436]Standard Genesis/Nemesis/GST Air Filter[/link] it gives details of pre-filter). Just happens to be the correct diameter, just a little too long, but according to the correspondance I have had with Outerwears, they tell me that won't effect its operation.

As for relocating the CEN Air Filter, I had simmilar thoughts as you. But after seeing TRD's relocation option, some time ago, shown here in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5999450/tm.htm#]post #19[/link], I have decided I will probably go that way - Thanks for the idea Dogman. Mainly for two reasons;-
1/. Raising the filters existing height / location makes it prone to fouling the handle/roll bar, when lifting the truck & whilst removing the filter for replacement.
2/. TRD's relocation position will place the filter into much cleaner air (longer run time between cleans) & at the same time give the motor & it's head a more undisturbed flow of cooling air. Plus, whilst this whole assembly is kept low its chances of being damaged / ripped off are a lot less - so less risk of your motor getting unfiltered crap into it, to damage it!
Plus according to TRD the extra distance between the filter & carby, has no noticable determental effect to engine performance or output! Win Win!

I will post the results in approx two weeks time, I live in Australia, 5-8 days delivery time + I need some time to test.

.46NitroAddict 07-26-2007 09:00 AM

Hey dStruct714,

I'm back, a little later than I anticipated. The delivery was delayed due to a low stock level, but my order was recieved in today's mail. All in good condition, as ordered.

Weather permitting, I will test & report this weekend as promised.

Initial impressions are that they will help the cause, but I guess I will have to wait until tested to give an informed comment!