RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   GST front driveshaft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/6108509-gst-front-driveshaft.html)

burningpoo 07-13-2007 09:42 PM

GST front driveshaft

1 Attachment(s)
how did this happen...did i get a rock up there...man that sucks...

took my truck to the track for the first time today...only jumped...well...13 or 15 times...3 bad landings. only ran half a tank only because the parking lot is bigger and I could open her up and drift. could a cinder of done that? stupid plastic front shaft. that's my luck. the mud took some of the plastic off the other half...man that's crap

The Real Dogman 07-13-2007 09:51 PM

RE: GST front driveshaft

Hey poo, Thanx for the pics, helps emensly. Anyway, first thing is the tolerence between the radio box and Plastic shaft is so tight that shaft will rub on the radio box, I had to "trim" my radio box with the dremel and large drum sander. However, your problem looks like it got some help from an extra piece of debris wedged in there. Thats actually why I changed my Genesis plastic front shaft to the Nemesis steel front shaft. No more critters caught in there, and better clearance.. So trim your radio box and watch for debris getting wedged, or Swap the shaft..

Hope this helps!!

BTW Got my Matrix Arena TR,, Be here next thursday!!!!!! Just had to say that!!!

burningpoo 07-13-2007 09:54 PM

didn't see the mud before the run today...was showing her to some dude i met waiting for the woman to do the landry...like to take the kid to the track, she loves my truck as much as i do

was going to clean her...but took the truck out to show off...but he loved the truck:D

burningpoo 07-15-2007 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't get it...it's all clear...not a mark on it...now i'm really lost here

The Real Dogman 07-15-2007 02:06 PM

Well burning, you obviously had a hunk of poo(get it burning,,, poo) wedged in there that it now gone... are very rare occurence. unless you run in alot of mud. the mud prolly help the poo in but let go right after you stopped or went into reverse, the point is, it did the damage and now gone. Your front drive shaft is not ruined, it will function, but....

good clean-up btw

jarlin 07-15-2007 03:12 PM

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...34/Kq36027.jpg

Ok that pin that is at the center diff is what has broke/fallen out on my truck. Now I have not taken anything apart yet but my question is will i have to do more to it than slide the pin in or does that barrel screw need to be replace? Can that have fallen out?

burningpoo 07-15-2007 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tools of a mad man...I spent 2 hours cleaning the engin...truck don't look the same anymore...

watch out for the tailpipe spring...took a nice chunk of skin when it hooked me from fully stretched...

and there was no tread lock on my engin screws....

and I bent my top fin with some nice air and some bad control:D

csa 07-16-2007 07:08 AM

Pipe cleaners - good idea.

An old paint brush is a useful cleaning device.... e.g. can brush the dirty off the top without harming the linkages and possibly get into places the toothbrush won't.

Craig.

dStruct714 07-16-2007 12:08 PM

You should upgrade your front drive shaft to a metal one since the plastic broke.. DUDE! :D

Scott_GTR 07-16-2007 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: dStruct714

You should upgrade your front drive shaft to a metal one since the plastic broke.. DUDE! :D
Be warned; you will need a few extra bits to run a steel front shaft, namely the appropriate front and centre diff output shafts to run the dog bone.

A good upgrade, but you just need the extra bits.

dustin7837 07-16-2007 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Scott_GTR

ORIGINAL: dStruct714

Be warned; you will need a few extra bits to run a steel front shaft, namely the appropriate front and centre diff output shafts to run the dog bone.

A good upgrade, but you just need the extra bits.
yep, I didnt realize taht when I did it, then had to wait for 2 part orders to come in :(

I busted 2 or 3 of those plastic shafts before upgrading to the steel one. No problems since

burningpoo 07-16-2007 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2 1/2 days and one angry woman later.....

I'm going to upgrade when i get the cash...truck will run for now...just need a few more weeks.....years....

check out what the manifold spring did...hooked inside nice...pulled my finger right around to the carb:D[:'(]

jarlin 07-17-2007 09:28 PM

Hey fellas i posted that pic (well poo's pic) earlier in the thread and I put the pin in today and everything went great for the first tank. Then on my second tank it did the same thing again. No movement!![:@] The rear spins good and the front barely moves when I pick it up and hit the juice. So I took her home and the pin is still there. I guess that it is time to take the girlie apart for the first time( ya I know that is bad) Now for the questions. Should the center diff spin freely when the drive shafts are not attached? Where should I be looking for problems?
Thanks in advance.

burningpoo 07-18-2007 10:02 AM

off the gears, makeing sure that you shifter is in forword or reverse, it moved both cups easy...trying to turn from the cups made it a little harder...but my fingers were sore from 2 days of allenkeys, hard to get a grip with a numb arm and hand, the other hand the index finger has a nice new hole in it from the dumbest thing i've done in a few years...but you should be able to make it move

jarlin 07-18-2007 10:15 AM

Ok I will check the shifter but it will not move easily or freely either way so I have troubles inside then, I assume

burningpoo 07-18-2007 10:17 AM

when i had the trany out sometimesyou have to move the gears a little for it to shift all the way into gear

jarlin 07-19-2007 04:18 PM

before i took it apart i decided to have one more good look at what is going on. The rear end hops up and goes when I hit the juice and the left front tire spins pretty good. The right front hardly moves at all and when I apply the break the front tires just keep on spinning. The drive shaft from the center diff is turning well and fast. The front drive shafts to the tires do spin but the tires as I stated are not spinning together at the same speed and the brake does nothing. I am going to guess (in my infinite wisdom or lack there of) that the front diff has an issue. so gonna read up on it tonight in the book and take a crack at it tonight or tomorrow. Any tips tricks and advice would be appreciated

The Real Dogman 07-19-2007 07:06 PM

Jarlin,

Be sure the brakes are fully engaged, then grab one front wheel and try to rotate the other front wheel. If it spins freely and the drive shaft does not spin then your front diff is hosed, it spins and your drive DOES spin and the brakes are fully engaged then your tranny has issues.

If either the front dif is hosed or your tranny needs work and you find the diff in the tranny broke, then I would suggest getting some gloves and a heat source that will get up to 300 degrees and heat the diff to soften the Locktight that is used on the screws holding the diff side plates on. Make sure you have a good quality hex driver. Be very careful and patient while attempting to crack the diff open it can be a PITA but heat is the trick.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

jarlin 07-20-2007 09:52 AM

Ok Brakes on tires spin free and the drive shaft does not move so TRD says Front diff, (btw so do I :D) Ok so the question now is should I do an upgrade while I am at it and do you have to do upgrades to the front and rear at the same time?
Raining today so I may get at tearing her down today. If not today that will be my on holidays project at the in laws.

The Real Dogman 07-20-2007 12:15 PM

Ok Jarlin one more thing to look at is the grub screw on the side of the input shaft at the front diff. That screw is notorious for not being set on the flat of the pinion shaft and breaking free allowing the diff and pinion to spin inside the front input(identified in your manual on page 15 as GS043). Take that screw out and look thru the hole to see if it is aligned with the flat spot in the pinion shaft(the manual calls it the output shaft, I dont agree) if not than rotate until it does, add a drop of locktight and tighten grubscrew down as tight as you can get it without damaging the hex inside the screw.

Hope that is the problem, easier to fix.

Good luck!!

jarlin 07-20-2007 12:50 PM

Thanks TRD I assume that you are referring to the drive shafts to the wheels not the center drive shaft. I will try and have a look and I will keep you posted.

The Real Dogman 07-20-2007 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jarlin I am referring to the center driveshaft as seen below

jarlin 07-20-2007 03:05 PM

No luck it is the front diff. I guess it is time to take it apart and see what I find

DarkFire989 07-20-2007 04:00 PM

burning poo, where did you get those green fuel lines? they look sick:D sorry that its a bit off topic.

burningpoo 07-20-2007 07:21 PM

my lhs had the green fuel line and when I bought a 6 pack of air filters I saw the green spring thing, I had to have it. The green on the gst is what made me pick that over the nem, and the 3 speed rev with 4 disk. I can upgrade over time to the metal dif's and front drive shaft and still have my green:D