RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   Help me build the ultimate CEN GST 7.7 basher! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/6743898-help-me-build-ultimate-cen-gst-7-7-basher.html)

Abomination 12-11-2007 04:29 PM

Help me build the ultimate CEN GST 7.7 basher!

I finally bought a genesis and went with the CEN GST 7.7. I've had a few monster trucks (never a cen) and have always left them stock for the most part. I decided to go a different route this time and go completely wild. I want to build this truck into a bulletproof basher.

I've seen the dual servo mod and some of the bolt on hop up items CEN offers. What would you guys suggest I do to this vehicle. I would like to send the motor out to get upgraded if anyone knows of a good place to go (I'm against the supercharger and nitrous because of differing results). What parts should be upgraded on this if I'm planning on taking serious jumps at high speed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, cant wait to get started building this thing :)

SOILWORK 12-11-2007 04:40 PM

RE: Help me build the ultimate CEN GST 7.7 basher!

I would get the updated axles, the stock ones snap easily because they are not thick enough. The second upgrade I would do it is to install the Nemesis diff in the front with the steel driveshaft, the plastic telescoping drive shaft can not handle the massive torque the the 7.7 puts out. Another thing would to up grade the servos. I run A high speed servo on the throttle, this gives me more control over the truck when it is in the air. The GST doesn't need a lot of upgrades, If you are going to bash hard I would stay away from the aluminum, The aluminum will ben and it's a lot cheaper to replace the plastic parts than it is to replace a piece of twisted aluminum. The stock plastic on the truck is strong and will hold up tp a lot of abuse. The only thing I would upgrade to aluminum are the bulkhead braces.

Abomination 12-11-2007 04:56 PM

Thanks for the advice! Anything you would suggest to beef up the engine? My friend has a genesis that I've been playing with for awhile and I was never to impressed with overall power, dont get me wrong the engine is huge, but its pushing alot of weight. I've seen the engine modification companies floating around but wonder if any work with that specific motor or are any good.

SOILWORK 12-11-2007 05:11 PM

There a lot of 28's that will power the GST really well, the problem is that the motor mount needs to be modified. I hope CEN comes out with a engine mount for a 28 somtime in the future. Most people that are runnig the 7.7 are using a check valve between the pressure line, this will elimate the half tank lean issue. The stock 7.7 doesn't really need any modding, mine is fine the way it is.

Abomination 12-11-2007 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: SOILWORK

I would get the updated axles, the stock ones snap easily because they are not thick enough. The second upgrade I would do it is to install the Nemesis diff in the front with the steel driveshaft, the plastic telescoping drive shaft can not handle the massive torque the the 7.7 puts out. Another thing would to up grade the servos. I run A high speed servo on the throttle, this gives me more control over the truck when it is in the air. The GST doesn't need a lot of upgrades, If you are going to bash hard I would stay away from the aluminum, The aluminum will ben and it's a lot cheaper to replace the plastic parts than it is to replace a piece of twisted aluminum. The stock plastic on the truck is strong and will hold up tp a lot of abuse. The only thing I would upgrade to aluminum are the bulkhead braces.

Ok soilwork, could you do me a favor and verify the parts you suggested...

[link=http://www.customrccars.com/product_temp_trial.asp?id=1668&cat=21&custom=0]Updated axles[/link]

The nemesis diff has me confused, I found one on ebay and it said it would require new bulkheads from a nemesis but I couldn't find those. I ran across aluminum bulkheads that said they would work on a nemesis or the GST , is this the upgraded aluminum ones you suggested? And I havent seen the steel drive shaft. If you could expand on this and maybe provide a link??

Also for servo's what would you reccomend? Do you suggest the dual servo mod posted here above the upgraded single? And do you suggest upgrading all of them or just the throttle?

Thanks again!

And P.S. where do you guys suggest shopping at, it seems there is a very limited selection for the genesis platform

SOILWORK 12-11-2007 09:04 PM

Here is the link to the diff

http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=21&custom=0

Here is the link to the front steel driveshaft

Here is the link to the updated axles

The front driveshaft in the GST is plastic, the front driveshaft in the Nemesis is steel. The center diff and diff cup reqiures the use of some spacers and extra screws, however I have heard the the newer GST's already have the bulkheads so all you will need is the front transmission, drivecups and the steel drive shaft. I order most of my CEN parts from www.customrccars.com. Give Ryan a call he will help you out and hook you up with what you need.

SOILWORK 12-11-2007 09:15 PM

As far as the servos go it depends on how much money you want to spend. The dual servo mod is a good mod that you can do or you can buy one single servo that has a high torque rating. I am using a Hitech 985 for the steering and it has 172oz of torqe and for the throttle I am using a hitec
965 for the throttle. here are the links

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6775

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6774

Nick2618 12-11-2007 11:42 PM

a check valve between the pressure line
what exactly is that and where can i get it?

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 02:25 AM

What happens is that the pressure in the tank doesn't stay constant becuase some of the pressure is lost to back flow. What a check valve does is it allow fressure to enter the tank but it doesn't allow it to exit. Here is a link to the most popular one that everyone is using on thier GST or Nemesis

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEYG3&P=7

Griffsred 12-12-2007 03:42 AM

Where is the pressure the line, the line from the carb to the fuel tank?

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 07:21 AM

The pressure line is the line betwwen the tank and the exhuast.

The Real Dogman 12-12-2007 08:09 AM

Hey Guys!

Abomination, Since You asked me, here I am to drop my comments on your quest to build the ultimate GST 7.7 basher.

The GST is the fourth interance of the Genesis series trucks(Genesis, Genesis LE, Nemesis Race Version, GST 7.7(Genesis Super Truck)) The Genesis was the first version then the Genesis LE was released with some improvements over the first. Well, CEN saw that the market needed a race version that was lighter, faster and tougher so they released the Nemesis, which had Aluminum Diff Housings, 23mm Wheel Hexes, Steel Front drive shafts, 2 speed tranny to lighten the rotating mass and Metal To Metal Brakes. This truck is toughest of all the Genesis series including the current GST 7.7.

The Genesis series trucks are formidable bashers in their own right, but as with all RC vehicles you will break them when pushing them to the edge and back, thats the nature of the hobby. However, you can "help" them survive a little longer with a few mods. The GST already Borrows several improvements from the Nemesis, The Metal To Metal Brakes and 23mm wheel hexes. Because they are similar trucks you will borrow more parts from the Nemesis, such as the Differentials which will use the stock bulkhead braces from the GST you will hve to pop out the spacer from the brace. You will also use the Front steel drive shaft from the Nemeis as it will last longer than the plastic GST version.

Now, you ARE going to break parts even after you upgrade everything to combat breakage, so now you will have to balance the cost of breakage to how often that part breaks. Example, as Soilwork pointed out earlier Its cheaper to replace a broken plastic arm than it is to replace a severly bent aluminum arm. But how often do break the arm? Understand? This will depend on hard you bash your rig too. I have the aluminum lower and upper arms and the aluminum c-hubs and knuckles on my Nemesis, So far I have bent one of the lower hinge pins and one of the upper arms, which I was able to straighten both, the upper has since bent again so replacing it will be needed, but the lower arms or hinge pins are all in tack. And have bashed the living dayights out of my Beloved Nemesis while testing various cage designs I as working on.(I haven't run none of my nitro trucks since I discovered "low and slow" Rock crawling). I would recommend if you plan on bashing hard then run with the oem plastic arms unil one breaks then if $$ permits and you can afford to throw away that money when you bent something. But the Aluminum c-hubs and knuckles are a definite upgrade to a hardcore bashing truck. Aluminum shocks are a total waste of money since the platic ones hold up better and last longer.

The steering servo is a matter of choice, My Dual servo mod or a Hitec HS5955TG 333.oz single servo, but you ned more power on the steering.

The Checkvalve mod took me at least a dozen checkvalve purchases to find the right valve to do the job successfully. I tested and tested and tested until I settled on the OFNA valve as a suitable unit for this job. Again as Soilwork stated earlier the valve holds cnsistant pressure in the tank so the engine wont starve of fuel as the tank empties. The Valve goes in between the Exhaust Pressure nipple and the inlet of tank with the flowdirection towards the tank. I have to believe this was one of the best things to do to all Genesis series trucks as they all share the same tank and issues.

The CEN Support Forum is a wealth of info on the Genesis series trucks so continue to read the posts. I'm sre there are things I missed in this brief post but I will monitor this thread and answer any questions I can. If you need to ask me anything Directly my PM is always available. Awhile back one of the members started a thread and called it "Paging The Real Dogman" I thought that was a kick!! But I think that one is buried pretty deep by now but you can bring that one up and I will Definitely answer in there ay questions.

Anyway I hope this helps some!!

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 10:02 AM

Anytime the Dogman offers advice, take it. He really knows his way around theese trucks and is full of knowledge. Thanks Dogman for going into a little more detail than I can explain. It's a lot easier for me to explain in person than it is to type.

Nick2618 12-12-2007 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: SOILWORK

What happens is that the pressure in the tank doesn't stay constant becuase some of the pressure is lost to back flow. What a check valve does is it allow fressure to enter the tank but it doesn't allow it to exit. Here is a link to the most popular one that everyone is using on thier GST or Nemesis

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEYG3&P=7
can you prime the engine with that fitler? Cause i know its supposed to go on the fuel line. But if you squeeze it on the pressure line will fuel move to the engine?

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 11:04 AM

Yes you can prime the engine with that device.

The Real Dogman 12-12-2007 11:25 AM

Yes that Checkvavle can prime the carb when it is in the fuel line from the Tank to the Carb but when it is in the pressure line going from the Exhaust nipple to the tank it does not work the same way. With the valve in the pressure line its function is no longer a pump but now a checkvalve.

fastxr 12-12-2007 06:55 PM

......But the Aluminum c-hubs and knuckles are a definite upgrade to a hardcore bashing truck.

I have been following this post with interest since I recently just purchased a GST myself and Dogman stated in an above post that the c-hubs and knuckles are an updrade worth doing, where can I find those parts, does anyone have a link? I found some on ebay from RCXSHOP anyone use these, are they anygood?

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 07:29 PM

you can buy them at Tower Hobbies or CEN direct

http://www.cenracingdirect.com/index...OD&ProdID=3073

http://www.cenracingdirect.com/index...OD&ProdID=3074

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 07:36 PM

Or you can buy them here at www.customrccars.com This is where I buy most of my parts

The Real Dogman 12-12-2007 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: fastxr

......But the Aluminum c-hubs and knuckles are a definite upgrade to a hardcore bashing truck.

I have been following this post with interest since I recently just purchased a GST myself and Dogman stated in an above post that the c-hubs and knuckles are an updrade worth doing, where can I find those parts, does anyone have a link? I found some on ebay from RCXSHOP anyone use these, are they anygood?

Yes the knuckles and c-hubs that RCXShop on eBay carries are GPM parts. Those are the ones I have been using, they hold up great!! and the finish on thm make you think they are cast, but actually CNC'd and blasted to that matte finish, very nice!!

fastxr 12-12-2007 08:05 PM

Thanks for the fast responses guys, guess what Sants is bringing me for Christmas!!! :D

Abomination 12-12-2007 08:37 PM

Well after everyones advice here I talked to the hobby shop I bought the GST from and they said I could exchange it for the nemesis without any issues (I never even opened it lol). Soooo.... hopefully I can get over there tomorrow and switch it out. That will save me from doing the drivetrain upgrades you suggested and instead I think I will get the 3 speed trans/w reverse. I still plan on all the other mods and now I have added new wheels and a body to the shopping list (sorry but the nemesis looks are not upto par with the GST lol), since I'm not racing the weight savings on the nemesis wheels are a non issue and Ill always have them if I do go for a race.

Once I get all the parts Ill post pictures, I plan on doing all the upgrades before the first run.

Also, I plan on getting a roll cage and I see two different styles. One that is cut out of some profiles of aluminum and one that looks like a cars roll cage with actual tubing. Anyone have experience with either of them?

The Real Dogman 12-12-2007 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Abomination

Well after everyones advice here I talked to the hobby shop I bought the GST from and they said I could exchange it for the nemesis without any issues (I never even opened it lol). Soooo.... hopefully I can get over there tomorrow and switch it out. That will save me from doing the drivetrain upgrades you suggested and instead I think I will get the 3 speed trans/w reverse. I still plan on all the other mods and now I have added new wheels and a body to the shopping list (sorry but the nemesis looks are not upto par with the GST lol), since I'm not racing the weight savings on the nemesis wheels are a non issue and Ill always have them if I do go for a race.

Once I get all the parts Ill post pictures, I plan on doing all the upgrades before the first run.

Also, I plan on getting a roll cage and I see two different styles. One that is cut out of some profiles of aluminum and one that looks like a cars roll cage with actual tubing. Anyone have experience with either of them?
Good plan!!!

On the cages, I have not personally owned them so I cant coment directly abou them. However I did test alot of cages I made and I can tell you these trucks are heavy!! You will bend or break ANY cage you put on it unless it is just as heavy as the truck itself and triangulated like crazy!! I have found that when I got better at driving these beasts, they were not upside down nearly as much. But it is personal choice here. If you do decide to go with a cage, let us know which and how long it lasted before it bent or broke, ok??? promise???

Abomination 12-12-2007 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

ORIGINAL: Abomination

Good plan!!!

On the cages, I have not personally owned them so I cant coment directly abou them. However I did test alot of cages I made and I can tell you these trucks are heavy!! You will bend or break ANY cage you put on it unless it is just as heavy as the truck itself and triangulated like crazy!! I have found that when I got better at driving these beasts, they were not upside down nearly as much. But it is personal choice here. If you do decide to go with a cage, let us know which and how long it lasted before it bent or broke, ok??? promise???
lol really? I just liked them for the look to be honest haha.. I think Ill try the tube style one, it looks pretty good and the guy had a video of a genesis flipping onto its top over and over and it seemed to hold up well. I don't plan on doing it often but I figure it will save me from the errant one or two.

SOILWORK 12-12-2007 09:04 PM

As for rollcages, I personally like this one. It's a bit pricey, buts its really rigid and strong. The tublar type roll cages are welded together and they tend to stress and crack at the welds.

http://r-cstore.com/store/product_in...products_id=28