Notices

Century 50NX

Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
funkinflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Century 50NX

Hi all,

I just ordered my first nitro heli, the Century 50NX. I'm new to the hobby, and I thought it is a good choice for a newb. I wanted to start this thread so i could learn a little (hopefully a lot) and maybe have some fun along the way.

With the kit on it's way I started to research all of the other gear I would need (radio, servo's, gyro, engine, etc). I have the radio already picked out (Futaba 10CHP), and I'll get to the questions about servo's and gyro'slater. What I am having a lot of confusion about right now is the engine. I guess the best place to start is what I am looking for in an engine. I'd like to get an engine that is smooth, easy to tune (never played with nitro) that will help me learn how to fly (doubt i'll need help with the crash part). I know O.S., Novarossi, Thunder Tiger, and Y.S. make engines for helicopters, but i don't know what to look for. They are all priced relatively close, and the specifications shown on each website doesn't really give me the "wow" factor, telling me that's the right engine for the 50NX.

Here's the Century 50NX weblink if you're interested in the heli.

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?currentid=598

I would greatly appreciate any help and advise. Also, feel free to post a pic of your project. I'd love to see what everyone else is doing.

thanx
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Century 50NX

I'd run either the OS or YS with confidence.

If you're just starting out the the OS 50 Hyper is plenty and a really good deal right now because of the 55 being recently introduced.

I emplore you to find someone in your area that flys to go over it and help you out, even if you have to drive an hour or two it will cost you a lot less in the long run.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 AM
funkinflying

Thanks Barracuda.  I do plan to have the heli examined before I try it, and I plan to purchase a sim (phoenix i think) to practice with.  Per century's website, there is a field rep in the next town over (saratoga, ny).  Hopefully he'll take some time for me, which I'll gladly pay for. 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 AM
BarracudaHockey

Most guys wouldn't charge you any more than a trip to Subway
Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM
rotordoc1

I agree with Baracudahockey - both the YS or OS 50's will provide a lot of power for your NX50. I have used both in mine and found them both to be great engines. I use the Century 3049 muffler with both and it worked equally well with each.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
funkinflying

Thanks for the advice guys.  I think  the O.S. 50SX-H Hyper is the way to go.  It is showing to be the most cost effective, looks really good, and the reviews are stating exactly what you guys have said.  Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
funkinflying

Crap, one last question.  I downloaded the manual for the OS 50, just to get an understanding of the requirements (maintenance, break-in, etc).  It explained in detail a proper break-in procedure with the engine installed in the model.  My question is, can the engine be broken-in, securely mounted to a work bench, or does it need to be in the heil.  I planned to build a mounting system that can safely secure the engine, along with a thottle asm that could hold the rpm at a fixed point depending on break-in requirements.  But i am uncertain if the break-in would require the use of the heli's electronics (transmitter/receiver) for thottle curves.  I also know that I would have to devise a proper way to introduce a load on the engine, as not to do damage from a no-load condition.

Let me know your thoughts.  Am I on a reasonable path, or am I over complicating this process?

Thanks again!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
funkinflying

Crap, one last question. I downloaded the manual for the OS 50, just to get an understanding of the requirements (maintenance, break-in, etc). It explained in detail a proper break-in procedure with the engine installed in the model. My question is, can the engine be broken-in, securely mounted to a work bench, or does it need to be in the heil. I planned to build a mounting system that can safely secure the engine, along with a thottle asm that could hold the rpm at a fixed point depending on break-in requirements. But i am uncertain if the break-in would require the use of the heli's electronics (transmitter/receiver) for thottle curves. I also know that I would have to devise a proper way to introduce a load on the engine, as not to do damage from a no-load condition.

Let me know your thoughts. Am I on a reasonable path, or am I over complicating this process?

Thanks again!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
BarracudaHockey

Break it in mounted in the heli. It needs to be loaded to break in, and the the tollerences are so close these days there's not much break in required.

You could mount a prop to it but there's little benefit. As you're learning to hover you can tweak it in as it beds the ring.

http://www.raptortechnique.com has tuning procedures that are universal in nature.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello since you're new to the hobby a os 50 hyper would be perfect for you. It has alot of power for a person like you that will burly getting into. I have a rebuilt os 50 hyper rebuilt by os.
This engine is like new since they service my engine. os 50 hyper can also be used to do 3d ofcourse extreme 3d you would want a more powerful engine. I willing to sell you it for 115
shipped. Consider it as brand new no different between my engine and the store that you will be paying 200 or more. Still has to break it in though. Great engine but might be to much for
you. Also engine is very realible and hold tune for long long time.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically install you're engine into you're helicopter. Run it really rich. I let it idle on first tank. Second i will spin her. Third i will try to hover her if she turns off because it's to rich then I'll lean it out.
I'll let it hover rich without touching the main needle for another 4 tanks then i will lean it up a bit every tank after it and do some flying. There some sites that will teach you how to break it in.

Each tank i would only do maybe 2-3 click but there is a website that will teach you to break it in. Needs a tempature gun. Finless has movies to break in the engine.