Notices

predator gasser

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:47 PM
paseouk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator gasser

hi,
i was wondering if any one nos anything about the new predator gasser thats coming out.i no very little about gassers and was wondering what sort of power they give compared to say a os70sxh,or dont they even give that much power.i was after an 90 size model but the fuel costs put me of so im going for a 70 but if the gasser gives the same amount of power it will be even cheaper to run.i think century have been useing the g26h engine in the predator.any thoughts out there.
thanks.
lee.
cleveland model helicopter club.uk.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 AM
e shulman

Default RE: predator gasser

Just ordered a predator gasser after researching the gassers. It's got the 231 engine, should have plenty of power. I should have it the end of april.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:18 PM
pepper-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

USE THIS LINK
good friend of mine has one and is very head strong about it and loves it.. if you have any questions about the heli just ask me or AGRAV8 on Run Ryder

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t96252p1/

pepper
GOD BLESS
Old 05-04-2004, 06:56 AM
rchelibuff
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks for the great info fellows on this heli. I just had ordered mine yesterday 3 day select so I have something to build on the weekend. One change that I had made is the engine, I called BH Hanson and went with his G-260 modified heli version engine. It produces a pound and a half more thrust over the stock G-231 with a stock muffler. I also added the Torpedo style muffler that Heli-World offers, so it would be nice what the power band difference may be with that over stock.

For all those who are currently building them, are there any other upgrades or extra bearings that I should get now and do before I start to build? And if anyone is wondering, the Carbon frames are currently only for the Nitro version but the Gasser frames will be available shortly.

Happy Flying.
Mike
Old 05-25-2004, 09:26 PM
e shulman

Finally got my Predataor Gasser!!. A month of careful building and testing resulted in a very successful flight today. Trimmed it out and pulled it into a hover. Steady but responsive. The only thing not stock is the tail rotor. I replaced the 95mm plastic blades with 105mm carbon fiber blades. I do mostly scale flying and I think this one is a keeper.
Running very nice on 100:1 Amsoil (mixed at 80:1). I'm running the head at 1400 rpm.

-Manny
Old 05-26-2004, 01:24 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

e shulman,

What's your overall impression of the Pred. Gas; design, assembly, etc.. Any problems? I want a gasser real bad, but gotta find some funds.

Do you have plans for a scale fuse for yours?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 05-27-2004, 10:41 PM
e shulman

Overall Impression:

Well, my last heli was a Kobe Kiko gas hughes 300. It was underpowered and lumbering. This heli is nimble and powerfull. Steady in a hover at half stick. I'm running it at 1400 rpm head speed (I don't do 3D). I'm looking for stability for eventual installation into a scale fuselage. I am looking at the Graffner Bell 230 body. I think I'll need to modify the body a little to make room for the pull starter.
I like the tail drive system. The entire heli is amazingly precise. I'm impressed with the quality of the kit. There is vertually no instructions on flight adjustments or recomendations for rpm. It's a model not designed for a first timer. The factory measurements set it up for full 3D -12 to +12 on pitch. I setup my pitch curve on the radio so it goes from -3 to +12. I'm also using the GV-1 and the GY401 gyro. It's amazingly smooth lifting off into a hover. So far I love it.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:23 PM
bdphil

Thanks for additional info! I've pretty much talked myself out of other gassers. I'd really like a Fury Gas, but who knows when they'll be available and they won't fit any scale fuse. I might have to try a Pred. Gas. That was easy, now I just gotta raise some cash!

Ben
Old 05-30-2004, 04:13 AM
wilga12

Hi fellas
I'm impressed with the knowledge you guys seem to have on the "Gasser" copters
I'm totally new to copters and I don't even know which companies there are, offering what.
After reading the lines you guys (all three of you) put out, I'm pretty sure you do.
So here it is: Could you guys give me some points/features to look for and some pitfalls to avoid for a first timer on a first purchase??
Also, How do you all feel about "Tandem" rotor ships ? Any harder to learn on or simply different?? (Than the Pod and Boom copters)

Any and all help Greatly appreciated..................................Thank s Much.......................Dave
Old 05-30-2004, 08:14 AM
bdphil

This conversation always ends up turning into a fist fight. Just kidding.

First, before you start thinking about what kind of heli, you need to think about what YOU want to do with model helicopters. Do you have a real interest in spending the time and money needed to become a heli pilot, or do you just want to have something to mess around in the yard with every once in a while?

If you a genuine interest then you're probably gonna want a 30 size glow powered heli. They are considered by many (including me) to be the best beginner heli. They offer greater stability/visibility/economy than the little electric helis. Most of your local heli flyers will have experience with them and be able to help you with assembly, setup and learning to fly.

Electric helis are attractive to beginners because they are supposed to be less expensive, less dangerous, and don't require a large flying area. As for being less expensive, who knows. The ones I've seen needed a ton a expensive upgrades just to perform "adequately". Less dangerous, probably. Flying in small areas, definitly. Are any of these features things that a beginner should base their decision on, not really.

Look around in the heli beginners forum and see what others are starting with. Read their experiences and you'll get a better understanding of what each type of model has to offer.

The main thing to be wary of when purchasing your first heli is the manufacturers advertisements. Wild claims about how easy a model is to fly and how simple it is to build/setup/fly aren't always justified. You can turn almost any heli into a good beginner machine just like you can turn almost any heli into an all out performance machine.

BTW, the "gasser" helis we are referring to are gasoline powered helis and not the best starting place for beginners.

Ben
Old 05-30-2004, 12:23 PM
wilga12

Thanks again, Ben, for your time.
Could you elaborate just a little more on the reasons that "Gassers are not really the best place to start"
Are the considerations here only price or availability of the always popular "Upgrades" An instructor with a lot of 30 size copter experience would still be of great help on a gasser, wouldn't he??
You asked about my intentions of use. I believe, that unless the "Money" that you mentioned gets past "totally ubsurd"
I will be in the copter driving mode with the same sincerity as my involvement with fixed wing (since 1970)
I guess my ultimate goal herein,would be to finally be able to exhibit some prowess with a Tandem rotor ship,something like a "Chinook" I believe they are called.
I already do have a JR XP 652 which is a computer radio and has a heli section within the master instruction phamplet.
I really like your suggestion about surfing through the beginner forum, to see what can be learned. This I have been doing with regularity but I will say that I read of many times that someone is recommending the 50 over the 30 mostly due to reasons of stability and hover quality.

Dave
Old 06-01-2004, 09:20 AM
e shulman

Dave,

A tandem rotor model adds a new level of complexity. I think the Hirobo Tandem uses a .45 engine, so it's small but having two swashplates to setup and get perfect adds a lot. I would imagine crashes cost major bucks. A gasoline powered heli is large due to the engine and therefore heavy and expensive. Crashes are more costly. YOU WILL CRASH. That is the nature of this hobby. In Heli's there is soooooo much to go wrong. Gasoline power also brings in the interference factor more. PCM is a must and test, test, test. My first heli was a .60 custom heliboy in 1982. I think I hold the Florida State record for breaking the most rotor blades in the shortest amount of time. I'm sure Ray at Ray's hobby in Daytona still remembers me. I finally figured out after the first 10 sets of blades that as soon as my heli came up to speed the servo's twitched. (It was an AM radio). I'm sure I would have advanced much faster if I started with a .30 size ship. (I could have paid for one with all the parts I ordered). I like Gasoline now because of the long flight time, no cleanup and no field equipment required. I also think Gas is more reliable. While I see the great novelty in having a twin rotor (I'd love it). Even now I don't think I'd tackle that. (I'm also a full size heli mechanic). Good Luck.

-Manny
Old 06-02-2004, 01:47 PM
wilga12

I thank you for your time and thoughts.

It really is great to find someone with some current experience to bounce the seemingly endless supply of "Newbie Style" questions

off of. And expect to get a "thoughtout" and quality answer.

I'm really surprized to find someone who spins wrenches on fullscale copters, messing with a smaller version of the same thing on your off time.

Again Thanks, Manny

Adios...................Dave

PS. One other thing, I just recently was looking at some ones information on their website (I think it was BERGEN)
and as the webpage was drawing to a close he says: And for those of you that are interested in SCALE flight we also offer pinion gears of 10,11,12,13,14 teeth?? All to run against a 90 tooth bellgear. So what are we getting at here?? any clues?? Do the scale copters typically turn their rotorheads at a much slower speed/RPM ? If so why and does this inturn cause some other possible problems? (The confusion only gets DEEPER)...........OHY!!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:05 PM
e shulman

The different pinnion gears would be for a slower or faster head speed. A scale fuselage may require longer or shorter blades. Multi blade head would require lower head speed as would longer blades. short blades with high head speed are usefull for 3D. Also slower head speeds give slower response and more scale-like apearence. You still want the engine in the power curve so altering the gear ratio would be a must.

-manny
Old 06-14-2004, 12:07 AM
wilga12

OK. I see, Thanks.................Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 03:08 AM
SANTA

Hey Guys I Own A P Gasser With The G26 Hansen Modified In It. G26 Is Turning 16800 rpm And Is Putting Out 5.5 hp
And Holycow The Way It Fly's. Unbeliveable!!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:46 PM
syclic

I have found the Predator Gasser with just the G231 engine to be a very Happy Surprise. Having owned three other gassers (and all costing substatially more then this one) I can say this one kicks butt big time. For scale flight it is super smooth and dependable. Yet you can set it up to be a very nimble 3Der indeed.

I purchased it because of how every other Century product I have bought over the years have all been very Happy Surprises. That is because I did not expect them (for their prices) to outperform my other helis in various classes that cost much more. e.g. Their Raven 30 and 50, and their Predator Max (90) have now replaced all the others I had collected in my fleet over the years. Now I even have tried some of their scalers and been equally impressed.

Try any of them, you will love em.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:52 PM
ccm15
My Feedback: (72)

I just started building mine today with the 231 engine. I have had this itch for a gasser for years and now this seems like a reasonably priced high quality kit. I hope it really does 3D cause 30% nitro fuel in a 90 machine is expensive.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:53 PM
NVerted

I just started building mine today with the 231 engine. I have had this itch for a gasser for years and now this seems like a reasonably priced high quality kit. I hope it really does 3D cause 30% nitro fuel in a 90 machine is expensive.
I've got the Predator gasser with the 231 and it will 3D very easily.. The Hanson 26 is even more powerful. I went from glow 90's to gasser and wondered why I didn't do it sooner. It's at least 15X cheaper to operate than 30% nitro 90's and a whole lot less trouble. I'm running 6.92/1 gear ratio now and it has even more pulling power through tumbles, etc... before I was running 6.43/1 and while that is a good ratio I think the 6.92 pulls aerobatics better, if you're wanting to cruise and do big graceful manuevers then the low ratios are fine. Some guys are running 6.28, personally I wouldn't go any lower than that nor any higher than 7/1.

Flights are long so get a good battery system like Lithium and get ready for some fun. I'm about to order my second gasser this week, it's going in my Hughes 500E that had Raptor 60 mechanics in it before, soon it will be Predator Gas powered with NO SMOKE and hopefully by next summer a 5 bladed head to round it out.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:14 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Nverted can you tell me more about this five blade head for your your predator?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 PM
NVerted

Hey Paulson,

The 5 bladed head is the Century one. Here's a link to their multi blade heads:

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?currentid=199

Sweet eh? I've seen that head flown on the Century H500E with a Predator glow 90 and it flew awesome, in fact it was flown without a special multi-blade gyro, the head was flown raw and was very well behaved and that 500 looks so good with the 5 bladed head, it really rounds out the package. A friend of mine has pics of this very heli on his website www.rotorworks.net, poke around and you should be able to find his pics.

Here's a link to my H500 that will be getting the Predator gasser mechanics soon: http://www.helidriver.com/images2/H500flying8.jpg

If it flies well with the new gasser mechanics I will likely give the 5 blade head a try next year, it looks too good to pass up.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
paulsen

I looked at the "rotor head systems" page at Centurys website and all the rotor heads are for tail rotors. Are you sure they sell five blade main rotor heads?

I just saw your buddys Hughes 500E w/ Century five blade head so I guess they do sell multi blade heads. I must be retarded because I ripped the Century site apart looking for them, but I can't find'em.I'll just keep digging around the site.

Man that is one sweet setup your buddys got w/ the H 500E. I was looking at the vario H 500 w/ benzen mechanics, and I remember thinking the price was a little high, and you have to special order the ccpm conversion [sm=greedy.gif]. The Century version seems to be better priced and equipped.

Ike
Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
NVerted

You're correct, Century has just updated their website and I no longer see the rotor heads. They used to have them posted a few days ago.

I'll have to check in and see what's up with the lack of heads all of a sudden. It may be they are simply out of stock or the website may not be finished.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:01 AM
paulsen

I just heard from Payton at Rotorworks that they stopped selling the multi heads for a while to redesign for better performance. He said they will be back in production as soon as the head is fully redesigned.Thanks for referring me to the site its loaded w/ Century owners.

Ike