Notices

Toki Engine Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:22 PM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toki Engine Troubles

Just installed my new Toki 40 in my Hawk this weekend. Found the factory carb settings way too lean. Richened high speed needle one full turn and low speed needle one full turn. Second flight(just hovering) I hear something bad and motor locks up causing clutch and fan to spin off. No crash but after inspecting motor I found the rod broke, just above the crank. I had no more than 15 minutes on this brand new engine. When I orginally received the motor from Century I could only find one carb holder screw. Shook the motor just for the heck of it and heard something clanking inside the motor. Took off the back cover and guess where the other carb holder screw was? Insided the engine! Also ordered the motor online so you are supposed to get free regular ground shipping. Well they charged me shipping. Called and they gave me a credit, but still a hassle. I will call Century Monday and we will see how they handle this. I'm not going to say anything bad about Century yet, but I am very axnious to see what they do.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:18 PM
brunobl

Default RE: Toki Engine Troubles

ORIGINAL: Yakmonoff

Second flight(just hovering) I hear something bad and motor locks up causing clutch and fan to spin off. No crash but after inspecting motor I found the rod broke, just above the crank.
Good that you did not crash.
I had a conrod break on me too, but in a TT 50. In my case it broke just below the piston wristpin. I was flying circuits, the engine quit when turning from downwind leg to base. Had no previous autorotation training, had to do it there and then. Didn't crash either, I was very lucky to get it down intact. Now I have an OS 50 Hyper. So much power it's almost frightening!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:39 PM
genovia

The carburetor has been pre-adjusted at the factory before shipping to obtain the maximum performance under normal operation. However, according to fuel, muffler, glow plug, weather condition
etc. it is necessary to make precise adjustment.
1) Open the needle valve 3 3/4 turns from the fully closed position.
2) The factory default setting for the idle adjustment screw is 4 1/4 turns open from the closed position.

The manual clearly guides the settings for this particular engine and the way to determine that the engine needles are set accordingly, prior to flight or during the break-in procedure check the needles if they are properly set by closing them all the way and resetting them per instructions. This goes to all engine, it is the safest way to insure that the needles are set based to the recommended factory settings.

Second flight(just hovering) I hear something bad and motor locks up causing clutch and fan to spin off.
Prior to flight, during spool up, on the first flight you would have noticed the condition of the screaming engine, as well, as the speed of the blades, by then it would have prompted you to consult the manual.

Because you have already turned both needles to a full turn, that alone would have been abnormal if we base our settings to its counterpart the OS engine and if we base it from OS 1 full turn is questionable, there for Toki might have its own settings for its own engine? FYI the Toki .40 is a powerful engine, there for special care and careful preparations must and should be applied versus to its other competing engines in the market to date.

I did not catch this statement when I wrote the RMA. and it is a major contributor to engine failures.

I hear something bad and motor locks up causing clutch and fan to spin off
When you heard something "bad" could it be the bolt came off and the assembly that is attached to the engine came off, which led to the engine failing in flight? The RPM of the motor was too high and when abruptly distrupted, caused the conrod to lock up and broke off?

The reason I asked is because, we at times blame the engine for a bad sub assembly.

In any rate, your engine will be evaluated and tested. For the record, the Toki engine has minimal return claims for evaluation, most and all are failure to read the full directions and failure to read and follow the steps provided in the manual. We will work with you and provide you with utmost service.

Yours truly,
Antonio Genovia
Old 05-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Gorgok

Richening it that much and letting off power would severely bog the engine down... Basically hydro lock... Hydro lock at high throttle would look nasty internally im sure.

I don't have issues with my engine, but i did richen it a maybe 2 clicks past 3 3/4 because its hot and humid here. I'd rather be a little safer than get every ounce of power out of the engine.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

antonio, my man. i shipped your motor back via ups yesterday(5-9-06), should be at your shop on monday. why dont you just go ahead and keep your motor(i will send the pipe back, too) and credit my card for the original price(minus the credit you already did for the shipping charges) and we will call it a day. thanks