Notices

Hawk Problem

Old 07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk Problem

collective on my hawk sport with toki 40 rotortech cf 550 blades red dampers is terrible. i have played with the pitch, throttle curves and done everything i know to do. full collective up is slow and full down will hold inverted but not climb. its like the blades or something wont hold pitch. i checked pitch with gauge and have +10 and -10 in 3d mode. however it seems to change after i fly and check it with the qauge. i know it should be better than it is but i am stumped. i change point 3 on my pitch curve yesterday from 50 to 30 and it was actually better. all i want to do is fly but i just cant get this thing setup right.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hawk Problem

Hey, Im down near Louisville and fly a hawk. I have had no problems with mine and would be glad to help you out. What radio are you flying? Did you buy this new or used? what servo are you using for collective? MOST important, are the ball links really tight or easy to move on the balls but with no play? Are you using the 6mm or 5mm feathering shaft in the head?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
hvac

i bought everything used. put it together myself. i think i found the problem. the collective servo arm was slipping on the servo output shaft . i replaced the servo today with a brand new futaba 3010 and flew tonight. it is much better but still not right. i noticed that if i hold the flybar and twist the main blade the swashplate moves a lot. the blade probably twists a good 3 to5 degrees. way too much slop in my opinion. i guess i will have to buy a new all metal swashplate. i use a hitec eclipse radio, 5mm feathering shaft and the links are not tight and dont seem to have a lot of play but i probably should replace them also. some local heli guys are flying at a soccer field tomorrow just south of indy on the east side of I65 directly across from st francis hospital on arlington st. are you a century rep? i called somebody in your area a few weeks ago and left a message with a female but nobody ever called back. i really need somebody with century experience to look at my heli. nobody around here flys century, its all hirobo,ma and raptors. if you want to drive up and meet me that would be great. my cell phone # is 317-339-1317
Old 07-16-2006, 10:56 AM
[email protected]

The servo sounds like part of the problem for sure. As to the slop, check the washout assembly arms for play on the bearing. If they still have the brass bushings you can replace them with some car bearings. Take your instructions and it will call out the size in the assembly. Make sure that with the 5mm FS that the brass spacers are installed. You can check this by seeing how much play is between the shaft and dampers. I had an early tail strike due to those not installed. The spacees i believe didn't come with the hawk IV but are on the Hawk Pro. The dampers inside dia will fit the 6mm shaft but allow to much flapping with the 5mm shaft. I wouldn't worry about the links right now but work on slop. Hold the swashplate firm and then see how much you can twist the blade. Look real close as to were the movement is accuring. Treat the control system as two seperate subparts being divided at the swash. INPUT is from the servo to the link attach point on the swash then ouput is the ball race of the swash to the blade. You will not need to buy the all metal swash to remove the slop, spend the money on the bearing upgrade for the control system. If the swash plates have excessive movement between the upper and lower then check the screws on the bottom. No, im not a rep, the call you made was the guy in Scottsburg. Not much to offer in my opinion and yes i have meet him and then stopped by his shop. One very small room in the back of his sons tatoo parlor with some stuff hanging on the walls and it is also is his work shop. I have been to the Hobbytown on the north side and he has a small selection left for the hawk. He carrys more for the 3D Pro than the hawk but still can get parts. Im trying to get my local shop started with century parts but its slow.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:04 AM
[email protected]

As to meeting you and looking over your heli, i would be glad too but i just changed shifts at work and working 12 to 16 hrs a day. The group you talked of should be able to give you a good look over. Most helis are very similar and they all operate using the same princibles. If you have any questions feel free to call me also. 502-741-9664. I work Wed thru Friday and everyother Sat. I am off next sat but have to go to Tenn. We could plan on getting together soon, i still have flying buds in Indy from when i worked at ATA.
Let me know how it goes.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 PM
syclic

You say that you bought it used. I would susoect that the head may not be assembled properly. Go to Century's site, click on the customer support icon, then the instruction manual icon.

Then click on the Hawk Sport full manual (not the quickbuild). When the PDF manual has loaded, go to step 4 on page 6 and look at how the blade grips and spindle are to be assembled. You may have a head with the outer washers installed improperly (large inside small outside) and be sure they are mounted in the right order with the small washer inside, riding against the bearings and the larger one on the outside against the locknut.

For inverted flight I would suggest that you change the spindle arrangement from your Hawk Sport to that of the newer Hawk Pro - go to the HW3180C (with the special spacer that compresses the dampers more) unit from the Hawk Pro
Old 07-17-2006, 11:38 AM
hvac

the servo and arm was the main problem. everything is assembled properly. i also put the wood blades back on. it flys pretty good finally. good climb out and inverted power is ok. the funkey cf blades i was using were also part of the problem. they suck. they are too heavy and just dont fly very well. the woodies are 100% better. i might also try the thunder tiger blades. the guys i flew with saturday say they are not bad. they all fly SAB and v blades on their 90's. there is still slop in the swash and excessive play in the cyclic controls, but it flys pretty good for now. i will replace most of that stuff later. thanks for your help
Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
syclic

What Funkey blades - are they white or silver/grey?

The old white ones where a bit too flexible tortionally, but I really like the current silver/grey units.

As for the play in the control system. Unlike the current version of the Hawk (PRO), the older Sport had mostly bushings in the control system, you can easily and inexpensively upgrade your Sport using this bearing U/G kit.

http://www.heli-world.com/SearchResu...Words=CNBB1001

And get stiffer damping using the Hawk Pro Feathering spindle;

http://www.heli-world.com/SearchResult.aspx

Two relatively inexpensive additions that really make it come to life.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 AM
hvac

funkey gray blades. they do not fly as well as the woodies. all ready have the red dampers with sleeve and all bearings no bushings anywhere. the hawk pro feathering shaft is exactly the same as the one in the sport if you are talking about HW3180.