Notices

Hawk II to Raven conversion

Old 01-26-2003, 04:00 AM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk II to Raven conversion

I was thinking about buying a new RAven, but got to looking and wonder if I could just buy the ECCPM upgrade and bearing upgrade and would that be all I needed to have the Raven?
Old 01-26-2003, 04:28 AM
rotordoc

Default Changing the HAWK II to a Raven 30?

Economically it would not be worth it. Changing to the longer 10mm mainshaft alone would cost a small fortune.... mainshaft, washout hub for 10mm shaft, main rotor hub for 10mm mainshaft, changing rotor blade grips to the 6mm spindle and thrust bearings etc. etc. etc.

That is like upgrading a 1998 Honda Accord to a 2003 Accord. Lot of similar parts, but to many to change to make it worth it.

You are better to sell your Hawk II or relagate it to a "scaler" and go to a New Raven.

Heck if you are well into forward flight etc. I would sell the Hawk II with engine etc. And step right into the Falcon SEV2 or Raven 50. Now you will be making a step up that will really be noticable.

Bert
Old 01-26-2003, 07:30 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU

Well, the conversion kit comes as a 8mm main shaft. As far as the tail issues. I didn.t know there was a difference between them. I thought about just buying the Hawk SE or Raven, but thought this may be an option since the Hawk II isnt worth too much and many of the parts are interchangable.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:37 AM
syclic

Default Hawk II conversion

You can get the 8mm eCCPM conversion for the Hawk II and have a eCCPM Hawk II. It would have the eCCPM control system like the Raven along with a metal swashplate, radius guide etc, but would not have other features of the Raven 30.

e.g.:
New type of canopy and fins, dual boom supports, longer 10mm system that allows a bigger pitch range, metal rotor hub and triple bearing tail and maybe a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Your Hawk II has probably developed a fair bit of play in the lower end of the mechanical system, so this could tighten it all up a bit.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU

Thanks Syclic,
That is sort of what I was looking for. Economically it may be to my advantage to do this. I am still on the fence. I want a 30 size that will fly great and last a while without having to replace worn out parts.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:02 PM
syclic

Default Hawk Sport w/bearing kit

Then I would suggest that you get a new Hawk Sport ($160) with the CNBB1001 bearing kit ($22). Now with everything bearinged the heli will fly even more slop free then the Rav30 (The Rav30 does not have the bearings in the bell mixer arms and the washout arms), and stay that way for a long long time, you will get a 10mm mainshaft heli etc. and your Hawk II can supply "crash parts" and others(blades, spindle, flybar,blade grips, lower and upper sideframes boom and many others).

For only $182.00 you will have what you want plus a very complete crash kit (your old Hawk II).