Notices

Honest replies only!!!!!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Flyer2k5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest replies only!!!!!

Has anyone taught themselves how to fly without an instructor. Is it possible to teach myself to fly a Hawk pro? Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 07:04 PM
giavonnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Honest replies only!!!!!

Hello I did teach myself to fly copters I started out on a Hirobo XRB Lama which I think is the easiest heli to fly and most inexpensive to fix and also is extremely durable for its size. I then moved on to use a realflight simulator and used that for a few weeks while I was building my Raptor 30. I was flying by myself within two months. I and probably considered a intermediate heli pilot now I am working on 3-d soon. I think I learned so quickly because I opperate heavy machinery for a living and that takes the same skills as flying.

-G
Old 01-20-2007, 08:14 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you live in Augusta! There all TONS and TONS of pilots in that area.

I would highly discourage teaching yourself.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Mikes machines

Yes I taught myself. Would I do it over again. Definately not. I crashed a Hirobo Shuttle 7 times in about 3 months. Each crash averaged about $100.00. I became very discouraged and did not try to fly the Shuttle for almost 8 months, then I tried again. This time I actually got to burn through about 4 or 5 tanks of fuel before I wrecked it again. I had no idea what a throttle curve was, I had no idea what idle up meant, I let the smoke out of a $120.00 gyro, I had no idea how to set the blade tracking. If I would have had someone to at least tell me why the little pushy thing on the spinny thing needs to go to the right I could have saved several crashes and saved LOTS of aggravation. Yes its possible, no it wont be easy and no it wont be cheap. If you dont want to or cant find some help at least get a sim.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63527.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	602748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31669.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	602749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18432.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	602750  
Old 01-20-2007, 09:14 PM
giavonnie

Well I think the question was did you learn to fly on your own and I think that is not the hard part as long as you try on a small inexpensive heli as for the set up I definately think you should have expert help with that and also the explaniation of how to work the transmitter and switches just to clarify my answer I DO NOT RECOMMEND learning to fly you first heli on a gasser due to the cost and more importantly the safety.

-G
Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
bshaf

Yes you can. But I would get someone to help you. I have been flying rc airplanes for 1 1/2 years. From trainers to fast delta wings. I put the Hawk Pro together, played with the radio till I understood how/what things do. Got it set up pretty good for someone who never delt with a heli before. Bought a rotopod training gear. (best thing I did) Started hovering in the driveway, had some close calls with the car/trees/me. Called an expert from the rc field
to check out my set up. He set up the pitch/throttle curve, trimmed to hover. It would have taked me days/weeks to figure out everything, if ever. I'm hovering but not doing any real flying yet. But I havent't spent any money on repairs yet. The expert I got to help me said he started out without anyone to help him, cost alot for repairs but he learned on his own.

Good luck
Bob
Old 01-21-2007, 10:30 PM
credence

Alot of folks have learned on their own, me being included with them.

And, just about anyone who learned to fly on their own will tell you, it's an expensive way to learn!

You can save your self a ton of money by getting someones help, not to mention spare your self aggravation.

Whether you can learn to fly by your self all depends on how deep your pockets go..
Old 01-22-2007, 08:59 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

flew a sim all winter a couple years ago until i could takeoff, land, hover(in all orientations) and do fast forward flight. then put a training pod on an old hawk sport i bought really cheap. set it up myself and taught myself to fly it. no crashes and after a year i can do rolls, loops and i am just learning inverted flight. take your time, have an experienced heli guy help you with any setup problems and be safe. we dont need no stinking instructors!!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
ChopperMike

Is it possible to teach yourself to fly, definitely yes. I did it some 20 years ago. Would I recommend it today, definitely not! First thing I would change, get a sim, which weren't around back then. Second thing is I would have sought out the help of an experienced flyer. Even if it means drivng some distance it'll be worth it. Especially in the initial stages. I started with a Concept 30 and then a Hawk II and I was able to teach myself and I didn't crash a whole lot but I dragged my feet quite a bit. It wasn't until I got to forward flight that it started to get expensive. A sim and some help would have gone a long way.

Mike
Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM
gbrandt1

I taught myself how to crash a heli !!! Would not do it again....too costly not to mention dangerous.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 248 Likes on 200 Posts

If you lived in the Alaskan wilderness thats one thing but there's plenty of helicopter events and pilots in the south east that you shouldn't even consider it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Michael G

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

Dude you live in Augusta! There all TONS and TONS of pilots in that area.

I would highly discourage teaching yourself.
Actually I haven't found Augusta very supportive of helicopters. Only about three clubs in the area. The largest (Trenton RC in Trenton, SC) doesn't even allow helicopters. The field is very nice with plenty of space, but for some pretty lame reasons they don't want helicopter pilots. My son-in-law and I fly our larger planes at the club, and then go right across the street to a large open industrial complex to fly our choppers.
We are both self taught (still learning). I bought us two Blade CP's and we still use them to try new stuff before trying them on our electric Swift. To learn helicopters you must be willing to put in a lot of time and take it slow. You will crash, but even with some buddy box help you will crash. Get something easy and cheep to repair first. Also a simulator will save you a LOT of time and repair money.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Oud31

I learned on my own with a Hawk Sport, and FMS flight sim, and also lots of reading on the internet. It was'nt that bad you just have to be patient and take one step at a time. The satifaction of doing something myself was kind of good too, but it sure would have been a Heck of a lot easier and less expensive if there would have been someone to help me with the set up.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
reaaz

If you can soak up & understand any reputable information (eg.. raptortechnique.com for all the rator helis)
Spend most of your time on the setup & gain intemediate proficiency on the sim before you start up. yes, you can

I managed to do all this & learn on the R60 & have come through the learning curve unscathed. Didn't have much of a choice as experienced heli pilots are nonexistant down here.

If you find an experienced pilot/setup guy around.. sure lean on them a bit.. but don't be totally dependant on them.. learn how to tune your own engine.. how to scrap & setup the machine, how to balance the blades, how to use the pitch guage to set blades in track before you even fly & other essential maintenance skill you must have to fly emm

Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM
donthomas
My Feedback: (7)

When I learned (mid 80's) there wasn't any heli activity in central NC. A small group of pattern flyers decided to teach ourselves helicopters. We learned by the fly and buy method. (fly on sunday...buy parts on monday) There were 4 of us then and we all learned to fly, and one (Wayne Mann) became one of the best heli pilots on the planet. Now you have alot of tools we didn't have and much better equipment. Help is always good, but it can be done on your own......
Old 03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Cambo

I just got my hawk in the air with no help at all. I didn't find the throttle/pitch curves hard at all to setup and trimming and tuning was easy.

I did however have experience with a smaller electric heli (FP corona) that got me used to the basics and i already had engine tunning experience from my airplanes.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 AM
madmcphil

I taught myself on a Raptor 30 and a Hawk. Best explain why two. Lets just say only one remains..... Raptor was written off. Bought a Hawk Pro and taught myself to fly. My advice to you is if your going to learn alone buy this one book.... it will explain everything. Read it at least 2-3 times and do exactly what it says. THE BOOK IS RAYS AUTHORITVE HELICOPTER MANUAL

After having this book I learnt a hell of a lot. Flying is fun to me now... where before it was a wallet sweating, nerve biting, mind frying experience. Teachng yourself to fly can be demoralising at times....but keep ploughing on and learn from your mistakes.

I myself would have been interested in Heli lessons.... just never did them.... and never found anyone wanting to help unless I joined their "club" with a whopping charge too for joining let alone the lessons. Thats the best thing about a Hawk.... crashing 2 of them to the point of no repair will cost you the same as all the lessons.

Hope my post helps!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Mutt

ORIGINAL: Flyer2k5

Has anyone taught themselves how to fly without an instructor. Is it possible to teach myself to fly a Hawk pro? Thanks
Yes you can. There are lots of guide lines to follow out there to help you to learn how to fly it. I learned on my own my best friend learned on his own it can be done. I never have crashed mine yet I have been doing the helis for a while now. Take your time go at your own comfort level once you can hover nice and solid in all directions then do low figure 8's once you get that down then go up higher and higher next thing you know your flying also learn to do autos.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
lottomunch

learned on my own but went through a few helis to do it (no sim until forward flight).

Started on a piccolo.....crashed 400 times......tail and nose in hovering
then a Corona.....crashed twice......forward flight, stall turns, and loops (big and scary with a FP heli)

now flying a hawk, trex, raptor 50 and Blade CP.

Never had anybody check setups ever and I can tell you the stupid stories to prove it........(one of my best is not being able to figure out why my corona tail was so difficult to control. well it ended up that I had the gyro mounted sideways and the tail wasn't moving in the axis the gyro was monitoring.)

Daniel