Notices

Does any one know??

Old 03-15-2007, 11:29 PM
spinner74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does any one know??

Can any one tell me what type of Century this is.? I bought it used and was told it was a century hawk 30. I have found no part # on it any where.It has a o/s .32 nitro engine. Any help would be cool.
Thanks Don.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Does any one know??

Pics
Old 03-30-2007, 10:34 AM
snoopops

If your refering to the pics in your gallery then yes, it is an Hawk Sport (early version) although it seems to have some parts missing....like the fuel tank LOL
Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 PM
syclic

That is not even the Hawk Sport from 5 years ago. That is the Hawk II from about 10 years ago!! Even the older Hawk Sport is a very different heli (better) then that one. And when comparing to the current Hawk Pro, it would be like comparing a 1985 Honda Civic to one from 2005 - Big differences, really two different cars except for the name.

Just to name a few of these differences:
1 - Canopy - new canopy is bigger and nicer looking
2 - Mainshaft diameter - the more recent models have a 10mm unit instead of an 8mm unit
3 - Mainshaft length - Longer to allow 4 degrees more collective pitch range
4 - Seesaw - More throw
5 - Washout hub - for 10mm mainshaft with oilite sliders inserted
6 - Swashplate - New swashplates have a machined center star and all ball joints are metal
7 - Rotor Hub - More heavy duty with longer washout guide pins
8 - Blade grips - 4mm blade bolts and more heavy duty
9 - Top Servo tray - different top tray to deliver more clearance between collective arm and aileron control rods
10 - Fuel tank - larger fuel tank
11 - Control bellcranks etc.- all use metal ball joints
12 - Control bellcranks and arms - all now pivot on two bearings instead of bushings
13 - Upper mainframes - current ones are reinforced differently and are much stronger with better fan shroud molding at the top.
14 - Lower frames - The ones in the Hawk Pro are the 2mm metal ones from the Raven 50, that move the fuel tank under the mainmast for minimal change in c.g as fuel is burned and which provides better cooling for the engine (heat sink effect of the aluminum).
16 - Start shaft - Now use a hardened start shaft with a hex coupler instead of the pinned plastic cone of your 10 year old unit.
17 - Tail drive system - the Pro uses a very modern aluminum torque tube drive system instead of the wire-in-tube drive of the one in your gallery.

There are a numer of other differences I am sure but these are just some that come to mind immediately.

As you can see, other then the name, the current Hawk Pro and the one in your gallery are two very different helis. About the only thing of consequence, that is common to both, is the name, the great two stage power system and tail rotor.

Many other manufacturers will change the name of the model if they only change 5 or 6 items. Sometimes I wish Century would do the same with their 30 size model. It would make it so much easier for those less knowledgeable about them, to know there are big differences between them.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 PM
spinner74

Thank You Fellas. Now ,my next question then would be , Should I continue making RTF I have recently Put on a new fly bar, fuel tank glow plug and remote. New cooling fan, Servos. (Hi Tec 475 ) I have a FutabaT6EXHP With new Align RC-RX6 FM/PPm Ch 51 Crystal.
In your expert opinion What should I Do? Im interrested in Little above basic flying techniques. Im not trying to a pro 3D expert. But I do want to have a somewhat modernized heli. Is the chopper i have cappable of what I am setting out for?I thank you guys for all your help. Any info from any body will be appreciated.
Don
Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM
syclic

Yes, it will do fine for basic hover and FFF training - that is what it was initially designed for. I have never owned that model but a number of my club mates did and they learned to fly with it....even doing loops and rolls.

Though it is nowhere near being the low mainenance, slop free, great 3D heli the Pro is, it should do what you want.

I am not familiar with the Align RX, but it may be a short range park flyer type of RX designed for smaller 450 size electric helis. It may not be a good choice here. You did not mention what gyro you plan to use.

You can download the manual here:

http://www.centuryheli.com/support/m...ml?currentid=2

The Hawk Sport complete instructions and the Phoenix instructions combined (use the rod lengths from the Phoenix) should help you get it set up initially.