Notices

Hawk pro is Kinetic 50?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:41 PM
StreetgliderX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk pro is Kinetic 50?

Is it just me or is the new helimax K50 just a hawk pro with a .50 engine?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
syclic

Default RE: Hawk pro is Kinetic 50?

IMHO, it falls somewhere between a Hawk Pro and the Raven 50 from Century.

Seems there are a few worthy differences added when going to a Kinetic 50.

- The Kinetic has the 4mm flybar like the Raven 50.
- It has the bigger flybar paddles from the Raven 50
- It has the same 6mm feathering system as the Raven 50, with thrust bearings.
- The Kinetic has a different gear ratio (9.01/1) then the Hawk to better suit the 50 size engines
- It has a much longer tail boom that can use blades as long as 620mm, like the Raven
- It has the dual dogbone stainless steel torque tube system from the Raven 50
- It comes with the larger fuel tank from the Raven
- It comes with the wide stance heavy duty landing gear from the Raven.
- It comes with longer 600mm wood blades.

What that the Raven 50 has over and above, for only an additional $70.00 is:
- A very good set of 600mm composite mainblades
- A machined metal rotor hub
- A rotor hub that is not only secured by a bolt, but als by a clamping arrangement at the base.
- A machined metal swashplate
- A swashplate radius guide
- A machined clutch bell
- A constant drive tail rotor for aerobatic and backwards autos whoch also allows a change to an even lower gear ratio (8.76/1)
- eCCPM control system

That is a lot of difference for just an additional $70.00.
Heck, upgrading the Kinetic with any two of the above would probably cost more then $70.00.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
StreetgliderX

therein lies my problem i already bought a K50 and after some research i seen the pics of a hawk pro and the frames looked identical. now i wonder if parts interchange since the K50 is too new to have a large aftermarket parts base. thank you for the great reply
Old 06-26-2007, 03:52 AM
flyguyrick

ok i also have a k50 that i have 99% complete what is constant tail dive system i understand that the tail rotor continues to turn with the main blades but doesnt the main blades still turn the tail rotor on regular autos. im still new to helis and i was told that the hawk pro parts will fit this heli by my lhs so is it worth the 55 bucks to upgrade now to a constant drive tail and how do u lower the gear ratio.

thanks for the info
rick
Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

No. When the engine is turning both the tr blades and the mr blades turn. With no engine power only the main blades turn. A constant drive tail gives you two things, more drag on the system (making it harder to auto) and tail control during your landing (good for arobatics). For a beginer it helps in that you are capable of pointing the heli in a confortable direction during and auto (tail in for example) but again, a costant tail slows down the system. If you are confortable in all hovering orientations and arn't doing aerobatic autos yet than i wouldn't worry about it.

Another thing to concider. In a non costant tail drive system (your stock kinetic) if something goes wrong with the tail you can safely land. But in a costant tail drive system, if something goes wrong with the tail, you are hosed.

Good Luck
Cameron
Old 06-30-2007, 09:05 PM
superfly13_69

I just got a Kinetic 50, and flew flights 2-5 today with no crashes (my first heli!!) I love it. And later on, I'll get some of the upgrades that would "turn it into a Raven". I've noticed the first few things I want is the header tank & anti-rotation bracket, when I get better at flying enough to notice. The stock head & swash have no problems that I can see. I will upgrade to graphite MR, TR & paddles eventually. But the eCCPM was enough not to get the Raven. Good for 3D, but not for learning how to fly a heli IMHO.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 PM
syclic

The Hawk Pro is a really great 30 size heli.

I understand the K-50 is made for Hobbico, by Century, and it is much like a stretched Hawk (somewhere between the Hawk Pro and the Raven 50 from Century). It seems like in some countries in Europe (e.g. the U.K.) you can by the K-50 as the Hawk 50.

So, considering its' proven heritage, I can see the K-50 to be a great 50 for its' price.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
theLane
My Feedback: (1)

A century rep out here said that Century sold the technology to Helimax and they just re-branded the Hawk.